John Williams and John C. Williams, carpenters

Williams

In memory of Eliza, wife of the late John Williams, who died Feb. 17th 1889, aged 84 [?] years.

John C. Williams, born Oct. 27th 1837, died Nov. 18th, 1873. Erected by his wife. "Boast not thyself of to-morrow for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth."

The Williams lot was purchased from Henry Chestnut in 1864.

John Williams, husband of Eliza, was a carpenter and a builder. He built and lived in the first house below the gaol on George Street.

John C. Williams, also a carpenter, was his son.

The eldest daughter of John and Eliza Williams, Elizabeth H., married John Robinson in 1857. The widow Eliza Williams and her children, John, Henry, Emma, and Fanny, shared a house with the John Robinson family in 1871.

Colonial Farmer, Fredericton, NB, 30 October 1871:

m. Christ Church, 18th inst., by Rev. J.C. Pearson, Charles C. VAIL, Carleton (St. John) / Frances M. WILLIAMS d/o late John WILLIAMS, Fredericton City.

Alexander Burchill and family

Burchill

Lot #23. A four-sided granite stone stands in this lot, engraved on three sides.

In memory of Alexander Burchill, born April 13, 1832, died Oct. 28, 1906. Also his wife Amelia Williams, born Dec. 21, 1841, died August 12, 1899.

In memory of Ellen Howell, wife of Alexander Burchill, died Nov. 10, 1861 aged 23 years. Also her daughter, Mary Burchill, died in the 4th year of her age.

In memory of James Burchill, died Sept. 20, 1889, aged 72 years. Also his wife, Charlotte M. Segee, died February 8, 1901, aged 72 years.

Alexander Burchill was the superintendent of Fredericton’s water-works. His son was Charles Burchill, a druggist. His brother, James Burchill, a mason and a builder, lived at 765 Charlotte Street. The Burchills were Irish.

Alexander Burchill claims a lot in the B. Ground. Situate in the New Part, about the 3rd tier from the upper fence. Enclosed by a wooden paling, and marked by a headstone to Claimer’s wife. This lot was purchased from Robin Woods on July 19, 1861, paying $10.00 for the same.

Alexander McCausland and family

McCausland

Lot #134. This lot, about 12 feet square, was enclosed by a massive granite curbing with higher granite posts. It is bounded on the north by the Hunt/Smithson lot and south by the lot of Henry Torrens. It contains four handsome white marble memorials and two large white marble footstones. The inscriptions on the four sides of one monument read "Alexander McCausland," "Susannah," "Albert," and "Amelia."

In memory of Alexander McCausland, died 12th December, 1868, in the 67th year of his age. Also his wife, Margery, died 8th September, 1836 ae 27 years and Mary, their daughter, died 10th Dec. 1834 ae 4 years.

Amelia Jane McCausland, 1847-1936. "He giveth his beloved sleep."

In memory of Albert McCausland, died 28th July 1865 ae 35 years. Also his wife Susan died 12 Aug. 1860, ae 22 years.

Susannah Hendry, second wife of Alexander McCausland, died 10th Jan. 1904 ae 88 years.

Franklin A. McCausland, born May 20, 1849, d. Dec. 31, 1926.

In memory of John McCausland, died 14th Sept 1860 ae 38 years. A son of Alexander and Margery.

In memory of Eva, wife of Charles A. McCausland, died Oct. 10th, 1880 ae 26 years.

In memory of Minnie Maude, daughter of James and Ellen McCausland, died July 30th, 1868 ae 18 months.

In memory of Catherine Lyons, wife of Frederick J. Doherty, died Oct. 9th, 1901, aged 70 years.

Footstones: "Father, A.McC." and "Mother, S.McC."

Alexander McCausland and John Torrens in 1846 were school teachers. The former went into business with Thomas Simmonds, a leather cutter. The firm advertised in 1852 as SIMMONDS & McCAUSLAND. In 1870, McCausland and Sons advertised in the Colonial Farmer: "A. McCausland and Sons, Leather and shoe findings, McCausland Building, corner Queen St. and Phoenix Square." Alexander McCausland was in the loyal ministry of the Methodist Church in connection with the Fredericton circuit for thirty years and a member for fifty years.

The second wife of Alexander McCausland was Susannah Hendry. The Hendry family lived at MacDonald’s Point.

The census, 1861, Fredericton, lists Alexander McCausland, 59, Ireland, Tanner, Methodist; his wife, Susannah, 56; James, 27; Amelia, 13; and Franklin, 11. James, the youngest son by his first wife, Margery, was reputed to be a fine amateur actor and worked in his father’s business. Another son by his first wife, Albert W. McCausland, a widower, was boarding with Hubbard Williams. Albert McCausland was a watchmaker and jeweller. At the age of 16 he had lived with his uncle, Justin Spahnn, as an apprentice.

In the 1861 census is an entry for Lucretia McCausland, widow, 31, Methodist, and her children: Anna, 10; Charles, 8; Ella, 7; and George H., aged 5. Also in that household was Catherine “Kate” Lyons, a cousin of Lucretia, 28, born in Ireland.

Lucretia was the widow of John, son of Alexander and Margery McCausland. She married, secondly, Thomas Gilmour of Saint John, a merchant. Her young family went with her to Saint John, but Charles, her eldest son, became a watchmaker in Fredericton like his uncle Albert McCausland. Charles was famous locally for his astronomical clock.

In 1878, Charles McCausland and other heirs of the estate sold their corner of Phoenix Square to A.F. Randolph, who built on this lot an outstanding wholesale business.

James Pollock and Esther Lowrie family

Pollock

Buried near the Sampson lot in unmarked graves are James Pollock (1796-1870), his wife Esther Lowrie (1791-1874), and two of their children: Jane (1822-1850), the eldest daughter, and Esther L. Mullin (1827-1848). Henry Lowrie (1804-1884) and his wife Ellen are also buried here.

Mrs. James Pollock, Esther, was a sister of John and Henry Lowrie.

Hill notes:

Benjamin P. Williams, Parish of Douglas yeoman and Catherine his wife sold to John Lowrie for 100 pounds by deed of sale June 1829 and recorded register deeds and will, River St. John front 9 chains 11 feet 20 acres more or less with all houses, out houses, buildings edifices fences before Peter Fraser reg 10 June, 1833.

Esther L. Pollock married John Mullin, a shoemaker, on 1 July 1847 and died within a year. He remarried soon after, and his first child was named Esther.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, and Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 19 April 1848:

Died at Fredericton, on the 8th inst. Esther, wife of Mr. John Mullin and fourth daughter of Mr. James Pollock, aged 21 years.

James Pollock, a saw filer, had come with his wife in 1820 to New Brunswick from Ireland, according to the 1851 census. In 1842, James Pollock was a Lieutenant in the New Brunswick Regiment of Artillery. The family attended the Methodist Church. They lived on the corner of King Street, and the Sampson family lived in the next house on Carleton Street. The Pollock home was destroyed by fire in 1850 and nothing was saved.

According to the 1851 census, the household of James Pollock, 54, Irish, Labourer, included his wife Esther, 60, Irish; Henry, son, 14; and John Williams, lodger, 18, English, “subject to fits.”

New Brunswick Reporter and Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 5 August 1870:

Died on the 22nd ult., in this city, Mr. James Pollock aged 74 years.

Henry Pollock, the only son of James and Esther, was born in 1838. He was a harness maker and lived with his parents until 1861 when he moved to Cambridge. While there he was married and became a member of the British Order of Templars. When he returned to Fredericton, he formed a lodge. Henry’s wife, Matilda Hall, lived with her aunt Martha Pollock prior to her marriage.

Lovell’s Directory 1871 described him as a carriage trimmer at Carleton and Brunswick Streets. In 1881, Henry Pollock was 42, Methodist, harness maker, living with Matilda, his wife, 43[?], and their children: Charles H., 15; Esther, 14; William H., 12; Mary, 10; Jennie, 7; John, 4; and George, 1 year.

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 6 June 1891:

The ‘Boston Herald’ — Charles Pollock, a young carriage trimmer has been missing since last Saturday. He left his residence at 103 Union Street about 5 o’clock Sunday eve. and that was the last seen of him. He worked at 153 High St. and had no relatives in Boston, his home being in Fredericton, N.B. – He is a son of Henry Pollock who is trimmer at Edgecombe’s carriage factory.

Henry Pollock was a well-known citizen, living in a house he built in upper Charlotte Street. He was a member of the Volunteer Fire Brigade and Captain of No. 1 Hose Company, consisting of eight men and the hand reel, and also played in the city brass band. When he died, in 1918, he was given the largest Odd Fellows funeral ever seen in Fredericton.