Honourable Archibald Fitz Randolph of Nova Scotia and “Frogmore”

Randolph

Here, between the Colter and Hawkins plots, there is a square lot surrounded by a handsome cast-iron fence. There are no gravestones but one large tree grows in the middle. This lot belonged to Archibald Fitz Randolph (1833-1902), who resided at "Frogmore" in 1871. The remains of those buried and the stones were removed to the newer Forest Hill Cemetery, which was incorporated in 1873.

Canadian Parliamentary Companion, 1885:

Randolph, Hon. Archibald Fitz. Grandfather, many years a member of the L.C. Nova Scotia. Born in Digby, N.S., 24th July 1833 and educated at the grammar school there. Married 9th Sept. 1858. Alminia Donaldson, daughter of Wm. Turnbull, merchant, Bridgeport, N.S. Went to Fredericton, N.B. in 1852 and became a merchant. A manager of the Peoples Bank, Fredericton since 1864. Was a director of the Fredericton Railway Co. Appointed to the L.C. 25th May, 1882. A Liberal Conservative — Fredericton, N.B.

The Chestnuts of Chestnut Canoe Co. Ltd.

Chestnut

William Turnbull Chestnut, 1867-1935

Ida C. Chestnut, 1870-1935.

Richard Henry Chestnut, died Oct. 24 1940, aged 32 years.

Maggie Jean Chestnut died Feb. 5, 1949, aged 43 years.

Harry Grenville Chestnut died July 23, 1941, aged 68 years.

A small stone inscribed "A.C.C." marks the grave of an infant, child of Will and Ida Chestnut. A larger recently erected stone now commemorates this family. Five footstones are marked "W.T.C.," "I.C.C.," "Dick," "M.J.C.," and "H.G.C."

Henry Grenville Chestnut claims a lot #179, in the New Part of the Burial Grounds, size about 15 x 20 feet. Bounded on the north side [illegible] and in between the 3rd and 4th walks from Allen St. Enclosed with an iron railing with the name Chestnut on the gate and marked Father and Mother inscribed therein. Mr. Chestnut also claims another lot, #119. Mr. Chestnut purchased this lot in the year 1863 for the sum of $15.00.

The Chestnut family lived on Waterloo Row. Harry G. Chestnut (born 1873) was President of the Chestnut Canoe Co. Ltd., which he founded about 1905 with his brother William Turnbull ("Will") Chestnut (born 1867). Will and Harry were sons of Henry Chestnut and his wife, Helen Brown Turnbull.

William T. Chestnut in 1907 married Ida Barker in Saint John.

Harry G. Chestnut married Annie Isabel Tibbits (born 1875) in 1902. The Nativity Window in Wilmot Church, dedicated on 16 April 1962, was donated by Mrs. Harry G. Chestnut in memory of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Richard White Longmuir Tibbits, and of her husband’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Chestnut.

Richard Henry, the son of Harry G. Chestnut, was born 11 February 1908. He married Sarah Elizabeth Howes in October 1936.

Maggie Jean Chestnut (1906-1949), his sister, graduated from the University of New Brunswick in 1927. She was a member of the university’s Senate and a prominent member of the community. The Maggie Jean Chestnut Residence on Charlotte Street (later Renaissance College) was not her home but a gift to the university in her memory.