Partelow and Tabor

Tabor

Memorial to the Honourable John R. Partelow who died on the 13th Jan. 1865, aged 69 years.

Also his wife, Jane Hamlin, who departed this life 20th Feb. 1866, aged 69 years. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord."

In Memory of Charles Clifton Tabor, late Lieut. 15th Regt., died March 21st, 1888 aged 47 years. "Simply to Thy cross I cling"

In memory of Ada, wife of Charles Clifton Tabor, died March 23rd 1919, aged 80 years. "At rest in the Lord".

Percy Clifton, died Nov. 8th, 1886 aged 2 years, son of Charles and Ada Tabor.

John Clifton Tabor

Lot #156. There are six graves in this enclosed lot: Hon. John R. Partelow, his wife, and his daughter Ada, Mrs. Tabor, with her husband and two of their children.

Chas. C. Tabor claims a lot in the Burial ground. Size about 16 feet square. Situate towards the North West corner of Ground. Enclosed by heavy granite coping. Marked by marble [illegible]. Engraved "Partelow" Claimer purchased this lot from Henry Chestnut Feb 21st 1866

John R. Partelow was the son of a shoemaker, Jehiel Partelow of Saint John. He married Jane Hamlin Matthews in 1819.

From 1828 until 1856, except for an interlude of three years, John R. Partelow was a member of the Legislature for the County of St. John. He was Chamberlain of Saint John from 1827 until 1865, and was also Mayor of that city, appointed 10 April 1846 and holding office until 5 July 1848 when he was appointed Provincial Secretary. Mr. Partelow was appointed Auditor General of New Brunswick on 7 May 1855, which office he held until his death in January 1865.

When Mr. Partelow was appointed Provincial Secretary, he brought his wife and family to Fredericton. His eldest daughter, Mary, married James R. Crane. Jane, the second daughter, married John MacKay. Elizabeth married Thomas Otty Crookshank. Agnes married Henry Jeffrey Robinson, Captain, 76th Regiment, in 1857 and is buried nearby in the H.J. Robinson plot. Emma, the fourth daughter of Mr. Partelow, was the third wife of James Scott Beek, who succeeded Mr. Partelow as Auditor General and, like his father-in-law, was one of New Brunswick’s most distinguished civil servants. The Canadian Parliamentary Guide, 1908, lists Mr. James S. Beek, Auditor General of New Brunswick as a Companion of the Imperial Service Order. The order was instituted by King Edward, 8 August 1902, for faithful and meritorious service in the Civil Service.

Ada, the youngest daughter, in 1862 married Charles Clifton Tabor of the 15th Regiment of Foot stationed in Fredericton from 1862 to 1868. Captain Tabor and his wife were well known in Fredericton. When Captain Clifton Tabor retired from the army, they resided at "Woodlands," the former home of Major Hansard of the 69th Regiment (Ret’d) who died in 1853. Mrs. Hansard sold the house in 1866.

The Tabors had a large family: besides the two young sons buried here, they had seven sons and three daughters. Their daughter Agnes, when young, wrote a prize essay on the 104th Regiment. She married, as his first wife, J.H.A.L. Fairweather, Judge of the Supreme Court of New Brunswick. Lilla married the Rev. G. Edward R. MacDonald, a nephew and foster son of Rev. Canon George Goodridge Roberts. The MacDonalds lived in California. After the death of Mrs. Clifton Tabor in 1919, her eldest daughter, Ada, married Dr. William Tyng Raymond, Professor of Classics at the University of New Brunswick. Some years after he retired (1929), they moved from their home at 770 George Street in Fredericton to Saint John where they died.

George Edward Fenety, Queen’s Printer and Mayor of Fredericton

Fenety

Lot #171.

Sacred to the memory of E.M. Sutton Fenety, son of G.E. and Eliza Fenety who died January 26th 1886, aged 31 years. "Thy will be done."

Dear Kate, daughter of G.E. Fenety and Eliza Fenety, died 17th March 1867, aged sixteen years and six months.

Dear Arthur, son of G.E. Fenety and Eliza Fenety, died 28th May 1866, aged seventeen years and eight months.

Albert G. son of G.E. and Eliza Fenety, died Feb. 11th 1864, aged one year and ten months.

Footstones: “E.M.S.F.,” “A.G.F.,” and “A.F.”

New Brunswick Courier, Saint John, NB, 4 June 1842:

m. Saturday eve., by Rev. I.W.D. Gray, George E. Fenety, Editor & Prop. of ‘Morning News’ / Elizabeth Wallace youngest d/o late Capt. Jonathan Wallace of St. George (Charlotte Co.)

George Edward Fenety (born 1812) was a son of William Fenety and Mary Hall. His first wife, Elizabeth, died in 1845. Eliza Ann, youngest daughter of Robert Arthur, was his second wife. They were married in New York in 1847 and had nine children. One daughter, Mary (“May”) Isabel, married Charles G.D. Roberts.

G.E. Fenety was Queen’s Printer 1862-1896, author of Political Notes and Observations (1867), and elected Mayor of Fredericton in 1877. While mayor, he presented the city with the present town clock. He also caused to be set out the row of maple trees along the river’s embankment in front of the town. The gardens of his home "Linden Hall" were a show place. His home was on Brunswick Street opposite the Cathedral and the gardens covering four lots stretched from Brunswick Street through the block to George Street.

Descendants of the Honourable and Reverend Jonathan Odell

Odell

Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth Ludlow, wife of George M. Odell, M.D., of Fredericton who died April 19, 1861 in the 35th year of her age. "Them that sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."

George Mountain Odell, M.D., died at Newport, Rhode Island, April 21, 1892 in the 75th year of his age. "I believe in the life everlasting."

Charles Odell, C.E., May 27, 1898. Sadie Odell, Dec. 3, 1910. Erected in loving memory of our dear father and mother.

These three tombstones are surrounded by a stone fence.

G.M. Odell at present at Newport State of Rhode Island claims a lot in the burying lot 18 x 24, situate in the north corner enclosed by a wooden fence set on stones. Purchased from Robert Wood about 1861.

The Honourable and Reverend Jonathan Odell came to New Brunswick in 1783 with the New England Loyalists. A clergyman of the Church of England, he was for many years the government Secretary of the Province. His only son, Hon. William Franklin Odell (1774-1844), also a Loyalist, had four sons: William Hunter, George Mountain, James, and Charles. The house in which they were born and brought up had been built by their grandfather, Rev. Jonathan Odell. Their father, William F. Odell, later built "Rookwood", and the original family home ultimately became a residence for the youngest son, Charles.

George Mountain Odell lived for some time in St. Mary’s on the Caleb Fowler farm, which his father subsequently bequeathed to him in 1844. In 1846 he bought a town house in Brunswick Street from Horatio Nelson Drake and married not long after.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 3 November 1847:

Married on Tuesday, the 26th ult. at St. Paul’s Church, Halifax, by the Rev. Dr. Twining, Chaplain of the Garrison, George Mountain Odell M.D., son of the late Hon. W.F. Odell of Fredericton, N.B., to Elizabeth Ludlow, daughter of D.L. Robinson, an uncle of Deputy Commissary General Robinson.

Dr. G.M. Odell married, secondly, Susan Philipse, daughter of Morris Robinson. She was a cousin of the Honourable F.P. Robinson. In 1865, Mrs. George Lee bequeathed to Susan P. Odell, her niece, wife of Dr. George M. Odell, £100, “also her work table and sofa table,” and a portrait of her father Morris Robinson. There is no inscription here in memory of Dr. Odell’s second wife.

New Brunswick Reporter, Fredericton, NB, 27 April 1892:

Intelligence of the death of Dr. Geo. M. Odell at Newport, R.I. last week was heard with sorrow by many of the old families in Fredericton whose physician and friend the deceased had been. Dr. Odell was for many years a leading physician here. His remains were brought to this city Monday and interred in the family enclosure in the old cemetery. The chief mourners were Capt. Odell, nephew of the deceased; Delancy Robinson, F.A.H. Straton and Geo. C. Hunt. Closely following these were all of the city physicians. The pall bearers were Sir John Allen, Judge Fraser, Lt. Col. Maunsell, Andrew Inches, E.H. Wilmot and J. Henry Phair. Capt. Odell was at the bedside for a couple of days before he died and accompanied the remains to the city. Rev. G.G. Roberts performed the last rites at the grave.

Charles Odell, born 16 August 1826, was twice married, first to Maynard Eliza Grange (born 1835) by whom he had two children, Florence Mary and George Grange. In 1867, Charles married, secondly, Sarah, daughter of John D. Kinnear, Judge of Probate for Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. They had five children. His eldest son, George Grange Odell, often visited his father from South America where he worked as an engineer. It is remembered that one of his parrots hid in the Cathedral and disrupted a Sunday service.

Their house, occupied for a hundred years or more by the Odell family, is now the Deanery. It is shown in the first town plat, the plan of which was made by Lieut. Dugald Campbell. Above each of the two upper rooms was a loft or sleeping quarter, entirely separate. The large iron rings bolted into the woodwork were probably placed there to chain deserters during one of the early periods of the movement of troops through Fredericton. Until 1844, this house with gardens, yards, stables, outhouses, together with land in rear, extended to Charlotte Street.

Francis Straton and family

Straton

The Straton family lot contained eight stones, a broken base, and a footstone. The eight stones have been replaced by a large new stone. A marker in the shape of a cross, inscribed “Minnie” and “Frank,” also stands in this lot.

In memory of Sarah Jane Straton, born 1817 died 1864, aged 47 years.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 12 November 1842:

Married on Monday the 31st ultimo, in Christ Church, Fredericton, by the Venerable Archdeacon, Francis A.H. Straton, Barrister-at-Law, to Sarah Jane, eldest daughter of the late George P. Bliss.

Francis A.H. Straton was a grandson of Lieut. James Straton. He was appointed Clerk of the Executive Council on 30 May 1856 and remained in office until his death. He was also a senior partner, with J. Henry Phair, of the law firm of Straton and Phair. The Phair and Straton families were connected by marriage.

Francis Straton married Sarah Jane Bliss in 1842. They lived with her widowed mother and numerous family members in Brunswick Street for many years. He moved his family to another house, 736 Brunswick Street, a few months before Sarah’s death. There were ten children by this marriage.

In memory of “Minnie” who died at the age of nine years, and “Frank” who died aged two years. ‘Not dead but sleeping.’

According to the Cathedral records of 1860, “Minnie” was Mary Harriet Rebecca Straton. “IHS,” a stone in memory of Andrew William “Andy” Straton, was erected by his cousin and friend Bliss Carman. Andrew Straton died a young man. There is also a footstone inscribed “A.W.S.”

In memory of Barry Straton, died October 10, 1901, aged 47 years.

Barry Straton was a lawyer but did not practice. Not as well known as his cousins, Bliss Carman and Charles G.D. Roberts, he wrote poetry of exceptional merit. He lived all his life with his grandmama in the oldest and original part of the large house in Brunswick Street upon what was once the John Murray Bliss grant. He never spoke to his stepmother, Augusta, who lived in an addition to the home. He died in Maugerville. For over sixty years this house at 736 Brunswick Street was known as Straton Manor and remains so today.

Sacred to the memory of John M. Straton, first mate of the Barque GENII.

Morning Telegraph, Saint John, NB, 7 October 1869:

Perhaps one of the most appalling disasters which the storm of Monday night brought about is the loss of the new barque “Genii”, 500 ton Register at New River… She sailed in ballast from St. Andrews on Friday last and arrived at New River on Saturday morn. to load deals for Liverpool under charter of J.E. Knight, Esq., lessee of the mills of Messrs. Prescott & Lawrence at that place. There were some 60,000 feet of deals rafted and ready to be put on board on Monday. The raft being completed, it was placed under the lee of the breakwater which, it was thought, would offer it ample security from the effects of the coming storm. The pilot of the ship, Capt. James Clarke of St. Andrews, had been put ashore and it was intended that he should be taken on board ship again toward night. The Stevedores, George and Peter McVicker had come from Mascarene bringing their crew, six in number, with them, and thus all, except the Pilot were on board when night came on. The following are the names of the men who were lost: Charles Bayley of Westport, Brier Island, Capt.; John M. Straton of Fredericton, Mate…

The eldest son of Francis A.H. Straton, was a victim of the disastrous Saxby Gale that occurred in the 26th year of his age. Jack Straton perished on 4 October 1869 and his remains were returned to Fredericton. He was buried with “Masonic and military honours” from his father’s Brunswick Street home. Old schoolmates and friends erected a stone in token of their respect and esteem. A small base is all that remains, and a footstone inscribed “JMS.”

In memory of James Murray Straton.

James Murray Straton was gazetted Second Lieutenant, New Brunswick Artillery, 14 April 1863, according to the New Brunswick Journals militia list of 1867. He was buried from the Cathedral on 9 October 1869, at the age of 25.

In memory of Francis A.H. Straton, died June 16, 1900, aged 88 years and his second wife Augusta, died February 23, 1906, aged 76. Their daughter Mary Isabella Straton died Dec. 28, 1956 aged 86 years.

In July 1866, Francis A.H. Straton married, secondly, Augusta, daughter of Benjamin L. Peters. For his second marriage, F.A.H. Straton had a house built adjoining the family homestead. They had two children. Their son, Brooke, is buried at Rumford, Maine. Their daughter, Mary I. (“May”), was blind. She died at the home of Walter P. Fenety, where she had resided for more than fifty years, and is buried in the family plot.