George Edward Fenety, Queen’s Printer and Mayor of Fredericton

Fenety

Lot #171.

Sacred to the memory of E.M. Sutton Fenety, son of G.E. and Eliza Fenety who died January 26th 1886, aged 31 years. "Thy will be done."

Dear Kate, daughter of G.E. Fenety and Eliza Fenety, died 17th March 1867, aged sixteen years and six months.

Dear Arthur, son of G.E. Fenety and Eliza Fenety, died 28th May 1866, aged seventeen years and eight months.

Albert G. son of G.E. and Eliza Fenety, died Feb. 11th 1864, aged one year and ten months.

Footstones: “E.M.S.F.,” “A.G.F.,” and “A.F.”

New Brunswick Courier, Saint John, NB, 4 June 1842:

m. Saturday eve., by Rev. I.W.D. Gray, George E. Fenety, Editor & Prop. of ‘Morning News’ / Elizabeth Wallace youngest d/o late Capt. Jonathan Wallace of St. George (Charlotte Co.)

George Edward Fenety (born 1812) was a son of William Fenety and Mary Hall. His first wife, Elizabeth, died in 1845. Eliza Ann, youngest daughter of Robert Arthur, was his second wife. They were married in New York in 1847 and had nine children. One daughter, Mary (“May”) Isabel, married Charles G.D. Roberts.

G.E. Fenety was Queen’s Printer 1862-1896, author of Political Notes and Observations (1867), and elected Mayor of Fredericton in 1877. While mayor, he presented the city with the present town clock. He also caused to be set out the row of maple trees along the river’s embankment in front of the town. The gardens of his home "Linden Hall" were a show place. His home was on Brunswick Street opposite the Cathedral and the gardens covering four lots stretched from Brunswick Street through the block to George Street.

James Walker Wallace

Wallace

Lot #55. A plain iron rail surrounded the second lot from George Street, which appears to be vacant as there are no tombstones. Buried here, however, are James Walker Wallace (died 1890) with his wife Martha, and their unmarried daughters, Rachel and Annie.

James Wallace was a son of Robert Wallace and Mary Strachan, born on 17 May 1849 and baptised in the old Kirk. He altered Fredericton’s lighting from oil lamps to gas. A sister of James Wallace married Robert MacReadie, who later altered the gas fixtures for electricity. Another sister, Mary, the second wife of William Tufts, is buried here with her brother’s family and her parents.

See also The Old Burying Ground, Vol. III, p. 244.

Doak and Tufts

Doak

Mrs. Margaret Doak claims lot #10, 8 x 10 NEW PART bounded NORTH by Thomas Stewart’s lot, WEST by a wooden paling — This lot enclosed by a wooden fence and is marked by a monument to MRS. WILLIAM TUFTS. This lot purchased from Henry Chestnut in 1861, he then being secretary of the citizens committee.

In 1886 there were seven graves in this lot, marked "W. Tufts" on the plan. A high square stone marks the graves.

In memory of Andrew Doak, 1836-1871, also his wife Margaret, 1837-1906.

Joseph S. 1867-1873, Rebecca, 1861-1880, Margaret J., 1863-1882, children of A. and M. Doak.

In memory of Isabella, wife of William Tufts, died March 26, 1865 aged 26 years. Also their daughter Isabella J. died May 21, 1865.

Andrew Doak was a millman. He lived at the eastern end of Fredericton on the Doak Road. John Doak, his father, was a farmer. All members of John Doak’s family were born in Ireland, except his youngest son, John.

Two unmarried sisters of Andrew Doak, Sarah Jane, aged 32, milliner, and Mary Ann, 23, were living together in Fredericton in 1861. They are thought to be buried here, as well as Margaret Doak’s older sister, Ann Hood, who was one of Andrew’s household. In 1871, Margaret was widowed leaving her with a family of four daughters: Rebecca, 10; Margaret, 8; Isabella, 6; and Alice, one year.

Isabella, buried here with her child, was the first wife of William Tufts and sister to Andrew Doak. William Tufts was a shoemaker on Queen Street. He lived in Westmorland Street. In 1878 he is described as a Boot and Shoe Manufacturer. In 1867, William Tufts married, secondly, Mary, a daughter of Robert Wallace and his wife Mary Strachan. They lived in Marysville where he died and was buried. His widow is buried with her parents in an unmarked grave elsewhere in this burial ground.

John Simpson, Queen’s Printer: first Mayor of Fredericton

Simpson

Sacred to the memory of John Simpson, born in Aberdeen, Scotland, 14th March 1795, died 22nd February, 1863, aged 68 years. "I HAVE WAITED FOR THY INTENTION O LORD." Also Rebecca Coy his wife died April 10th, 1844, aged 40 years.

John Duncan Simpson 1840-1841.

Julia Black, beloved wife of W.A. Balloch and daughter of John and Rebecca Simpson, died April 13th, 1876 aged 40 years.

This tall monument stands alone in a lot once surrounded by a cast iron fence with a gate on the north side facing Brunswick Street.

John Simpson came to New Brunswick in 1815 and established himself as a merchant. On 30 November 1825, John Simpson and other Scots of the capital formed the Fredericton Society of St. Andrews, to which he gave many years of service from 1825 until 1853 as Secretary, 1st Vice President, and President.

In 1829 he was appointed Queen’s Printer and remained in that position until his death in 1863. In 1851 he entered into an agreement with Edward Yardy and Charles S. Lugrin to print the Royal Gazette and attend to the routine business of the Gazette office. It was published from a small building that stood just above his home at 776 King Street.

John Simpson was director of the Bank of British North America and had been President of the Central Bank of New Brunswick. He was Vice-President of the Fredericton Auxiliary Bible Society in 1840 and assisted the Ladies’ Benevolent Society in 1845. In 1847, the Legislature incorporated the Fredericton Gas Company, and John Simpson was appointed a director.

When the City of Fredericton was incorporated in 1848, John Simpson became Fredericton’s first Mayor. He was reappointed and remained in that office for five years until his appointment on 23 June 1853 as Justice of the Inferior Court of Common Pleas. Mayor Simpson and his Council became responsible for law and order. The Mayor was Chief Magistrate, and by 1851 a police force was appointed. He served on the Committee of the newly formed Dispensary to provide medical assistance to the poor. It was while he was Mayor that the Council let a contract to build a market house.

John Simpson’s first marriage, 23 February 1825, was to Rebecca Bunnell Coy, second daughter of Amasa Coy and his first wife, Elizabeth Holly. Amasa Coy, a pre-Loyalist settler of Maugerville, had moved to Fredericton where he opened a private bank and became one of the promoters of the Bank of New Brunswick.

John and Rebecca Simpson had a large family: the eldest, John Wesley, born 21 December 1825, died 8 February 1828. Mary Elizabeth, born 1829, married Rev. John Lathern, formerly of Alston, England, at the Wesleyan Chapel in Fredericton on 20 July 1859. He was Minister of the Exmouth Street Chapel, Saint John. Sarah Louise, born 10 September 1831, died 13 October 1834. Catherine Garden, born 1834, married Oliver Jones, of Moncton, at Saint Anne’s Chapel in Fredericton. Isabella Browning, born 1835, married William J. M. Hanington, eldest son of the Hon. D. Hanington, late Speaker of the House, on 29 October 1856, at the Cathedral. Both died sometime before 1886, leaving five children. Joseph Gugnor, born 1835, moved to Huron, Michigan. Julia Black, born 1836, married W.A. Balloch, a dentist. She died in the Saint John Mental Asylum and is buried here. John Sinclair was born in 1840. John Duncan, also born in 1840, died 12 February 1841 at the age of 6 months and 13 days. He is buried here. Emma Colebrook was born close to the time of her mother’s death. Baptismal records give her as Emma Rebecca, but her father’s will names her as Emma Colebrook. She married Rev. Thomas Neales, Woodstock, on 27 October 1868.

On 7 January 1845, John Simpson married, secondly, Alicia Wallace of Saint John at the Centenary Chapel. She was of Irish descent. She died in Saint John, 22 March 1886, twenty-three years after the death of her husband, and was interred here in an unmarked grave. Although there were no children from this union, she was a loving and caring stepmother.

John Simpson died 22 February 1863, at his Fredericton home. Prior to his death, "he had frequently intimated that he was drawing near his end and, in his last moments, when he felt the hand of death was upon him, hopefully, peacefully, triumphantly, he exclaimed ‘all’s well’ and fell asleep in Jesus." A cross of St. Andrew marks his grave.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 25 February 1863:

On Sunday evening last at 7 o’clock, February 22, 1863. John Simpson, Esquire, Queen’s Printer, for nearly 34 years Proprietor and Publisher of this paper, died at his residence in this city, aged 68 years.

"This event has deprived the community of one of its most valuable citizens. The poor — the widow — and the fatherless, have lost a kind and generous friend — his widow, a devoted partner — his family a loving and affectionate Parent — the Public a faithful officer, — and his Staff of Workmen and Apprentices, an Employer and a Master beloved by them all. In all the varied offices he has been called to fill, he has performed his duty to the best of his ability, and with a ready mind." …Whether as Captain of a volunteer Company, Mayor of the City, Justice of the Court of Common Pleas, or Queen’s Printer, his constant aim was to do his duty and do it well… the Volumes of Province Laws, the Legislative Journals, and all other work executed at his office will show, — as they can compare most favourably with the same kind of work in any part of the Empire. He united himself with the Wesleyan Church before he left his native country and has always been a liberal contributor towards its support in this city."