Asa Coy and son, druggists: “Leeches, Leeches, Leeches”

Coy

In Memory of

Mary Ann Coy

Asa Coy

Sarah Coy

Holly Coy

This stone is engraved with "Dear Father and Mother 1885" on the face and one name on each side of its base. The lot was once enclosed by an iron fence with stone posts.

Mollie died July 16, 1876, ae 5 months.

Mollie was a granddaughter of Asa Coy, a child of his daughter Sarah who married J. Henry Phair.

Asa Coy was born in Gagetown in 1799, son of Amasa Coy (1757-1838) and his first wife Elizabeth Holly. He came to Fredericton from Maugerville with his father and was brought up in Fredericton, where he lived out his days. He had two sisters, Sarah Smith and Rebecca Bunnell Simpson, and two stepbrothers, John S. Coy (born 1812) and Amasa P. Coy (born 1815).

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 3 August 1824:

Married by the Rev. George Best, Thomas B. Smith, of Burton, to Sarah, eldest daughter of Mr. Amasa Coy.

Asa married Mary Ann (1805 – 1884) in Fredericton on 29 March 1825, the daughter of Jarvis Ring (born 1781) and his wife, Sarah Hartt of Canning. Asa Coy was a licensed auctioneer and prosperous. The Coy block, where the family lived above the shop, is on the southeast corner of Queen and Regent Streets. The family was Calvinist Baptist, like all early Maugerville settlers. A portrait of Asa and Mary Ann Coy is in the York-Sunbury Historical Society Museum.

In 1836, Asa Coy was Vice President of the Union Fire Club. In 1837 he was treasurer of the New Brunswick Baptist Education Society. In 1838, he founded the Bank of Fredericton, of which he was President. In the general election of 1843, Asa Coy was a candidate in York County but was defeated. In 1847, he set up his son, Asa Holly, as a druggist. "LEECHES LEECHES LEECHES — Asa Coy and Son Druggists," read the sign. Asa Coy was the paymaster of the New Brunswick Yeomanry Cavalry for many years, appointed in 1849. In 1850 he was appointed Receiver of Crown Debts and later Secretary of the Board of Works.

The children of Asa and Mary Ann Coy were Asa Holly (born 25 May 1827), Caroline Ring (born 6 May 1829), Sarah Elizabeth (b. 22 March 1831), Mary Ann (born 1 November 1832), Fanny Rebecca (born 29 April 1835), Harriet Amelia (born 12 September 1837), Fanny Rebecca Simpson (born 14 January 1840), George Frederick (born 9 January 1844), and Amasa Simpson (born 19 April 1846).

Three daughters of Asa Coy died in infancy. It is not known where these children are buried.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 16 March 1836:

Died on Monday morning last, Frances Rebecca, infant daughter of Mr. Asa Coy, aged 10 months.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 25 October 1848:

Died on the 12th instant, 1848, Harriet Amelia, fourth daughter of Asa Coy, Esq. aged 11 years and 1 month. Remarkable from her earliest childhood for her gentleness, amiability and thoughtfulness of disposition, she exhibited in the severe and protracted illness that preceded her death. Also, on the 25th instant Fanny Rebecca, fifth daughter of Asa Coy, ae 8 years and nine months.

Asa Coy’s eldest daughter, Caroline Ring, married Levi Waterhouse, Saint John, and they had one child, Ann. Mary Ann married William Watts, florist, Fredericton, who very comfortably provided for her.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 29 October 1851:

Married at Saint John, on Thursday Morning last, in Trinity Church, by the Reverend Alexander Stewart, Mr. A.H. Coy, Druggist of Fredericton, to Mary Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Stephen K. Foster, Esquire of that City.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 13 March 1850:

Married, at the Cathedral Church, Fredericton, on Wednesday, the 6th inst. by the Venerable the Archdeacon [Coster], J. Henry Phair, Esq. to Sarah Elizabeth, second daughter of Asa Coy, Esq., of the City.

This marriage proved not to be a happy one.

In 1861, Asa and Mary Ann Coy had their daughter Sarah Phair living with them and their grandson, Edwin, age 10. Asa Coy was then Secretary of the Board of Works, Queen and Regent Streets., and his son, Asa Holly Coy, was clerk of the Board of Works.

Asa Coy died in 1874.

J. Henry Phair as agent for his wife and Mrs. Caroline Waterhouse claims this lot enclosed with iron and post chains, marked by a monument to the late Asa Coy. This lot was formerly purchased from Henry Chestnut.

J. Henry Phair was a barrister and Fishery Commissioner. He was a keen sportsman, of an artistic nature, very personable. He several times went on fishing trips in New Brunswick with Teddy Roosevelt, President of the United States, of whom he was a great admirer. In 1891, J. Henry Phair was appointed Clerk of the Legislative Council. This Council met for the last time in 1892 but the salary of the Clerk continued for his lifetime.

Asa Coy, 31 March 1846 — “My Grandfather’s Family on my Father’s Side":

Sarah — Mrs. Plummer, first child. Died several years ago at the Nashwaak leaving several children and a numerous progeny of grandchildren.

Amasa — Born in Connecticut then a British colony, 24 July 1757. Married at Gagetown, 1797 or 1798 to Elizabeth Holly. Three children Asa, Sarah Smith and Rebecca Simpson. Married the Widow Smith in Burton in ? Two children, Johnny and Amasa, who died in Burton. Amasa and Elizabeth Holly were my parents. He died at Fredericton July 18, 1838.

Asa — Third child. Died before marriage, smallpox.

Edward — Still alive, lives in Canning, Queen’s County. Several children

Hannah — Mrs. Cromwell, died four or five years ago at Burton. Four children. She was the first English girl born on the St. John River

John — died many years ago at the Nashwaak. Several children

Rebecca — Mrs. Bunnell. Died in Fredericton 1846. Left no issue.

Levine — Mrs. Turney. Died several years ago at Swan Creek. Left several children

Mary — Mrs. Morris now Mrs. Bradley. Never had any children.

David — lives at Gagetown. Several children

Benjamin — Also lives at Gagetown. Several Children. Is an ordained minister in connection with the Baptist Association of this Province.

William Davidson and William Watts

Davidson

To the Memory of William Davidson who died May 19th, 1818, ae 25 years. Also, his wife, Mary, died May 23rd, 1858, ae 74 years.

In Memory of Lydia Ann, wife of Dr. J.C. Hurd, died 2nd February, 1864 in the 32nd year of her age.

Footstone: "L.A.H."

Lydia was a niece of William Davidson and Mary Watts, who were Methodists. Her husband, Dr. James C. Hurd, was a medical doctor as well as a Baptist preacher.

William Davidson was buried in 1818 in what was then a far corner of the park. The plots, then, were consecrated individually. The monument, inscribed to the memory of William and his wife, was erected after her death. There were only two monuments in this plot in 1856 but several graves. The plot is shared by Davidson and Watts.

The Christ Church Baptismal Record shows a daughter, Lavinia Jean, born 15 March 1817, to William and Mary Davidson. The census of 1851 indicates that Mary Davidson, 60, and her daughter Lavinia, 31, were lodgers in the home of Martin Lemont. In 1871, Lavinia, milliner, was a lodger in the home of John Barrett.

William Watts 1793-1865

William Watts was the son of William Watts, Loyalist. He was a cabinet maker like his father, a city assessor, and a gardener. Ann (1794-1840) was his first wife, by whom he had six children: Elizabeth (born 1814), William Watts, Jr. (1816-1854), Jane (born 1818), Reuben (born 1823), Samuel (born 1837), and James (born 1831).

Catherine Davidson (born 1808) was the second wife of William Watts, and the aunt of Lavinia Jean Davidson [sister to Lavinia’s father, William Davidson]. The 1861 census lists the household of William Watts, 68, gardener; Catherine, 53; Anna, 17; twins Mary and Herbert, 12; and Lavinia Davidson, niece.

When Hon. George Sproule, the first Surveyor General of New Brunswick, died in 1817, pasture lands leased from the College were redeemed and sold as lots. They began at George Street and extended southwest along the westerly side of the Maryland Road. Twenty acres, running twenty-two chains along the Maryland Road, became for some thirty years the noted market garden of Mr. William Watts, "florist." It was entirely under cultivation. He was the Vice President of the York Agricultural Society and won many prizes, as did his wife, Catherine, for her pickles and preserves. In May 1845, he was granted a patent on the "Watts Potato Digger."

"The Rookery" at 751 Brunswick Street was the home of his son, William Watts, Jr., barrister.

See also The Old Burying Ground, Vol. I, p. 179.

Alexander Anderson and children

Anderson

In Memory of Alexander Anderson, died March 8, 1848, aged 47 years

Also Elizabeth Anderson, died November 10th, 1846, aged 4 years

Also Isabella Anderson, died March 8th, 1848, aged 9 months

Also William Anderson, died November 12th, 1850, aged 10 years.

Alexander Anderson of Fredericton, labourer, bought land in 1845 on the new Needham Street “as laid out by Mark Needham,” and evidently was strong and prosperous until residing in his new abode, where he and three of his children died within a few years.

His wife was Maria Saunders, and the family attended the Kirk. She and her only surviving child, Alexander, remained at their new address adjacent to the famous garden of William Watts. Charles Mills, her second husband, was a gardener.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 19 April 1852:

Married on the 13th inst. by the Rev. J. M. Brooke, Mr. Charles Mills to Maria, widow of the late Alexander Anderson, all of Fredericton.