Hon. Charles MacPherson and family

MacPherson

The Hon. Charles MacPherson died June 8, 1874, aged 72 years. Elizabeth, his wife died April [?] 10th, 1878, aged 55 years.

Henry Porter, drowned at sea Feb. 3, 1876, aged 28 years.

Chas. Simpson died Dec. 12, 1874, aged 20 years. Sons of Chas. and Eliza. MacPherson.

Fannie died Sept. 4, 1864, aged 24 years. Daughter of Charles MacPherson.

This lot measures 12 x 14 feet.

Charles MacPherson was a lumber merchant, his place of business in Regent Street near the wharf. He bought from the Robert Rankin Company, shipbuilders, a property along the river next above the court house and built a frame house at the lower end of Campbell Street on Market Square. This house was directly behind that of the Hon. John S. Saunders whose house faced Queen Street.

Fannie, buried here, was the only child of Charles MacPherson and his first wife, Fanny Belyea.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 27 January 1836:

m. Grace Church, Portland, St. John, Monday morn., 18th inst by Rev. G. L. Wiggins, Charles McPHERSON, Fredericton / Fanny Susannah BELYEA 2nd d/o William BELYEA of Indiantown.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 5 November 1842:

Died on the 23rd ult. after a long painful illness which she endured with meek and patient submission to the Divine Will, Fanny Susannah, wife of Mr. Charles MacPherson of this place, aged 27 years, leaving an only daughter

In 1846 Charles MacPherson was married, secondly, to Elizabeth ("Eliza"), eldest daughter of Henry Porter, Esq. of Saint John, an alderman and Justice of the Peace. They were married in Saint John. Henry Porter MacPherson, son of Charles and Eliza, was born on 15 February 1848 and baptised in the Old Kirk in Fredericton on 11 June 1848.

Charles MacPherson was a member of the Legislature for York County continuously from January 1851 until 1861, during which time he was elected five times and was sent to England as an emissary. Also, for the year 1857, he was a member of the Executive Council and Chief Commissioner of Public Works. Charles MacPherson was elected again in 1870 and was active until his death in 1874 just prior to the election in that year in which he was unable to offer as a candidate. Lemuel P. Wilmot was escorted by Charles MacPherson to the hustings where from a platform in front of the Old Market House he made his debut in a political speech, very powerful, and he was returned unopposed as the representative for the County of York.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 10 June 1874:

Death of Hon. Chas. MacPHERSON – at one time carried on an immence business in lumbering, shipping, ship-building, etc. and for many years represented this county in which he was born and resided for the past 70 years. He was first elected to the House of Assembly in 1851, and again at the general election in 1854. He was appointed to the office of Board of Works on Sept. 4th, 1856 which he held for upwards of a year. For two or three sessions he retired from public life, to be elected again in 1870.

Reverend William Smithson and family

Smithson

George C. Hunt and William Smithson claim as joint owners a lot, 18 1/2 x 20 1/3 feet. Situate between the lots of the late Asa Coy and Albert McCausland in the 3rd section north. Surrounded by an iron fence with two gates, one marked W.H. Smithson and the other George C. Hunt. This lot was purchased by the above gentlemen about 1860 from George Botsford, the then Secretary.

Lot #101. In 1886, this lot was claimed by Sophia A. Hunt, the second wife of George C. Hunt, a trader and sea captain.

In memory of Rev. William Smithson, b. 1796, d. May 15, 1860. Also his wife, Elizabeth, b. 1801, d. Jan. 28, 1887. "The memory of the just is blessed."

In memory of Georgianna A.H. Gill, b. Dec. 18, 1842, d. Jan. 25, 1913. "She hath done what she could." Also Julia E. Smithson, b. April 12, 1830, d. Mar. 19, 1908. "At rest." Daughters of Rev. William Smithson.

A footstone inscribed "A.M.S." could be misplaced and may properly belong in the Saunders plot.

The Reverend William Smithson was born in Yorkshire, England, and was for over forty years a Wesleyan Methodist minister. He was resident Methodist minister in Fredericton in 1829, and a Wesleyan minister in Sheffield, 1836-37, subsequently living in St. Stephen and Sackville. His wife was Elizabeth, youngest daughter of Lieut. James Harrison of the New Jersey Volunteers who had settled in Sheffield where Elizabeth was born.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 27 March 1833:

d. 11th inst. Sackville, N.B., Sarah Jane Smithson 2nd d/o Rev. W. Smithson, Wesleyan Missionary, age 3 weeks, 4 days.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 3 February 1841:

Died on the 18th inst. of croup at Milltown, St. Stephen, aged 3 years and 6 month, Thomas Harrison, second son of Rev. Smithson, Wesleyan Missionary.

New Brunswick Reporter, Fredericton, NB, 4 June 1858:

At Woodstock, on Tuesday 1st of June, by the Rev. S.D. Lee Street, rector, Mr. W.H. Smithson, Druggist of Fredericton, to Miss Louise J. youngest daughter of Charles Perley, Esq. M.P.A.

Daily Telegraph, Saint John, NB, 1 February 1887:

The death is announced at Fredericton, of Mrs. Smithson, relict of the late Rev. William Smithson, and mother of Mr. W.H. Smithson, of the General Post Office, Ottawa, Jan. 31, 1887.

The oldest of the three stones marking the Smithson lot is now illegible. When Elizabeth Smithson died in 1887, the inscription read "Husband and Wife." A stone in memory of the son, William H. Smithson (died 1850) has disappeared. The third and tallest stone commemorates the death of two Smithson daughters, Julia and Georgianna.

The census of 1881 suggests that the husband of Georgianna Smithson was most likely Joseph Gaynor Gill, born 1834. According to Wesleyan Methodist Church christening records, Joseph was the son of Thomas and Catherine Gill. He is not buried here. The stone house of Ensign Thomas Gill, Maryland Loyalist, still stands in Lower St. Mary’s.

Charles Mills and Maria Saunders

Mills

In Memory of Charles Mills, died April 2nd, 1875 aged 74 years. Also his wife Maria died July 4th 1876 aged 72 years.

Maria Saunders and her second husband are buried in a lot adjoining that of her first husband, Alexander Anderson, and four of their children. Lieutenant Charles Mills was the Adjutant of the 33rd Regiment, stationed in Fredericton between 1845 and 1848.

The Fredericton census, 1871, shows Charles Mills, gardener, aged 65, living with his wife, Marie, 65, and Alexander Anderson, stepson, 24, carpenter.

Alexander Anderson and children

Anderson

In Memory of Alexander Anderson, died March 8, 1848, aged 47 years

Also Elizabeth Anderson, died November 10th, 1846, aged 4 years

Also Isabella Anderson, died March 8th, 1848, aged 9 months

Also William Anderson, died November 12th, 1850, aged 10 years.

Alexander Anderson of Fredericton, labourer, bought land in 1845 on the new Needham Street “as laid out by Mark Needham,” and evidently was strong and prosperous until residing in his new abode, where he and three of his children died within a few years.

His wife was Maria Saunders, and the family attended the Kirk. She and her only surviving child, Alexander, remained at their new address adjacent to the famous garden of William Watts. Charles Mills, her second husband, was a gardener.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 19 April 1852:

Married on the 13th inst. by the Rev. J. M. Brooke, Mr. Charles Mills to Maria, widow of the late Alexander Anderson, all of Fredericton.