Descendants of Jacob Segee

Segee

William V. Segee, born 8th June 1801, died 6th October 1875.

George N. Segee, born 5th January 1818, died 10th October 1865.

Little George, born 26th April 1864, died 26 August 1865.

Lucy Ann Roberts Creighton, wife of George N. Segee, born 20th April 1829, died 19th January 1920.

Sarah E. Segee, born 10th May 1813, died 2nd July 1870.

One tall stone in a lot once enclosed by a wrought iron fence. Only the east portion now remains.

Jacob Segee of the Loyal American Regiment came to New Brunswick in 1783 with his wife Mercy and their sons John, William, Joseph, and James who became a steamboat captain on the St. John River.

William Vincent, George N., and Sarah E. were children of Captain James Segee and his wife, Sarah G. Noble. George N. was the father of Mrs. James Lemont of this city who died in August 1954. Sarah Elizabeth was the grandmother of the late Frederick A. Payne of Lincoln, she having been the first wife of Andrew Payne; her son, Robert Payne, married Amanda Glasier. Mary Ann Segee, another sister, was the mother of the Honourable A.G. Blair.

William Segee (1767-1840), brother of Captain James Segee, lived on and owned what was formerly the Edward Simonds [or Symonds] farm near the present site of the Agricultural Research Station in Lincoln. He conducted quite a large business in pine timber and ship-building, and the place was called Segee’s Bluff.

His death is recorded in the Sentinel and Advertiser, published every Saturday by Edward Ward, Office Phoenix or Tank House, Fredericton, NB:

At his residence, on the 4th inst., Mr. William Segee, age 73 years deeply lamented by a large circle of friends. Mr. Segee was one of the United Empire Loyalists who came here with his father, Jacob Segee, in 1783, and from that period until the day of his death sustained an unblemished character which endeared him to all who knew him.

See also The Old Burying Ground, Vol. I, p. 291.

Richard Pinder and family

Pinder

Pinder, Zitelia Susan July 27, 1876, 3 months

From the Old Burying Ground records, City of Fredericton:

Richard M. Pinder claims a lot 8 x 13, old part bounded south by the Charles Mills lot, east by William Anderson’s lot and on the north by A. Estey’s lot. Enclosed by four wooden stakes and marked by monuments with names Stella and Robie on same. This lot was marked for the above claimer by William Craig in the early 1870s.

“Stella” and “Robbie” were the children of John and Elizabeth Wilson.

Richard M. Pinder lived in Brunswick Street on the north corner of Church. He was a partner in Cooper’s carriage trade in the 1870s, Cooper and Pinder. The carriage factory was in King Street between York and Westmorland Streets. He married Frances C. Payne, eldest daughter of Richard Payne, in 1874. Zitelia Susan was their daughter. Several others of their children died young, including two sons of diptheria in 1881.

Census, Fredericton, NB, 1901:

Pinder, Richard, head of household, born Feb 16 1846, aged 55

Francis, wife, Aug 28 1846, 54

Annie, daughter, Mar 19 1881, 20

May, daughter, Dec 30 1882, 18

Gertrude, daughter, Apr 16 1885, 15

Jack, son, Oct 4 1889, 11

Annie, mother, widow, Apr 6 1814, 86

Richard Pinder’s mother Ann, widow of John Pinder, was a confectioner and grocer. In 1861, the census showed Ann Pinder, 46, sharing a home with Elizabeth, 24; George, 13; Mary, 9; and three grandsons: Henry Devitt, 5; Francis, 3; and George R., 1 month.

The New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66 lists Richard and James Pinder, both carpenters, at Queen near St. John Street. Lovell’s Directory 1871 shows Richard M. Pinder, Colwell Pinder Company, Queen Street, and James K. Pinder, Builder, Queen Street.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 1 April 1896:

Major Wm T. Howe of Stanley (York Co.) and Capt. R.M. Pinder of this city, two of the oldest officers in the 71st Battalion, have resigned their commissions in the militia…. Capt. Pinder has been connected with the militia for nearly 35 years. He was a member of the old Victoria Rifles and was with his corps at St. Andrews at the time of the Fenian scare. He was a crack rifle shot in his younger days and was at Wimbleton with the Canadian team in 1875.

Pinder is not a common surname in Fredericton, and others listed in the records are most likely related to Richard Pinder.