“Our Babies” Stella and Robbie Wilson

Wilson

Zitella Elizabeth Wilson Nov 24

Robert Arthur Wilson, Dec. 1, aged 4

Elizabeth Wilson, 1837-1898

This stone sits on the Pinder lot. A record made for the York-Sunbury Historical Society in 1938 reads: “Elizabeth, wife of John Wilson, died November 23rd, 1898, aged 61 years.”

From the Cathedral records of 1885 we learn of the tragic loss of a little son and daughter commemorated by the double tombstone, "OUR BABIES Stella and Robbie." Zitella [Zitelia] E. Wilson was 7 years old. The children died of diphtheria.

John Wilson, Sergeant, 15th Regiment, and his wife, Elizabeth, had a son baptised Charles James on 5 October 1885.

Richard Pinder and family

Pinder

Pinder, Zitelia Susan July 27, 1876, 3 months

From the Old Burying Ground records, City of Fredericton:

Richard M. Pinder claims a lot 8 x 13, old part bounded south by the Charles Mills lot, east by William Anderson’s lot and on the north by A. Estey’s lot. Enclosed by four wooden stakes and marked by monuments with names Stella and Robie on same. This lot was marked for the above claimer by William Craig in the early 1870s.

“Stella” and “Robbie” were the children of John and Elizabeth Wilson.

Richard M. Pinder lived in Brunswick Street on the north corner of Church. He was a partner in Cooper’s carriage trade in the 1870s, Cooper and Pinder. The carriage factory was in King Street between York and Westmorland Streets. He married Frances C. Payne, eldest daughter of Richard Payne, in 1874. Zitelia Susan was their daughter. Several others of their children died young, including two sons of diptheria in 1881.

Census, Fredericton, NB, 1901:

Pinder, Richard, head of household, born Feb 16 1846, aged 55

Francis, wife, Aug 28 1846, 54

Annie, daughter, Mar 19 1881, 20

May, daughter, Dec 30 1882, 18

Gertrude, daughter, Apr 16 1885, 15

Jack, son, Oct 4 1889, 11

Annie, mother, widow, Apr 6 1814, 86

Richard Pinder’s mother Ann, widow of John Pinder, was a confectioner and grocer. In 1861, the census showed Ann Pinder, 46, sharing a home with Elizabeth, 24; George, 13; Mary, 9; and three grandsons: Henry Devitt, 5; Francis, 3; and George R., 1 month.

The New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66 lists Richard and James Pinder, both carpenters, at Queen near St. John Street. Lovell’s Directory 1871 shows Richard M. Pinder, Colwell Pinder Company, Queen Street, and James K. Pinder, Builder, Queen Street.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 1 April 1896:

Major Wm T. Howe of Stanley (York Co.) and Capt. R.M. Pinder of this city, two of the oldest officers in the 71st Battalion, have resigned their commissions in the militia…. Capt. Pinder has been connected with the militia for nearly 35 years. He was a member of the old Victoria Rifles and was with his corps at St. Andrews at the time of the Fenian scare. He was a crack rifle shot in his younger days and was at Wimbleton with the Canadian team in 1875.

Pinder is not a common surname in Fredericton, and others listed in the records are most likely related to Richard Pinder.

Private James “Jimmy” Parsons

Parsons

In Memory of Private J. Parsons, died May 23rd, 1885, aged 20 years. This tablet was erected by his comrades of "A" Company, Royal School of Infantry

The Parsons lot is between the Colter and Anderson lots.  A handsome marble tablet marks the grave of "Jimmy" Parsons, son of Andrew Howard Parsons of Fredericton, who died of black diphtheria.

Daily Sun, Saint John, NB, 26 May 1885:

Private Parsons, Infantry School Corps, who was sent home from Sussex, with an attack of diphtheria, died in the hospital at Fredericton Saturday afternoon and the remains were interred the same eve. with military honors, a firing party in charge of Sgt. WILSON turning out from I.S.C. and 71st batt. The Fredericton brass headed the cortege and services at the grave were said by Rev. F. Alexander. Parsons belonged to Oromocto (Sunbury Co.) and removed with his family to Fredericton last spring. He was unmarried.

Fredericton Evening Capital, Fredericton, NB, 3 December 1887:

The memorial tablet in memory of the late Private J. parsons is now completed and ready for setting up in the Rural Cemetery, Fredericton. It reflects the greatest credit of John Moore from whose work it was sculptured.

There are also four small tombstones belonging to the Parsons family erected by B.L. Parsons, sister of Private J. Parsons: "My brothers Jimmy and Andrew," "Jane, our pet sister," and "Mother." Miss Parsons’ brother Andrew, considered the best painter in his day, was born in 1871 and died three months short of 100 years of age.