Mary Hamilton and the Reid family

Reid

Mary Hamilton, born April 23, 1774, died April 23, 1868, ae 94.

Jane H. Reid, born May 1, 1802, died June 24, 1889.

James D. Reid, born Oct. 24, 1824, died Nov. 4, 1907.

John Hamilton Reid, born June 27, 1822, died Jan. 4, 1911.

Robert A. Reid, born May 24, 1827, died June 8th, 1910.

John Mitchell Reid, 1854-1928. His wife, Louise Frances, 1855-1935.

James Reid, Jr. born 1854, died 1863, ae. 9 years.

A black imitation marble stone has replaced the early ones. Robert A. Reid, father of John Mitchell and James Reid, Jr., is not buried here but in Carleton County although his name is on the stone. In this plot is a second small monument for James Reid, Jr., twin brother of John Mitchell Reid. This small stone was carried away several times but it was later found and returned.

Mary Hamilton’s husband, Robert Hamilton, died at a young age of fever while travelling from Ireland to visit one of the early American colonies. Her daughter, Jane Hamilton, married James Reid from Scotland. Mary Hamilton, Jane Reid, and Jane’s three sons, John Hamilton Reid, James D. Reid and Robert A. Reid, came to New Brunswick from Ireland by way of Scotland in 1826. Mary died in 1868 at the Reid homestead in Fredericton.

The old Reid home, where they kept a general store, stood just above the Ryan block on Queen Street, and was the only building left standing in the centre of Fredericton after the fire of 1850. The Reids owned a farm, “Camp Fordham,” four miles below Fredericton, on which was a mile-long shooting range, where in 1870 an All Canada Meet was held. It was part of the Simonds grant purchased by John Reid in 1854.

The 1851 census records that J. H. Reed [Reid], 26, English, merchant, was living with his mother, Jane Reid, 42, Irish; his brother, Robert A., 22; and his grandmother, Mrs. Hamilton, 68, Irish. The household in 1871 consisted of John H. Reid, his mother Jane, and John M., aged 16.

John Hamilton Reid was the President of the York County Agricultural Society for many years and the superintendent of the Exhibition Grounds. It was mainly through his efforts that the magnificent Exhibition Palace was built in 1863-1864. When the building went up in flames in 1877, fire flakes fell on houses below the Cathedral. All parts of the city were in danger. The second Exhibition building, built the next year, burned in 1882. A great horseman, J.H. Reid brought into the Province some excellent sires and, with one importation from Kentucky, he travelled in the same car.

John H. Reid claims lot 12 x 14 in the new part, bounded on the east by A.W. Richey’s lot on the northwest by the first walk running parallel with Barrack Lane at lower end. This lot was divided into two parts. One part which is enclosed by stone posts and rods under the control of Mr. George Woods and the other belonging to me. I claim for Mrs. Woods and heirs the right of interment in her lot. This lot was purchased from Henry Chestnut in 1859 by Mrs. Woods and Mr. Reid.

The family of John Lawrence

Lawrence

In Memory of Elizabeth, fourth daughter of John T. and Esther Lawrence, who departed this life August 20th 1845, aged 3 months

This is the only tombstone today in memory of the family of John Lawrence. Another daughter, Victoria Augusta, was born 22 May 1850 and died in December of that same year. She is buried here but her stone is now missing. A sister of these children, Esther Reid, was born 20 August 1843 and baptised in the old Kirk on 17 December 1843.

They were the grandchildren of James Reid of Tay Creek, a well-to-do settler who died in 1858. His children were John, Elizabeth, Esther, Mary Catherine, and Jene. James Reid was his grandson, and his daughter Elizabeth married James Blair. The second daughter, Esther, married John T. Lawrence.

John Lawrence lived on Needham Street. He apparently departed from Fredericton before May 1853, as a notice in the Royal Gazette of 3 May 1853 stated that Angus Cameron, carpenter of Fredericton, wanted payment from John Lawrence, late of Fredericton.

Isaac Lawrence of the New York Volunteers who settled above the Keswick Stream had a son named John.