Martha Braine, wife of Alexander McKilligan

McKilligan

Only the stone base for a once large tombstone remains today to mark the graves of the family of Alexander McKilligan of Fredericton. An inscription included in the graveyard notes of Dr. Hannay, which were given to Lillian Brown Maxwell, read:

Sacred to the memory of Martha wife of Alexander McKilligan, who died April 29th 1866 aged 68 years. A native of Forres, Scotland.

Martha’s age at the time of her death is uncertain. The Fredericton census 1851 gives Alexander McKilligan, aged 32; Martha, wife, 40, and Margaret, mother, 60. The census of 1861 lists Alexander McKilligan, 40, baker; Martha, wife, 40; Margaret Ritchie, niece, 19; and Margaret McKilligan, mother, 77. It is likely that both wife and mother lie buried here, and conceivably Alexander McKilligan himself.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 29 April 1842:

Alexander McKilligan — NEW BAKERY Charlotte Street – Adjoining the residence of A.W. McBeath, Esq.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 22 May 1844:

Married at Government House, on the 18th instant, by the Rev. John M. Brooke of St. Paul’s Church, Mr. Alexander McKilligan, to Miss Martha Braine, both of Fredericton.

New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66:

McKilligan, Alexander, City Marshall, Charlotte St. near Sunbury

The Fredericton Evening Capital, Fredericton, NB, 29 May 1886:

Alexander McKILLIGAN was laid to rest in the Old Burying Ground, Fredericton on Thursday. He came to Fredericton 47 years ago from Miramichi to which place he had emigrated from the north of Scotland several years previously. Engaging here in the baking business with Mr. CLARK, whose bake house and shop were in Waterloo Row, he soon branchedout for himself. About that time he married the housekeeper of Lady COLEBROOK wife of Lt. GOV. COLEBROOK. She died long ago and he was buried in the same grave that held his first love. Subsequently he became City Marshall. Marrying a second time, he left the city about twenty years ago, taking up residence on his farm near the junction of the Tay and Nashwaak. There he lived till Tuesday last, periodically coming to town. He was a member of the old St. Andrews Society. He was one of the fathers of curling in N.B. In 1854, John NEILL founded the Fredericton Curling Club and of the eight original members, he alone is left. The others, who have preceded Alex. McKilligan to the grave, were Robert FULTON, Robert THORBURN, John F. TAYLOR, Harry PHAIR, Wm A. McLEAN and James MOORE. McKilligan’s funeral was conducted by Jackson Adams, Undertaker. Rev. A.J. Mowatt performed the ceremonies. McKilligan was 68 years old and leaves a widow and one son.

Descendants of the Honourable and Reverend Jonathan Odell

Odell

Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth Ludlow, wife of George M. Odell, M.D., of Fredericton who died April 19, 1861 in the 35th year of her age. "Them that sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."

George Mountain Odell, M.D., died at Newport, Rhode Island, April 21, 1892 in the 75th year of his age. "I believe in the life everlasting."

Charles Odell, C.E., May 27, 1898. Sadie Odell, Dec. 3, 1910. Erected in loving memory of our dear father and mother.

These three tombstones are surrounded by a stone fence.

G.M. Odell at present at Newport State of Rhode Island claims a lot in the burying lot 18 x 24, situate in the north corner enclosed by a wooden fence set on stones. Purchased from Robert Wood about 1861.

The Honourable and Reverend Jonathan Odell came to New Brunswick in 1783 with the New England Loyalists. A clergyman of the Church of England, he was for many years the government Secretary of the Province. His only son, Hon. William Franklin Odell (1774-1844), also a Loyalist, had four sons: William Hunter, George Mountain, James, and Charles. The house in which they were born and brought up had been built by their grandfather, Rev. Jonathan Odell. Their father, William F. Odell, later built "Rookwood", and the original family home ultimately became a residence for the youngest son, Charles.

George Mountain Odell lived for some time in St. Mary’s on the Caleb Fowler farm, which his father subsequently bequeathed to him in 1844. In 1846 he bought a town house in Brunswick Street from Horatio Nelson Drake and married not long after.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 3 November 1847:

Married on Tuesday, the 26th ult. at St. Paul’s Church, Halifax, by the Rev. Dr. Twining, Chaplain of the Garrison, George Mountain Odell M.D., son of the late Hon. W.F. Odell of Fredericton, N.B., to Elizabeth Ludlow, daughter of D.L. Robinson, an uncle of Deputy Commissary General Robinson.

Dr. G.M. Odell married, secondly, Susan Philipse, daughter of Morris Robinson. She was a cousin of the Honourable F.P. Robinson. In 1865, Mrs. George Lee bequeathed to Susan P. Odell, her niece, wife of Dr. George M. Odell, £100, “also her work table and sofa table,” and a portrait of her father Morris Robinson. There is no inscription here in memory of Dr. Odell’s second wife.

New Brunswick Reporter, Fredericton, NB, 27 April 1892:

Intelligence of the death of Dr. Geo. M. Odell at Newport, R.I. last week was heard with sorrow by many of the old families in Fredericton whose physician and friend the deceased had been. Dr. Odell was for many years a leading physician here. His remains were brought to this city Monday and interred in the family enclosure in the old cemetery. The chief mourners were Capt. Odell, nephew of the deceased; Delancy Robinson, F.A.H. Straton and Geo. C. Hunt. Closely following these were all of the city physicians. The pall bearers were Sir John Allen, Judge Fraser, Lt. Col. Maunsell, Andrew Inches, E.H. Wilmot and J. Henry Phair. Capt. Odell was at the bedside for a couple of days before he died and accompanied the remains to the city. Rev. G.G. Roberts performed the last rites at the grave.

Charles Odell, born 16 August 1826, was twice married, first to Maynard Eliza Grange (born 1835) by whom he had two children, Florence Mary and George Grange. In 1867, Charles married, secondly, Sarah, daughter of John D. Kinnear, Judge of Probate for Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. They had five children. His eldest son, George Grange Odell, often visited his father from South America where he worked as an engineer. It is remembered that one of his parrots hid in the Cathedral and disrupted a Sunday service.

Their house, occupied for a hundred years or more by the Odell family, is now the Deanery. It is shown in the first town plat, the plan of which was made by Lieut. Dugald Campbell. Above each of the two upper rooms was a loft or sleeping quarter, entirely separate. The large iron rings bolted into the woodwork were probably placed there to chain deserters during one of the early periods of the movement of troops through Fredericton. Until 1844, this house with gardens, yards, stables, outhouses, together with land in rear, extended to Charlotte Street.

John Neill, founder of Fredericton Curling Club

Neill

John Neill died Feb. 19, 1893, in the 73rd year of his age. His wife Jane died May 3rd 1912, in the 83rd year of her age.

John E. died May 29th, 1873, ae 21 years. Charlie W. died July 16th, 1870 ae 8 years. Sons of John and Jane Neill.

Thomas A., born July 1859, ae 3 months.

Robert Neill died June 19, 1892, ae 32 years.

Lot #120 was once enclosed with strong posts, rod and chains. The stone is engraved on four sides, with John Neill’s inscription facing west.

John Neill came from Scotland and began a hardware business, Fredericton’s Big Hardware Store, that continued for many years into the third generation. He was the secretary of the Fredericton Society of St. Andrews from 1847 to 1852, and it was he who introduced curling into Fredericton. He founded the Fredericton Curling Club in 1854, and the curling stones were bought at his store. The club originally consisted of eight members: John Neill, Alexander McKilligan, Robert Fulton, Robert Thorburn, John F. Taylor, Barry Phair, William A. McLean, and Thomas Moore. John Neill was the last survivor.

His wife, Jane, was a daughter of Samuel D. MacPherson. The Neills had a large family, which in 1871 consisted of James S., 21; Annie, 19; Frances, 17; Mary, 15; John, 14; Robert, 10; Alice, 5; and Albert and Albertina, twins, 3 years old. James and Albert continued to operate the family business after the death of their father.

John Neill claims a lot in the New Part of the Burial Ground, size about 12 x 16 feet. Bounded south by the late Archdeacon Coster’s lot and on the North by the late James Agnew’s lot. Enclosed by stone posts and chains and is marked by a monument to the claimer’s son John E. Neill. Claimer purchased this lot from Geo Botsford in 1859.

Asa Coy and son, druggists: “Leeches, Leeches, Leeches”

Coy

In Memory of

Mary Ann Coy

Asa Coy

Sarah Coy

Holly Coy

This stone is engraved with "Dear Father and Mother 1885" on the face and one name on each side of its base. The lot was once enclosed by an iron fence with stone posts.

Mollie died July 16, 1876, ae 5 months.

Mollie was a granddaughter of Asa Coy, a child of his daughter Sarah who married J. Henry Phair.

Asa Coy was born in Gagetown in 1799, son of Amasa Coy (1757-1838) and his first wife Elizabeth Holly. He came to Fredericton from Maugerville with his father and was brought up in Fredericton, where he lived out his days. He had two sisters, Sarah Smith and Rebecca Bunnell Simpson, and two stepbrothers, John S. Coy (born 1812) and Amasa P. Coy (born 1815).

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 3 August 1824:

Married by the Rev. George Best, Thomas B. Smith, of Burton, to Sarah, eldest daughter of Mr. Amasa Coy.

Asa married Mary Ann (1805 – 1884) in Fredericton on 29 March 1825, the daughter of Jarvis Ring (born 1781) and his wife, Sarah Hartt of Canning. Asa Coy was a licensed auctioneer and prosperous. The Coy block, where the family lived above the shop, is on the southeast corner of Queen and Regent Streets. The family was Calvinist Baptist, like all early Maugerville settlers. A portrait of Asa and Mary Ann Coy is in the York-Sunbury Historical Society Museum.

In 1836, Asa Coy was Vice President of the Union Fire Club. In 1837 he was treasurer of the New Brunswick Baptist Education Society. In 1838, he founded the Bank of Fredericton, of which he was President. In the general election of 1843, Asa Coy was a candidate in York County but was defeated. In 1847, he set up his son, Asa Holly, as a druggist. "LEECHES LEECHES LEECHES — Asa Coy and Son Druggists," read the sign. Asa Coy was the paymaster of the New Brunswick Yeomanry Cavalry for many years, appointed in 1849. In 1850 he was appointed Receiver of Crown Debts and later Secretary of the Board of Works.

The children of Asa and Mary Ann Coy were Asa Holly (born 25 May 1827), Caroline Ring (born 6 May 1829), Sarah Elizabeth (b. 22 March 1831), Mary Ann (born 1 November 1832), Fanny Rebecca (born 29 April 1835), Harriet Amelia (born 12 September 1837), Fanny Rebecca Simpson (born 14 January 1840), George Frederick (born 9 January 1844), and Amasa Simpson (born 19 April 1846).

Three daughters of Asa Coy died in infancy. It is not known where these children are buried.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 16 March 1836:

Died on Monday morning last, Frances Rebecca, infant daughter of Mr. Asa Coy, aged 10 months.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 25 October 1848:

Died on the 12th instant, 1848, Harriet Amelia, fourth daughter of Asa Coy, Esq. aged 11 years and 1 month. Remarkable from her earliest childhood for her gentleness, amiability and thoughtfulness of disposition, she exhibited in the severe and protracted illness that preceded her death. Also, on the 25th instant Fanny Rebecca, fifth daughter of Asa Coy, ae 8 years and nine months.

Asa Coy’s eldest daughter, Caroline Ring, married Levi Waterhouse, Saint John, and they had one child, Ann. Mary Ann married William Watts, florist, Fredericton, who very comfortably provided for her.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 29 October 1851:

Married at Saint John, on Thursday Morning last, in Trinity Church, by the Reverend Alexander Stewart, Mr. A.H. Coy, Druggist of Fredericton, to Mary Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Stephen K. Foster, Esquire of that City.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 13 March 1850:

Married, at the Cathedral Church, Fredericton, on Wednesday, the 6th inst. by the Venerable the Archdeacon [Coster], J. Henry Phair, Esq. to Sarah Elizabeth, second daughter of Asa Coy, Esq., of the City.

This marriage proved not to be a happy one.

In 1861, Asa and Mary Ann Coy had their daughter Sarah Phair living with them and their grandson, Edwin, age 10. Asa Coy was then Secretary of the Board of Works, Queen and Regent Streets., and his son, Asa Holly Coy, was clerk of the Board of Works.

Asa Coy died in 1874.

J. Henry Phair as agent for his wife and Mrs. Caroline Waterhouse claims this lot enclosed with iron and post chains, marked by a monument to the late Asa Coy. This lot was formerly purchased from Henry Chestnut.

J. Henry Phair was a barrister and Fishery Commissioner. He was a keen sportsman, of an artistic nature, very personable. He several times went on fishing trips in New Brunswick with Teddy Roosevelt, President of the United States, of whom he was a great admirer. In 1891, J. Henry Phair was appointed Clerk of the Legislative Council. This Council met for the last time in 1892 but the salary of the Clerk continued for his lifetime.

Asa Coy, 31 March 1846 — “My Grandfather’s Family on my Father’s Side":

Sarah — Mrs. Plummer, first child. Died several years ago at the Nashwaak leaving several children and a numerous progeny of grandchildren.

Amasa — Born in Connecticut then a British colony, 24 July 1757. Married at Gagetown, 1797 or 1798 to Elizabeth Holly. Three children Asa, Sarah Smith and Rebecca Simpson. Married the Widow Smith in Burton in ? Two children, Johnny and Amasa, who died in Burton. Amasa and Elizabeth Holly were my parents. He died at Fredericton July 18, 1838.

Asa — Third child. Died before marriage, smallpox.

Edward — Still alive, lives in Canning, Queen’s County. Several children

Hannah — Mrs. Cromwell, died four or five years ago at Burton. Four children. She was the first English girl born on the St. John River

John — died many years ago at the Nashwaak. Several children

Rebecca — Mrs. Bunnell. Died in Fredericton 1846. Left no issue.

Levine — Mrs. Turney. Died several years ago at Swan Creek. Left several children

Mary — Mrs. Morris now Mrs. Bradley. Never had any children.

David — lives at Gagetown. Several children

Benjamin — Also lives at Gagetown. Several Children. Is an ordained minister in connection with the Baptist Association of this Province.