William Davidson and William Watts

Davidson

To the Memory of William Davidson who died May 19th, 1818, ae 25 years. Also, his wife, Mary, died May 23rd, 1858, ae 74 years.

In Memory of Lydia Ann, wife of Dr. J.C. Hurd, died 2nd February, 1864 in the 32nd year of her age.

Footstone: "L.A.H."

Lydia was a niece of William Davidson and Mary Watts, who were Methodists. Her husband, Dr. James C. Hurd, was a medical doctor as well as a Baptist preacher.

William Davidson was buried in 1818 in what was then a far corner of the park. The plots, then, were consecrated individually. The monument, inscribed to the memory of William and his wife, was erected after her death. There were only two monuments in this plot in 1856 but several graves. The plot is shared by Davidson and Watts.

The Christ Church Baptismal Record shows a daughter, Lavinia Jean, born 15 March 1817, to William and Mary Davidson. The census of 1851 indicates that Mary Davidson, 60, and her daughter Lavinia, 31, were lodgers in the home of Martin Lemont. In 1871, Lavinia, milliner, was a lodger in the home of John Barrett.

William Watts 1793-1865

William Watts was the son of William Watts, Loyalist. He was a cabinet maker like his father, a city assessor, and a gardener. Ann (1794-1840) was his first wife, by whom he had six children: Elizabeth (born 1814), William Watts, Jr. (1816-1854), Jane (born 1818), Reuben (born 1823), Samuel (born 1837), and James (born 1831).

Catherine Davidson (born 1808) was the second wife of William Watts, and the aunt of Lavinia Jean Davidson [sister to Lavinia’s father, William Davidson]. The 1861 census lists the household of William Watts, 68, gardener; Catherine, 53; Anna, 17; twins Mary and Herbert, 12; and Lavinia Davidson, niece.

When Hon. George Sproule, the first Surveyor General of New Brunswick, died in 1817, pasture lands leased from the College were redeemed and sold as lots. They began at George Street and extended southwest along the westerly side of the Maryland Road. Twenty acres, running twenty-two chains along the Maryland Road, became for some thirty years the noted market garden of Mr. William Watts, "florist." It was entirely under cultivation. He was the Vice President of the York Agricultural Society and won many prizes, as did his wife, Catherine, for her pickles and preserves. In May 1845, he was granted a patent on the "Watts Potato Digger."

"The Rookery" at 751 Brunswick Street was the home of his son, William Watts, Jr., barrister.

See also The Old Burying Ground, Vol. I, p. 179.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *