Three men named John Lothrop Marsh

Marsh

Lot #182. This double lot was purchased by John Lothrop Marsh III, Police Magistrate, in 1859. He and his wife, Hester, are buried here with his parents, John Lothrop Marsh, Jr. and Sophia Miriam Beckwith, and his sisters, Julia and Sophia. Also here are the two children of Sophia and her husband Laughlan McLean. The grandparents of the police magistrate, John Lothrop Marsh and his wife Sarah Estabrooks, are buried in this graveyard and may be buried in this lot.

John L. Marsh, born 12 July 1758, died 3 May 1859. His wife, Sarah Estabrooks, born 10 October 1764, died 2 January 1844 aged 80.

John Lothrop Marsh, born 12 July 1796, died 1853. His wife, Sophie Miriam Beckwith, born [?], died 1851.

John Lothrop Marsh, born 22 January 1830, died 1914. His wife, Hester Frink, born 1839, died 1917 aged 78.

Only the small stone to the two children marks the Marsh lot today:

In memory of John L. Marsh, d. Dec. 13, 1856, ae 11 months, 21 days. Sophia Marion Beckwith, d. May 25, 1862, ae 2 years and 4 months.

Johnnie and Minnie, children of Lauchlan and Sophia L. McLean.

There is another little hand /To Heaven’s sweet harp and strings given /Another gentle seraph’s voice /Another star in heaven.

The first John Lothrop Marsh here was a Loyalist, born in Fairfield, Connecticut, the son of Simeon Marsh and Eunice Lothrop. His sisters were Elizabeth, who married Lt. Leonard Reed in 1793, and Sarah, who married Valentine Harding in 1795. His brothers were Solomon and Ebenezer, who went to Upper Canada in 1782 to live, and the Reverend Thomas Marsh, a missionary to Tennessee.

John Lothrop Marsh, the Loyalist, came to New Brunswick in 1783. In 1790 he married, in Canning, Sarah, daughter of Elijah Estabrooks of Cornwallis, Nova Scotia. Their children were Thomas Lothrop (born 1791), Elizabeth (born 1793), Charles William (born 1794), John Lothrop (born 1796), Elijah (born 1799), and George (born 1802).

John Lothrop Marsh, the son, in 1824 married Sophia Miriam Beckwith, a daughter of Nehemiah Beckwith and Julie-Louise Le Brun de Duplessis. Sophia was a sister of the Honourable John A. Beckwith and of the author Julia Beckwith Hart who is buried elsewhere in this burial ground. She was living in Kingston with her widowed mother, who, upon the death of Nehemiah, had taken her family there, probably to join her widowed sister, Elizabeth, Madame Antoine Ferland.

New Brunswick Royal Gazette, 23 November 1824:

Married at Quebec, on Sunday the 10th ult. by the Rev. Doctor Mountain, Mr. John Lothrop Marsh, of Wakefield, N.B. to Miss Sophia Beckwith, of Kingston, Upper Canada.

The census for 1851 lists John L. Marsh, merchant, 50, living with his children: Amelia, 23; John L., 21; Sophia, 18; Julia, 16; Arthur, 13; and Sarah, 10. His wife’s residence at the time of the census is not known.

John Lothrop Marsh [III] was admitted to the Bar of New Brunswick in 1854 and was a partner of the firm Marsh and Beckwith. He married Hester C. Frink, eldest daughter of S.P. Frink, in 1859. He and his sister Julia were the executors of their father’s will in 1871.

Julia Louise Le Brun Marsh married Edward John Russell, artist and illustrator, who was employed before his marriage as a bookkeeper at the Beckwith & Marsh lumber mill. She died in 1880, survived by her husband, five sons, and a daughter.

Sophia Le Brun Marsh, the second sister of John Lothrop Marsh, married Lauchlan McLean, a merchant, the son of a Scottish settler at Grand Lake. A few years after their marriage, the couple moved to Saint John. Besides the two buried here, their children were Hugh Havelock (born 22 March 1854), Arthur B. (born 1857), Charles Herbert, and Maud. Their eldest son, Major General Hugh Havelock McLean, was Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick 1928-1935.

Census, Fredericton, NB, 1871:

John L. MARSH, 42, b. NB, Lawyer, Wesleyan Methodist

Hester, 32, b. NB, Wesleyan Methodist

Hugh McLEAN, 17, b. NB, Student, Wesleyan Methodist

Eliza PETERS, 23, b. NB, Servant, Maid, African.

On 1 May 1871, an Act was passed "Relating to the Police Establishment in the City of Fredericton," regulating the office of the Police Magistrate. John Marsh was appointed to that position, to receive an annual salary not exceeding $400. He was empowered to appoint a police force, a staff of able men, not exceeding three. Included was a caution about the taverns of the town: a section of the Act stated that if a tavern keeper harboured or entertained any policeman on duty, he could be fined or have his license cancelled by the magistrate. Forty-two years later, on his 84th birthday, John Lothrop Marsh was still holding that office.

In 1871, John Marsh was appointed Lieutenant Colonel of the 71st York Battalion of Infantry, and was still in command in 1885. He lived at 690 George Street. He is described as very dapper, immaculately turned out. He always wore a frock coat to the Sunday services at the Cathedral. In 1881 census shows John Marsh, Police Magistrate, living with his wife, Hester, and two daughters: Florence L., 9, and Mary Sophie (born 1874), aged 6.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 2 August 1882:

PROCLAMATION

Whereas some person or persons did on the night of the thirty-first of July last make a felonious assault with firearms upon John L. Marsh, Esquire, Police Magistrate, at his residence in Fredericton: I do therefore publish this Proclamation and do hereby offer a Reward of Two Hundred Dollars for such information as will secure the conviction of the person or persons guilty of said offence.

Given under my Hand and Seal at Fredericton, the second day of August, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty-two, and in the forty-sixth year of Her Majesty’s Reign. — By Command of the Lieutenant Governor P.A. Landry

Mary Hamilton and the Reid family

Reid

Mary Hamilton, born April 23, 1774, died April 23, 1868, ae 94.

Jane H. Reid, born May 1, 1802, died June 24, 1889.

James D. Reid, born Oct. 24, 1824, died Nov. 4, 1907.

John Hamilton Reid, born June 27, 1822, died Jan. 4, 1911.

Robert A. Reid, born May 24, 1827, died June 8th, 1910.

John Mitchell Reid, 1854-1928. His wife, Louise Frances, 1855-1935.

James Reid, Jr. born 1854, died 1863, ae. 9 years.

A black imitation marble stone has replaced the early ones. Robert A. Reid, father of John Mitchell and James Reid, Jr., is not buried here but in Carleton County although his name is on the stone. In this plot is a second small monument for James Reid, Jr., twin brother of John Mitchell Reid. This small stone was carried away several times but it was later found and returned.

Mary Hamilton’s husband, Robert Hamilton, died at a young age of fever while travelling from Ireland to visit one of the early American colonies. Her daughter, Jane Hamilton, married James Reid from Scotland. Mary Hamilton, Jane Reid, and Jane’s three sons, John Hamilton Reid, James D. Reid and Robert A. Reid, came to New Brunswick from Ireland by way of Scotland in 1826. Mary died in 1868 at the Reid homestead in Fredericton.

The old Reid home, where they kept a general store, stood just above the Ryan block on Queen Street, and was the only building left standing in the centre of Fredericton after the fire of 1850. The Reids owned a farm, “Camp Fordham,” four miles below Fredericton, on which was a mile-long shooting range, where in 1870 an All Canada Meet was held. It was part of the Simonds grant purchased by John Reid in 1854.

The 1851 census records that J. H. Reed [Reid], 26, English, merchant, was living with his mother, Jane Reid, 42, Irish; his brother, Robert A., 22; and his grandmother, Mrs. Hamilton, 68, Irish. The household in 1871 consisted of John H. Reid, his mother Jane, and John M., aged 16.

John Hamilton Reid was the President of the York County Agricultural Society for many years and the superintendent of the Exhibition Grounds. It was mainly through his efforts that the magnificent Exhibition Palace was built in 1863-1864. When the building went up in flames in 1877, fire flakes fell on houses below the Cathedral. All parts of the city were in danger. The second Exhibition building, built the next year, burned in 1882. A great horseman, J.H. Reid brought into the Province some excellent sires and, with one importation from Kentucky, he travelled in the same car.

John H. Reid claims lot 12 x 14 in the new part, bounded on the east by A.W. Richey’s lot on the northwest by the first walk running parallel with Barrack Lane at lower end. This lot was divided into two parts. One part which is enclosed by stone posts and rods under the control of Mr. George Woods and the other belonging to me. I claim for Mrs. Woods and heirs the right of interment in her lot. This lot was purchased from Henry Chestnut in 1859 by Mrs. Woods and Mr. Reid.