The family of George Harding, Maugerville Loyalist

Harding

John Harding, born March 1st, 1774, died January 9th, 1866

Sarah Harding, born April 29th, 1776, died August 5th, 1858

John Harding in 1851 was a farmer and his three-storey house was the largest in St. Mary’s. He was very well off and acquired a great deal of property. In 1851 he and his wife, Sarah Barker, were living alone.

John Harding was brought to New Brunswick by his father, George Harding (c.1744-1808), Loyalist. In 1783 George Harding purchased Lot 74 in Maugerville from Samuel and Sarah Bridges, and he was listed in the Sunbury County Poll Book, 1795, with home and freehold in Maugerville. Mrs. Harding, "consort of George Harding," died in 1795.

George Harding deeded his slave Sippeo to his son John, "to be his property and his heirs and successors during the life of the said negro…." The indenture was dated 1784 and signed in 1802 by the Justice of the Peace at Maugerville, Elijah Miles. This interesting document was given to the Legislative Library, Fredericton and is framed. John Harding willed his slaves to his sister, Elizabeth, the second wife of the Loyalist Captain Elijah Miles. Sippeo became the verger of Christ Church, Maugerville.

The names George, John, and William appear frequently in the various branches of the Harding family, who came from Derry, Ireland by way of Newburgh, New York,. Another George Harding, 1770-1843, settled near Saint John and married Jane Spragg (or Sprague) at Belleisle, NB. He was the son of Capt. William Harding (1745-1818), who is buried at the Loyalist Cemetery, Saint John, and his wife, Leah Sarah Gillies. William Harding seems to have been the brother of the George Harding who settled in Maugerville.

Jonathan George Harding in 1846 was a cabinetmaker. Payments for work done while renovating the Assembly Room (Journals of the House of Assembly, 1846) included: J.G. Harding, for making tables for the Assembly Room; Thomas Armstrong, for making carpet; Thomas Aiken, cutting and laying down carpet repairing desks; T.C. Everett, stove and pipe; Thomas Stewart, coal scuttles; Spafford Barker, firearms; William Morgan, grates for the Assembly Room; and Justin Spahnn, repairing clock and care thereof.

Dugald Stewart

Stewart

In Memoriam. Dugald Stewart of Dalhousie, born 23rd July, 1848, died 22nd March 1874.

Daily News, Saint John, NB, 24 March 1874:

We regret to learn of the death of Dugald STEWART which took place in Fredericton on Sunday morn. of heart disease. Deceased was for several years employed in the Crown Lands Dept., Fredericton, after which he bought out Barker House Livery Stable which business he conducted up to the time of his death. His family live in Restigouche County to which place his remains will be taken for interment.

Everett and Stewart, trustees of St. Paul’s Church

Stewart

STEWART "I am the resurrection and the life". Thomas Stewart, born at Newton Stewart, Scotland, 23rd Nov. 1791, died 8th April 1870.

Elizabeth, his wife, died 21st Sept. 1862, aged 65 years.

Their children, Margaret, died 27th January, 1849, aged 21 years — James died 23rd January, 1852, aged 18 years — Charles, died at Havana 21st Aug., 1859, aged 25 years

Their grandchild, Thomas Stewart, infant son of Z.R. Everett and Helen T. Everett, died 12th Aug., 1863.

John K. Stewart, died in Montana, Oct. 28th, 1885.

W.R. Stewart, died at Nceumea, South Pacific, 1873.

When St. Paul’s Church was incorporated, Thomas Stewart and Thomas Everett were two of the first trustees. Thomas Stewart had several sons and one surviving daughter, Helen. She married Zebedee Ring Everett, a nephew of Thomas Everett and a grandson of Thomas Everett, Loyalist, who died in 1814. Zebedee R. Everett, a merchant, was an alderman in 1871. He was the paternal grandfather of the Misses Everett, Isabel, Bessie, and Winnie, sisters of the infant Thomas Everett buried here.

Doak and Tufts

Doak

Mrs. Margaret Doak claims lot #10, 8 x 10 NEW PART bounded NORTH by Thomas Stewart’s lot, WEST by a wooden paling — This lot enclosed by a wooden fence and is marked by a monument to MRS. WILLIAM TUFTS. This lot purchased from Henry Chestnut in 1861, he then being secretary of the citizens committee.

In 1886 there were seven graves in this lot, marked "W. Tufts" on the plan. A high square stone marks the graves.

In memory of Andrew Doak, 1836-1871, also his wife Margaret, 1837-1906.

Joseph S. 1867-1873, Rebecca, 1861-1880, Margaret J., 1863-1882, children of A. and M. Doak.

In memory of Isabella, wife of William Tufts, died March 26, 1865 aged 26 years. Also their daughter Isabella J. died May 21, 1865.

Andrew Doak was a millman. He lived at the eastern end of Fredericton on the Doak Road. John Doak, his father, was a farmer. All members of John Doak’s family were born in Ireland, except his youngest son, John.

Two unmarried sisters of Andrew Doak, Sarah Jane, aged 32, milliner, and Mary Ann, 23, were living together in Fredericton in 1861. They are thought to be buried here, as well as Margaret Doak’s older sister, Ann Hood, who was one of Andrew’s household. In 1871, Margaret was widowed leaving her with a family of four daughters: Rebecca, 10; Margaret, 8; Isabella, 6; and Alice, one year.

Isabella, buried here with her child, was the first wife of William Tufts and sister to Andrew Doak. William Tufts was a shoemaker on Queen Street. He lived in Westmorland Street. In 1878 he is described as a Boot and Shoe Manufacturer. In 1867, William Tufts married, secondly, Mary, a daughter of Robert Wallace and his wife Mary Strachan. They lived in Marysville where he died and was buried. His widow is buried with her parents in an unmarked grave elsewhere in this burial ground.