Hon. Charles MacPherson and family

MacPherson

The Hon. Charles MacPherson died June 8, 1874, aged 72 years. Elizabeth, his wife died April [?] 10th, 1878, aged 55 years.

Henry Porter, drowned at sea Feb. 3, 1876, aged 28 years.

Chas. Simpson died Dec. 12, 1874, aged 20 years. Sons of Chas. and Eliza. MacPherson.

Fannie died Sept. 4, 1864, aged 24 years. Daughter of Charles MacPherson.

This lot measures 12 x 14 feet.

Charles MacPherson was a lumber merchant, his place of business in Regent Street near the wharf. He bought from the Robert Rankin Company, shipbuilders, a property along the river next above the court house and built a frame house at the lower end of Campbell Street on Market Square. This house was directly behind that of the Hon. John S. Saunders whose house faced Queen Street.

Fannie, buried here, was the only child of Charles MacPherson and his first wife, Fanny Belyea.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 27 January 1836:

m. Grace Church, Portland, St. John, Monday morn., 18th inst by Rev. G. L. Wiggins, Charles McPHERSON, Fredericton / Fanny Susannah BELYEA 2nd d/o William BELYEA of Indiantown.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 5 November 1842:

Died on the 23rd ult. after a long painful illness which she endured with meek and patient submission to the Divine Will, Fanny Susannah, wife of Mr. Charles MacPherson of this place, aged 27 years, leaving an only daughter

In 1846 Charles MacPherson was married, secondly, to Elizabeth ("Eliza"), eldest daughter of Henry Porter, Esq. of Saint John, an alderman and Justice of the Peace. They were married in Saint John. Henry Porter MacPherson, son of Charles and Eliza, was born on 15 February 1848 and baptised in the Old Kirk in Fredericton on 11 June 1848.

Charles MacPherson was a member of the Legislature for York County continuously from January 1851 until 1861, during which time he was elected five times and was sent to England as an emissary. Also, for the year 1857, he was a member of the Executive Council and Chief Commissioner of Public Works. Charles MacPherson was elected again in 1870 and was active until his death in 1874 just prior to the election in that year in which he was unable to offer as a candidate. Lemuel P. Wilmot was escorted by Charles MacPherson to the hustings where from a platform in front of the Old Market House he made his debut in a political speech, very powerful, and he was returned unopposed as the representative for the County of York.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 10 June 1874:

Death of Hon. Chas. MacPHERSON – at one time carried on an immence business in lumbering, shipping, ship-building, etc. and for many years represented this county in which he was born and resided for the past 70 years. He was first elected to the House of Assembly in 1851, and again at the general election in 1854. He was appointed to the office of Board of Works on Sept. 4th, 1856 which he held for upwards of a year. For two or three sessions he retired from public life, to be elected again in 1870.

Descendants of the Honourable and Reverend Jonathan Odell

Odell

Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth Ludlow, wife of George M. Odell, M.D., of Fredericton who died April 19, 1861 in the 35th year of her age. "Them that sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."

George Mountain Odell, M.D., died at Newport, Rhode Island, April 21, 1892 in the 75th year of his age. "I believe in the life everlasting."

Charles Odell, C.E., May 27, 1898. Sadie Odell, Dec. 3, 1910. Erected in loving memory of our dear father and mother.

These three tombstones are surrounded by a stone fence.

G.M. Odell at present at Newport State of Rhode Island claims a lot in the burying lot 18 x 24, situate in the north corner enclosed by a wooden fence set on stones. Purchased from Robert Wood about 1861.

The Honourable and Reverend Jonathan Odell came to New Brunswick in 1783 with the New England Loyalists. A clergyman of the Church of England, he was for many years the government Secretary of the Province. His only son, Hon. William Franklin Odell (1774-1844), also a Loyalist, had four sons: William Hunter, George Mountain, James, and Charles. The house in which they were born and brought up had been built by their grandfather, Rev. Jonathan Odell. Their father, William F. Odell, later built "Rookwood", and the original family home ultimately became a residence for the youngest son, Charles.

George Mountain Odell lived for some time in St. Mary’s on the Caleb Fowler farm, which his father subsequently bequeathed to him in 1844. In 1846 he bought a town house in Brunswick Street from Horatio Nelson Drake and married not long after.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 3 November 1847:

Married on Tuesday, the 26th ult. at St. Paul’s Church, Halifax, by the Rev. Dr. Twining, Chaplain of the Garrison, George Mountain Odell M.D., son of the late Hon. W.F. Odell of Fredericton, N.B., to Elizabeth Ludlow, daughter of D.L. Robinson, an uncle of Deputy Commissary General Robinson.

Dr. G.M. Odell married, secondly, Susan Philipse, daughter of Morris Robinson. She was a cousin of the Honourable F.P. Robinson. In 1865, Mrs. George Lee bequeathed to Susan P. Odell, her niece, wife of Dr. George M. Odell, £100, “also her work table and sofa table,” and a portrait of her father Morris Robinson. There is no inscription here in memory of Dr. Odell’s second wife.

New Brunswick Reporter, Fredericton, NB, 27 April 1892:

Intelligence of the death of Dr. Geo. M. Odell at Newport, R.I. last week was heard with sorrow by many of the old families in Fredericton whose physician and friend the deceased had been. Dr. Odell was for many years a leading physician here. His remains were brought to this city Monday and interred in the family enclosure in the old cemetery. The chief mourners were Capt. Odell, nephew of the deceased; Delancy Robinson, F.A.H. Straton and Geo. C. Hunt. Closely following these were all of the city physicians. The pall bearers were Sir John Allen, Judge Fraser, Lt. Col. Maunsell, Andrew Inches, E.H. Wilmot and J. Henry Phair. Capt. Odell was at the bedside for a couple of days before he died and accompanied the remains to the city. Rev. G.G. Roberts performed the last rites at the grave.

Charles Odell, born 16 August 1826, was twice married, first to Maynard Eliza Grange (born 1835) by whom he had two children, Florence Mary and George Grange. In 1867, Charles married, secondly, Sarah, daughter of John D. Kinnear, Judge of Probate for Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. They had five children. His eldest son, George Grange Odell, often visited his father from South America where he worked as an engineer. It is remembered that one of his parrots hid in the Cathedral and disrupted a Sunday service.

Their house, occupied for a hundred years or more by the Odell family, is now the Deanery. It is shown in the first town plat, the plan of which was made by Lieut. Dugald Campbell. Above each of the two upper rooms was a loft or sleeping quarter, entirely separate. The large iron rings bolted into the woodwork were probably placed there to chain deserters during one of the early periods of the movement of troops through Fredericton. Until 1844, this house with gardens, yards, stables, outhouses, together with land in rear, extended to Charlotte Street.