Lillie Bell Phillips, aged 5 months

Phillips

Lillie Bell daughter of Joseph and Annie E. Phillips died 25th Oct. 1866 aged 5 months and 20 days.

The inscription was copied in 1953, but by the time the small stone was to be checked for location and epitaph, it had been removed by vandals. It is thought to have been in the large square lot surrounded by a handsome iron fence claimed in 1886 by J. Edgecombe.

Joseph Phillips (1828-1905) was a son of Zophar Phillips and his wife Mehitable Dunphy. The Phillips family and the Sinclairs, whose burial plot is adjoining, settled on the Rusagonis River. Joseph Phillips, of all his family, eventually settled in Fredericton. He and Elizabeth [Ann] Edgecombe married in 1859, and they had three children of whom Lillie Bell was the youngest. In 1901, Joseph and Annie E. Phillips had living with them a son, R. Bedford H. Phillips, 38, and a daughter, Ida E., 34. It is thought that Joseph and his wife are buried in this lot.

According to records, Joseph Phillips was a school teacher in 1851, 1865, and 1871. The 1851 census listed him as the proprietor of a hotel, the Brayley House in Queen Street, a brick building near the People’s Bank opposite Gibson’s Store. Also, he was proprietor of the stage between Fredericton and Woodstock. The New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66 lists his hotel at the steamboat landing.

Frederick A. Adams, lumberman

Adams

Erected to the memory of Hannah M., the beloved wife of Frederick A. Adams, died July 28th, 1865 age 21 years. "Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord."

In Memory of Frederick A. Adams, died October 6th, 1886, aged 57 years. A small token of affection by a bereaved wife to a tender and affectionate husband.

Lot #90.  In this lot, 6 x 14 feet, is buried Frederick A. Adams, lumberer, who lived for a time in King Street near Northumberland Street. His second wife may be buried beside him in an unmarked grave.

Colonial Farmer, Fredericton, NB, 14 December 1863:

m. New Maryland (York Co.) 9th inst, at residence of bride’s father, by Rev. Dr. Hurd, Frederick A. ADAMS / Hannah Maria third d/o P. NASON.

The Fredericton Evening Capital, Fredericton, NB, 9 October 1886:

Frederick ADAMS of New Maryland (York Co.), was sitting between Myers SMITH and William PHILLIPS in the house of the latter at New Maryland on Wednesday eve. when Mr. Adams got up apparently to go towards the door. Mr. Phillips, noticing him stagger went to his assistance, when he fell and died in Mr. Phillip’s arms. It is supposed that the deceased, aged about 50 years, was a victim of heart disease.

The 1881 census for New Maryland, York County near Fredericton, shows Frederick Adams, aged 50, his wife Amanda J., and two children: Ella M., 15; and Alberta V., aged nine.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 7 April 1888:

m. Methodist Parsonage, Fredericton, by Rev. W. Dobson, 24th Jan., Azor S. NASON, New Maryland (York Co.) / Miss Ella M. ADAMS, same place.

At the time of the 1891 census, Ella Maria and Asor Nason had two children, two-year-old Frederick and the infant Gertude, and the widow Amanda lived with the family in New Maryland.

F.A. Adams now deceased claimed a lot 6 feet of ground in the NEW TIER NEAR ALLEN ST marked by a monument to claimers wife Anne Marie [sic] Adams, also marked by granite post at each corner. This lot was purchased by Mr. Adams from Henry Chestnut in 1865.

John L. Haines and family

Haines

This burial lot is shared by the Haines and Nason families and contains two stones.

In memory of Marianne, only daughter of John L. and Phoebe Haines, died 13th Sept. 1868, aged 15 years. Also their only son, James, died 24th March, 1856, aged 4 years.

In memory of William Haines, died July l0th, 1876, aged 49 years.

The Haines stone is four-sided but inscribed on the east side only.

Joseph and Peter Haines of the New York Volunteers had land grants in the Upper Keswick area.

The Saint John Morning News of 7 January 1852 notes that John L. Haines and Miss Phoebe Nason were married "on the 18th ult." by Rev. S. Elder, all residents of Fredericton. According to the New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66, John L. Haines, carpenter and builder, lived on St. John Street near George. He was the contractor who built the Free Baptist Church, dedicated on 29 December 1861. At the time of his daughter’s death, John L. Haines was an alderman in Queen’s Ward, Fredericton.

The relationship of William Haines to John L. Haines is not certain. The census of 1871 shows a William Haines, farm labourer, lodging with William Day and his wife Elizabeth.

In memory of Florence B. Nason, died Oct. 14, 1876, aged 17 years.

The present stone, of coral marble, retains the old base and the top inscribed with the name Nason.

John and Lemuel Nason were the original grantees of Nasonworth, York County. The Morning News of 25 June 1851 announced the marriage of Mr. Lemuel Nason on 14 June 1851 to Martha, second daughter of Mr. James Bailey of Sheffield. According to the census of 1861, Lemuel Nason was born in 1826. He was a joiner, George St. near Church Street. Lemuel Nason and his wife had three sons, Pembroke, Frederick and Herbert, and one daughter, Florence. His sister Ann married Israel Phillips of Blissville in December 1851. He was 58 when he died on 22 April 1885. He was a Methodist.  John and Lemuel Nason are not known to be buried in the Old Burying Ground.