In memory of George Coster, A.M. Rector of Fredericton and Archdeacon of New Brunswick, born November 29th, 1794, died January 9, 1859. Eleanor, his wife, and Maria, his sister.
A handsome stone, engraved on both sides, marks the deaths of the Archdeacon and his wife. A crypt at Christ Church Cathedral contains their mortal remains. Maria Coster (born 1787, died 3 February 1862) is buried here.
Born at Newbury, Berkshire, England, Archdeacon Coster came to Fredericton in 1829. His wife was Eleanor Hansard (born 1797, died 11 March 1863). They lived in the rectory on George Street, which later became the Limerick home.
Behind the rectory on Charlotte Street lived their only son, the Reverend Charles George Coster, who taught at the old Academy (Fredericton Collegiate School), which was first on Brunswick Street and then on George Street. He married Grace C. Holbrook, a daughter of the former headmaster. Rev. Charles Coster boarded some of the out-of-town boys in his home, the western ell of the house having been built to accommodate them.
Archdeacon Coster had eleven daughters, seven of whom married. Volume III of this work mistakenly named Gertrude Coster as the wife of Joseph Edmund Collins; Collins’ wife was Gertrude Anna, a daughter of Dr. Murphy.