Partelow and Tabor

Tabor

Memorial to the Honourable John R. Partelow who died on the 13th Jan. 1865, aged 69 years.

Also his wife, Jane Hamlin, who departed this life 20th Feb. 1866, aged 69 years. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord."

In Memory of Charles Clifton Tabor, late Lieut. 15th Regt., died March 21st, 1888 aged 47 years. "Simply to Thy cross I cling"

In memory of Ada, wife of Charles Clifton Tabor, died March 23rd 1919, aged 80 years. "At rest in the Lord".

Percy Clifton, died Nov. 8th, 1886 aged 2 years, son of Charles and Ada Tabor.

John Clifton Tabor

Lot #156. There are six graves in this enclosed lot: Hon. John R. Partelow, his wife, and his daughter Ada, Mrs. Tabor, with her husband and two of their children.

Chas. C. Tabor claims a lot in the Burial ground. Size about 16 feet square. Situate towards the North West corner of Ground. Enclosed by heavy granite coping. Marked by marble [illegible]. Engraved "Partelow" Claimer purchased this lot from Henry Chestnut Feb 21st 1866

John R. Partelow was the son of a shoemaker, Jehiel Partelow of Saint John. He married Jane Hamlin Matthews in 1819.

From 1828 until 1856, except for an interlude of three years, John R. Partelow was a member of the Legislature for the County of St. John. He was Chamberlain of Saint John from 1827 until 1865, and was also Mayor of that city, appointed 10 April 1846 and holding office until 5 July 1848 when he was appointed Provincial Secretary. Mr. Partelow was appointed Auditor General of New Brunswick on 7 May 1855, which office he held until his death in January 1865.

When Mr. Partelow was appointed Provincial Secretary, he brought his wife and family to Fredericton. His eldest daughter, Mary, married James R. Crane. Jane, the second daughter, married John MacKay. Elizabeth married Thomas Otty Crookshank. Agnes married Henry Jeffrey Robinson, Captain, 76th Regiment, in 1857 and is buried nearby in the H.J. Robinson plot. Emma, the fourth daughter of Mr. Partelow, was the third wife of James Scott Beek, who succeeded Mr. Partelow as Auditor General and, like his father-in-law, was one of New Brunswick’s most distinguished civil servants. The Canadian Parliamentary Guide, 1908, lists Mr. James S. Beek, Auditor General of New Brunswick as a Companion of the Imperial Service Order. The order was instituted by King Edward, 8 August 1902, for faithful and meritorious service in the Civil Service.

Ada, the youngest daughter, in 1862 married Charles Clifton Tabor of the 15th Regiment of Foot stationed in Fredericton from 1862 to 1868. Captain Tabor and his wife were well known in Fredericton. When Captain Clifton Tabor retired from the army, they resided at "Woodlands," the former home of Major Hansard of the 69th Regiment (Ret’d) who died in 1853. Mrs. Hansard sold the house in 1866.

The Tabors had a large family: besides the two young sons buried here, they had seven sons and three daughters. Their daughter Agnes, when young, wrote a prize essay on the 104th Regiment. She married, as his first wife, J.H.A.L. Fairweather, Judge of the Supreme Court of New Brunswick. Lilla married the Rev. G. Edward R. MacDonald, a nephew and foster son of Rev. Canon George Goodridge Roberts. The MacDonalds lived in California. After the death of Mrs. Clifton Tabor in 1919, her eldest daughter, Ada, married Dr. William Tyng Raymond, Professor of Classics at the University of New Brunswick. Some years after he retired (1929), they moved from their home at 770 George Street in Fredericton to Saint John where they died.

Sarah Jane Smyth, wife of Andrew Sinclair

Sinclair

In memory of Sarah J. Sinclair, died September 20, 1886 aged 66 years.

R. Allen Sinclair died Aug. 12, 1862 aged 6 years and 9 months.

Jane Smythe died Aug. 15, 1876 aged 78 years.

Another large stone marker, "MOTHER," stands at some distance from the tall monument, indicating that the lot is large. It may be that there are more than three or four graves belonging to this family.

There is no tombstone for Andrew Sinclair, who came from Scotland in 1835 at the age of nineteen. Sarah Jane Smyth, his wife, came from Ireland with her mother in the same year.

One Andrew Sinclair was a shoemaker, in King Street near Regent in 1865 and in George Street in 1871, according to directories. He may have been a brother of Robert Sinclair, who married Matilda Smyth.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 28 August 1843:

Married on Friday evening last by the Rev. Samuel Robinson, Mr. Robert Sinclair, to Miss Matilda Smyth, all of this city.

In 1871, Jane Smyth, age 72, widow, was living with her daughter, Sarah Jane Sinclair, who had parted from her husband. Her six children resided with her.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 15 August 1876:

d. St. John, 15th inst., at residence of Mrs. Sarah J. SINCLAIR, Mrs. Jane SMYTH, 78th year. Funeral will take place in Fredericton city from steamer on arrival from St. John Thursday.

This burial lot was claimed in 1886 by S. J. Sinclair, who died that September.

Agnes Strachan Partelow, wife of Henry J. Robinson

Robinson

Agnes Strachan, beloved wife of Henry J. Robinson, Esq. late of H.M. 76th Regiment. Died at Saint John Sept. 12th, 1868, in the 34th year of her age.

Henry Jeffrey Robinson of H.M. 76th Regiment of Foot was an Irishman who remained in Fredericton when his regiment departed, and married Agnes Strachan Partelow, daughter of the Honourable John R. Partelow, Provincial Secretary of New Brunswick from 1848 to 1854. He and his wife lived in the house which is now numbered 868 George Street. In 1865, they bought another house, 725 George Street, then newly improved. It was said that the ill health of his wife marred the first few years in that house.

In 1869, Henry Robinson took for his second wife Sarah Black, a sister of the late John Black, Barrister, and a daughter of Rev. John Black of Springhill. Her unmarried sister Eleanor lived with them. Some years later Henry J. Robinson took his wife to Ireland to live and her niece, Ethel Rainsford, visited them there. Henry Robinson was well-connected. He had no children.

Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 4 April 1896:

A cable from Port Rush, Ireland announces the death at that place today of Col. H.J. ROBINSON, brother-in-law of John BLACK, M.P.P. of this city. Col. Robinson, who resided in this city about 14 years ago, was stricken with paralysis some months since and latterly no hope of recovery was held out. Mrs. Robinson will have the sympathy of friends in her affliction.

John Williams and John C. Williams, carpenters

Williams

In memory of Eliza, wife of the late John Williams, who died Feb. 17th 1889, aged 84 [?] years.

John C. Williams, born Oct. 27th 1837, died Nov. 18th, 1873. Erected by his wife. "Boast not thyself of to-morrow for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth."

The Williams lot was purchased from Henry Chestnut in 1864.

John Williams, husband of Eliza, was a carpenter and a builder. He built and lived in the first house below the gaol on George Street.

John C. Williams, also a carpenter, was his son.

The eldest daughter of John and Eliza Williams, Elizabeth H., married John Robinson in 1857. The widow Eliza Williams and her children, John, Henry, Emma, and Fanny, shared a house with the John Robinson family in 1871.

Colonial Farmer, Fredericton, NB, 30 October 1871:

m. Christ Church, 18th inst., by Rev. J.C. Pearson, Charles C. VAIL, Carleton (St. John) / Frances M. WILLIAMS d/o late John WILLIAMS, Fredericton City.