The Elijah Clark family

Clark / Clarke

Elijah Clark claims a lot NEW PART adjoining Chestnut lot being about sixteen feet front on the avenue, enclosed with a wooden rail fence and marked by monuments to his son William C. Clark and to his daughter. This lot was purchased from R. Woods some 20 years ago, 1866, for the sum of $16.00.

Elijah Clark, born March 31, 1816, died May 18, 1894. Margaret, his wife, born May 22nd, 1823, died Jan. 30, 1908.

Eliza H. Clark, born May 7th, 1848, died June 6th, 1882.

Charles S. Clark, born Aug. 22, 1856, died July 23rd, 1885.

Julia A. Jordon, eldest daughter of E. Clark, born April 25, 1843, died Sept. 13, 1885. Janet C. Jordon, grand-daughter of E. Clark, born March 8th, 1873, died March 8th, 1890.

Duncan McK. Clark, born Sept. 1854, died Nov. 17th, 1883.

M. Alice Clark died June 28, 1915.

Footstones: “W.C.C.,” “E.H.C.,” “J.C.J.,” “C.S.C.,” and “M.C.”

Today there are no monuments for the grave of Elijah Clark nor for his daughter Julia A. Jordon. The marker "W.C.C." is all that remains for William, who died at the age of 20, in 1870.

Isaac Clark, the father of Elijah and uncle of Abraham Henry Clarke was buried here at Fredericton, 1851, in the 89th year of his age. He came from Maine in 1777. During his last sixty years, he resided in Fredericton where he was highly esteemed by the Methodist Society, with which he had been connected for fifty years, and by the inhabitants generally. He was one of the first trustees of the Methodist Church in Fredericton, built about 1808.

Royal Gazette Supplement, Fredericton, NB, 13 August 1842:

Married in the Wesleyan Chapel, Portland at 6 o’clock on Wednesday last, by the Rev. George Miller, Mr. Elijah Clark, of Fredericton to Margaret, youngest daughter of William McKee, of Portland, St. John.

Elijah Clark sold shoes and was also a hatter. His shop was on Queen Street and he lived on Westmorland. He was a Director of the People’s Bank in 1863. Alice Clark, Elijah’s daughter, taught in the New Brunswick Normal School for many years. She was the author of Domestic Economy and Plain Sewing and Knitting, 1890.

Daily Telegraph, Saint John, NB, 19 May 1894:

Elijah CLARK, one of Fredericton’s oldest and most respected citizens, died at an early hour Friday morn., age 78. Deceased was born near Bridgetown, N.S. and removed to Fredericton in 1841 going into business as a hatter. He ran his business successfully until about a year ago when he was forced to assign in consequence of liabilities assumed in connection with the affairs of Geo. Hatt & Sons. Deceased leaves a widow and two daughters, Mrs. Geo. HATT and Miss M. Alice CLARK of the Normal School.

Alexander Burchill and family


Lot #23. A four-sided granite stone stands in this lot, engraved on three sides.

In memory of Alexander Burchill, born April 13, 1832, died Oct. 28, 1906. Also his wife Amelia Williams, born Dec. 21, 1841, died August 12, 1899.

In memory of Ellen Howell, wife of Alexander Burchill, died Nov. 10, 1861 aged 23 years. Also her daughter, Mary Burchill, died in the 4th year of her age.

In memory of James Burchill, died Sept. 20, 1889, aged 72 years. Also his wife, Charlotte M. Segee, died February 8, 1901, aged 72 years.

Alexander Burchill was the superintendent of Fredericton’s water-works. His son was Charles Burchill, a druggist. His brother, James Burchill, a mason and a builder, lived at 765 Charlotte Street. The Burchills were Irish.

Alexander Burchill claims a lot in the B. Ground. Situate in the New Part, about the 3rd tier from the upper fence. Enclosed by a wooden paling, and marked by a headstone to Claimer’s wife. This lot was purchased from Robin Woods on July 19, 1861, paying $10.00 for the same.

George Woods and his wife Jane Fenton


Miss Lillie A. Woods claims a lot 13 x 20 situate in the new part and adjoining a small lot owned by one Jasper Murphy with monument. Half of the above lot is enclosed with granite posts, the other half having no enclosure but simply marked off. This lot was purchased by Miss L.A. Woods’ mother some 20 years ago from R. Woods for which a receipt is held.

A large new rose quartz stone, with “Father” and “Mother” engraved on the base, stands in this lot. It is four-sided and engraved on three sides.

“FATHER” In loving memory of George Woods, who departed this life 6th October, 1859 aged 59 years.

“MOTHER” In loving memory of Jane Fenton, wife of George Woods, who departed this life 13th October, 1887, in the 81st year of her age.

The home of George Woods stood on the site of 24 Waterloo Row.

Advertisement, November 1828:

The Fredericton Reading and News Room are now opening for the reception of members and their friends in Mr. Hatheway’s brick building in Queen Street opposite the Military Promenade every day, Sundays excepted, from 9 o’clock in the morning till 9 o’clock in the evening. George Woods, Fredericton, December 2.

New Brunswick Courier, 7 March 1835:

Married on Wednesday morning, 25th ult. in Christ Church, Fredericton, by the Ven. Archdeacon Coster, Mr. George Woods, merchant, to Janet, eldest daughter of Mr. James Fenton of Dramore, Ireland.

Mary Hamilton and the Reid family


Mary Hamilton, born April 23, 1774, died April 23, 1868, ae 94.

Jane H. Reid, born May 1, 1802, died June 24, 1889.

James D. Reid, born Oct. 24, 1824, died Nov. 4, 1907.

John Hamilton Reid, born June 27, 1822, died Jan. 4, 1911.

Robert A. Reid, born May 24, 1827, died June 8th, 1910.

John Mitchell Reid, 1854-1928. His wife, Louise Frances, 1855-1935.

James Reid, Jr. born 1854, died 1863, ae. 9 years.

A black imitation marble stone has replaced the early ones. Robert A. Reid, father of John Mitchell and James Reid, Jr., is not buried here but in Carleton County although his name is on the stone. In this plot is a second small monument for James Reid, Jr., twin brother of John Mitchell Reid. This small stone was carried away several times but it was later found and returned.

Mary Hamilton’s husband, Robert Hamilton, died at a young age of fever while travelling from Ireland to visit one of the early American colonies. Her daughter, Jane Hamilton, married James Reid from Scotland. Mary Hamilton, Jane Reid, and Jane’s three sons, John Hamilton Reid, James D. Reid and Robert A. Reid, came to New Brunswick from Ireland by way of Scotland in 1826. Mary died in 1868 at the Reid homestead in Fredericton.

The old Reid home, where they kept a general store, stood just above the Ryan block on Queen Street, and was the only building left standing in the centre of Fredericton after the fire of 1850. The Reids owned a farm, “Camp Fordham,” four miles below Fredericton, on which was a mile-long shooting range, where in 1870 an All Canada Meet was held. It was part of the Simonds grant purchased by John Reid in 1854.

The 1851 census records that J. H. Reed [Reid], 26, English, merchant, was living with his mother, Jane Reid, 42, Irish; his brother, Robert A., 22; and his grandmother, Mrs. Hamilton, 68, Irish. The household in 1871 consisted of John H. Reid, his mother Jane, and John M., aged 16.

John Hamilton Reid was the President of the York County Agricultural Society for many years and the superintendent of the Exhibition Grounds. It was mainly through his efforts that the magnificent Exhibition Palace was built in 1863-1864. When the building went up in flames in 1877, fire flakes fell on houses below the Cathedral. All parts of the city were in danger. The second Exhibition building, built the next year, burned in 1882. A great horseman, J.H. Reid brought into the Province some excellent sires and, with one importation from Kentucky, he travelled in the same car.

John H. Reid claims lot 12 x 14 in the new part, bounded on the east by A.W. Richey’s lot on the northwest by the first walk running parallel with Barrack Lane at lower end. This lot was divided into two parts. One part which is enclosed by stone posts and rods under the control of Mr. George Woods and the other belonging to me. I claim for Mrs. Woods and heirs the right of interment in her lot. This lot was purchased from Henry Chestnut in 1859 by Mrs. Woods and Mr. Reid.