Cameron and Rutter

Cameron

Sacred to the memory of Mother and Father. Nathaniel Cameron died Sept. 19th 1879 aged 81 years; his wife Martha H. died March 27th 1869 aged 60 years.

John Cameron, born Feb. 17th 1831, died March 15th 1892.

William Cameron born July 26th 1834, died July 1, 1906.

James N. Cameron, born Oct. 10th 1839, died July 26th 1893.

In memory of Martha Cameron who departed this life March 27th 1869 aged 60 years.

Sacred to the memory Thomas Rutter who departed this life May 22nd 1865 aged 44 years.

Lots #67 and #68. Both lots are the same size, and marked "Cameron" on the plan of the burial ground.

In Lot #67, measuring 13 x 14 feet, surrounded by a cast iron ornamental fence, are five graves of the Cameron family. There are three tombstones in this lot, but that to the memory of Thomas Rutter applies to his grave in the lot next adjoining, #68. Six footstones are inscribed "W.C.," "J.C.," "N.C.," "M.C.," "T.R.," and "J.N.C." The footstone marked "T.R." is also misplaced.

Nathaniel Cameron married Martha Agnew on 27 April 1828, at which time the bride’s father, William Agnew, and his family were living in St. Mary’s. Nathaniel Cameron and his three sons, John, William, and James N., were butchers and prosperous. They had a butcher shop in King Street on the corner of St. John Street, and another most successful business in York Street near Queen Street. McCarthy, another butcher, was a partner to this last establishment.

Lot #68 contains the graves of Thomas Rutter, cabinetmaker, and his wife, Martha, daughter of Nathaniel and Martha Cameron. Only the base for one post remains of a cast iron fence which surrounded this lot, similar to that around the Cameron graves. Thomas Rutter built and occupied the house on St. John Street that was later occupied by Mrs. A. E. Hanson.

Lot #68. Mr. John Cameron claims for Mrs. M. Rutter a lot in the Burial Ground. Size about 12 x 14 feet. Situate in the New part, Bounded on the North by Hon. Chas. McPhersons [sic] Lot, On the South by the Cameron Lot, On the East by S.L. Tilleys Lot, and on the West by Allen Street. Enclosed with an iron paling, and marked by a Monument to the late Thomas Rutter. This lot was purchased from the Sec. of the Citizens Comt by the late Thomas Rutter.

Julia Anna Hanford, first wife of Sir Samuel Leonard Tilley

Tilley

Sacred to the memory of Julia Anna wife of S. Tilley died 27th March 1868 aged 45 years. "Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord."

Julia Anna was the youngest daughter of James T. Hanford of Saint John, and the first wife of Sir Samuel Leonard Tilley, a father of Confederation. They were married in 1843 and had a large family. Later, when married to his second wife, Alice Chipman of St. Stephen, Tilley was known as Leonard rather than Samuel.