The Hovey and Hooper families

Hovey

“Hovey” – there is nothing else inscribed on this handsome stone. The lot is #116 and is in the name of Stephen Hovey.

Sept. 27th [1866] Elizabeth Hovey claims on behalf of her father and his family a lot in the B. Ground, formally known as the "Hooper lot." Size about 18 feet square, and adjoining the Robb lot. Enclosed by a wooden railing. This lot was first purchased by Mrs. Hooper from Henry Chestnut.

Stephen Hovey, born 1812, a son of Stephen and Harriet Sayre Hovey, is most likely buried here, as well as his wife, Eliza Jane Agnew, born 1816. They lived in Fredericton from 1830 to 1900. Stephen Hovey was a filer on Charlotte Street. According to the census, 1861, their children were James, aged 22; Jane, 19; Rebecca and Harriet, twins, 17; Mary Alice, 14; Stephen E., 12; Allan, 10; Robert, 8; Isabell, 6; Charles, 4; and Elizabeth, 2. In the 1871 census the children of the household were Isabell, 15; Charles, 13; Elizabeth, 11; and Clara, 9. In the 1881 census, Stephen J. Hovey, 63, carpenter, and his wife Jane, 59, are listed with three of their daughters: Isabell, 24, a dressmaker; Lizzie, 20; and Clara, 18.

The first of the name, Aaron Hovey, came to the lower St. John River in 1769. In 1770 he claimed a 200-acre lot in consequence of a lease to Edmund Price, the father of his wife Dorothy. In 1783, according to the Studholm Report, he was living in Gagetown in a log house, with about 10 acres cleared. He eventually settled in the Miramichi. The children of Aaron Hovey and Dorothy Price were Janet, Abigail, Dorothy, Stephen (born 1783), Mary, Aaron (born 1788), Susanna (born 1793), Edmund (born 1795), James, Moses, Jacob Barker (born 1801), Allen, Jane (born 1797), and Asenath Ann (born 1808). Four daughters of Aaron Hovey married into Price families.

Aaron Hovey died 1839 in Ludlow, New Brunswick.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 25 December 1839:

Died at Ludlow [Southwest Miramichi], after a short illness, This truly pious and exemplary Christian was born in Massachusetts, then a British colony, in 1761. He had been a resident of the parish of Ludlow for 28 years, during the whole of which period it had been his constant practice to assemble his neighbours upon the Sabbath day for the public worship of God. Upon these occasions he confined himself to reading the scriptures, prayer and exhortations to the holiness of life. His aim was to glorify his Creator and to benefit his destitute fellow men, not to exalt himself, hence his public devotions were marked by great simplicity and primitive brevity, and his private walk and conversation by manners plain and unassuming. To a neighbourhood devoid of regular religious instruction, as in the case with the community in which he lived, such a loss cannot easily be repaired. He closed his useful and blameless life on the 30th day of November, aged 78 years. He has left 126 descendants.

The Hoveys and Hoopers were related through marriage, and many unmarked graves of the Hooper family lie here.

In 1843, N.D. Hooper was a prominent member of the Kirk when the Reverend John M. Brooke arrived. In the 1860s, Nehemiah S. Hooper had a large business of groceries, liquors, and provisions, under the County Court House.

Isabel Agnew Hovey (born 1860) married, in 1880, W. Storey Hooper whose mother had been a Hovey. They lived at 114 George Street, which house had been owned and occupied for generations by the Hooper family. Storey Hooper, insurance agent, was manager of the Fredericton Exhibition Association and in 1912 was Mayor of Fredericton. He died in 1929, and his wife in 1940.

The family of William Shepherd Estey

Estey

This lot contains three tombstones and four footstones, enclosed by a low rail with chain and tassels supported by stone posts.

William Shepherd Estey b. Oct. 4, 1797, d July 20, 1881 and his wife Lucretia Estabrooks b. Nov. 21, 1796 d Feb. 26, 1870.

Footstones: "W.S.E." and "L.E."

William Shepherd Estey was born at Queensbury. Eastey, Easty, and Esty are other spellings of this name.

William S. Estey was a blacksmith when young, and was later described as a general dealer, census enumerator, and lumber surveyor. He was a prominent member of the New Brunswick Baptist Education Society. On 29 October 1819 he was married in Fredericton to Lucretia Estabrooks, a daughter of Joseph Estabrooks and Lucretia Handy, and a granddaughter of Elijah Estabrooks. The family lived on the southwest corner of Northumberland and Charlotte Streets.

In 1836, William Estey and his brother Theophilus Ring Estey entered into a partnership as general dealers. William continued in business after the death of Theophilus, who is buried here in another plot.

Advertisement, 1836:

NOTICE: The subscribers, having entered into partnership, will constantly keep on hand, broad and narrow axes and all other kinds of blacksmith work, horse shoeing done with neatness and dispatch, and orders from the country will be punctually attended to in the shop, Queen St., formerly occupied by William S. Estey. — William S. Estey, Theophilus R. Estey, Fredericton, July 4th 1836.

The children of William and Lucretia Estey were Mary Jane, Harris Shepherd, Elizabeth Ann, Caroline Lucretia, Luantia, Joseph Nehemiah, Isabel Maria, Julie Sophia, William Ludlow, and Frederick William Estey. Most of them seem to have been born in Lincoln, downriver of Fredericton.

Mary Jane (1819-1897) married George William Turner (1816-1857) in 1839, and they had four sons. Nathaniel L. Price, a lodger in the home, married Caroline Lucretia in 1846. She died at the age of 26 years and is buried in the Price lot.

In 1871, William and two of his daughters, Isabel Maria and Elizabeth Ann, were living with his son, Harris S. Estey.

In memory of Harris S. Estey, died Dec. 16, 1882, ae 61 years. Also his wife Ellen A., died April 19, 1867, ae 41 years. "Make them to be numbered with Thy Saints in glory everlasting."

Footstones: "H.S.E." and "E.A.E."

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 17 September 1848:

Married, at Wakefield, on Sept. 3, 1848, by the Rev. Samuel Elder of Fredericton, Mr. Harris Spencer [Shepherd] Estey of the same city to Miss Ellen Amanda, second daughter of Mr. Thomas Sutherland, of Wakefield.

Harris Shepherd Estey was born on 23 February 1821. He and his wife Eleanor Amanda Sutherland, had seven children: Ida Caroline (born 1851), Helen M., Henry G., Frank A., William J., G. Frederick, and Bella L.M. Estey.

Harris S. Estey was first a grocer, his shop on the corner of Queen and Westmorland Streets, and then for years was Secretary of the Fredericton Boom Company, a very responsible position.

In memory of Joseph N. Estey born 22nd Dec., 1828, died 28th Jan., 1861. Also Mary M. Huestis, daughter of Joseph and Jane T. Estey, Nov. 1, 1860, ae 16 days.

Jane T. Huestis, wife of J. Alfred Smith, died at Boston, Mass., May 16, 1885, ae 50 years. She made home happy.

Joseph Nehemiah Estey, the younger son of William Shepherd Estey, married Jane T. Huestis. They had a son and a daughter, and within weeks of the birth of the second child, the father and child were dead. The widow, only 27 years of age, took her two-year-old son, Spencer J. Estey, to live in the United States with her widowed mother, Deborah D. Huestis. Like the rest of this connection, Deborah was a Baptist. Jane later married J. Alfred Smith, a brother of John Thomas Smith, grocer, who lived on Waterloo Row in Fredericton. She is buried here with her first husband and her daughter.

Caroline Estey Price

Price

In Memory of Caroline, wife of Nathaniel L. Price, third daughter of William S. Estey, died 12th June 1851, aged 26 years

Caroline was a daughter of William Shepherd Estey and his wife Lucretia Estabrooks. She was married to Nathaniel Price in Fredericton on 2 September 1846 by the Reverend Samuel Elder. Nathaniel Price is shown in the 1851 census as 32 years old and a lodger, with H.S. Price, aged 4, at the home of his father-in-law.

The Estabrooks, Price, and Estey families were early settlers in New Brunswick. Benjamin Price and family were on the lower St. John River in 1765. A man named Nathaniel Price lived in Maugerville in 1776 and was a known sympathiser of the Americans.