John Richards claims a lot 10 x 20 NEW PART adjoining the Odell lot. Enclosed by granite posts with iron rods and chains. Mr. Richards purchases this lot from George Botsford.
Only the markers are left: “H.A.R.,” “J.R.,” “E.R.,” “T.R.,” “G.L.R.,” “J.O.W.R.,” and “J.T.R.”
John Richards was born in 1823 and married Helen Ann Long, born 1826. Their children were Helen M., James F., Charles L., Fanny F., Minnie B., and Annie. In the 1851 census, John Richards, 28, is listed with his wife, Helen A., 25, and an infant daughter, Sarah. In 1862 he was a commission merchant, furniture dealer, insurance agent, city auditor, ticket agent, and a prominent Mason. He was a sitting magistrate of York County in the 1870s. He also was secretary-treasurer of the Fredericton Railway Company of which Thomas Temple was President, 1876. When he died in 1897, John Richards was assistant Clerk of the Legislative Assembly.
The marker "E.R." probably refers to John Richards’s Welsh mother, Eleanor, who lived in Fredericton with A.P. Miller and family in 1871.