Partelow and Tabor

Tabor

Memorial to the Honourable John R. Partelow who died on the 13th Jan. 1865, aged 69 years.

Also his wife, Jane Hamlin, who departed this life 20th Feb. 1866, aged 69 years. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord."

In Memory of Charles Clifton Tabor, late Lieut. 15th Regt., died March 21st, 1888 aged 47 years. "Simply to Thy cross I cling"

In memory of Ada, wife of Charles Clifton Tabor, died March 23rd 1919, aged 80 years. "At rest in the Lord".

Percy Clifton, died Nov. 8th, 1886 aged 2 years, son of Charles and Ada Tabor.

John Clifton Tabor

Lot #156. There are six graves in this enclosed lot: Hon. John R. Partelow, his wife, and his daughter Ada, Mrs. Tabor, with her husband and two of their children.

Chas. C. Tabor claims a lot in the Burial ground. Size about 16 feet square. Situate towards the North West corner of Ground. Enclosed by heavy granite coping. Marked by marble [illegible]. Engraved "Partelow" Claimer purchased this lot from Henry Chestnut Feb 21st 1866

John R. Partelow was the son of a shoemaker, Jehiel Partelow of Saint John. He married Jane Hamlin Matthews in 1819.

From 1828 until 1856, except for an interlude of three years, John R. Partelow was a member of the Legislature for the County of St. John. He was Chamberlain of Saint John from 1827 until 1865, and was also Mayor of that city, appointed 10 April 1846 and holding office until 5 July 1848 when he was appointed Provincial Secretary. Mr. Partelow was appointed Auditor General of New Brunswick on 7 May 1855, which office he held until his death in January 1865.

When Mr. Partelow was appointed Provincial Secretary, he brought his wife and family to Fredericton. His eldest daughter, Mary, married James R. Crane. Jane, the second daughter, married John MacKay. Elizabeth married Thomas Otty Crookshank. Agnes married Henry Jeffrey Robinson, Captain, 76th Regiment, in 1857 and is buried nearby in the H.J. Robinson plot. Emma, the fourth daughter of Mr. Partelow, was the third wife of James Scott Beek, who succeeded Mr. Partelow as Auditor General and, like his father-in-law, was one of New Brunswick’s most distinguished civil servants. The Canadian Parliamentary Guide, 1908, lists Mr. James S. Beek, Auditor General of New Brunswick as a Companion of the Imperial Service Order. The order was instituted by King Edward, 8 August 1902, for faithful and meritorious service in the Civil Service.

Ada, the youngest daughter, in 1862 married Charles Clifton Tabor of the 15th Regiment of Foot stationed in Fredericton from 1862 to 1868. Captain Tabor and his wife were well known in Fredericton. When Captain Clifton Tabor retired from the army, they resided at "Woodlands," the former home of Major Hansard of the 69th Regiment (Ret’d) who died in 1853. Mrs. Hansard sold the house in 1866.

The Tabors had a large family: besides the two young sons buried here, they had seven sons and three daughters. Their daughter Agnes, when young, wrote a prize essay on the 104th Regiment. She married, as his first wife, J.H.A.L. Fairweather, Judge of the Supreme Court of New Brunswick. Lilla married the Rev. G. Edward R. MacDonald, a nephew and foster son of Rev. Canon George Goodridge Roberts. The MacDonalds lived in California. After the death of Mrs. Clifton Tabor in 1919, her eldest daughter, Ada, married Dr. William Tyng Raymond, Professor of Classics at the University of New Brunswick. Some years after he retired (1929), they moved from their home at 770 George Street in Fredericton to Saint John where they died.

Agnes Strachan Partelow, wife of Henry J. Robinson

Robinson

Agnes Strachan, beloved wife of Henry J. Robinson, Esq. late of H.M. 76th Regiment. Died at Saint John Sept. 12th, 1868, in the 34th year of her age.

Henry Jeffrey Robinson of H.M. 76th Regiment of Foot was an Irishman who remained in Fredericton when his regiment departed, and married Agnes Strachan Partelow, daughter of the Honourable John R. Partelow, Provincial Secretary of New Brunswick from 1848 to 1854. He and his wife lived in the house which is now numbered 868 George Street. In 1865, they bought another house, 725 George Street, then newly improved. It was said that the ill health of his wife marred the first few years in that house.

In 1869, Henry Robinson took for his second wife Sarah Black, a sister of the late John Black, Barrister, and a daughter of Rev. John Black of Springhill. Her unmarried sister Eleanor lived with them. Some years later Henry J. Robinson took his wife to Ireland to live and her niece, Ethel Rainsford, visited them there. Henry Robinson was well-connected. He had no children.

Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 4 April 1896:

A cable from Port Rush, Ireland announces the death at that place today of Col. H.J. ROBINSON, brother-in-law of John BLACK, M.P.P. of this city. Col. Robinson, who resided in this city about 14 years ago, was stricken with paralysis some months since and latterly no hope of recovery was held out. Mrs. Robinson will have the sympathy of friends in her affliction.

Miss Rachael Martin, teacher and eccentric

Martin

In memoriam Rachael Martin, Departed this life Aug 22nd, 1867. "She died Trusting in her Redeemer"

Rachael Martin was born in 1786 and died 22 August 1867. In 1935 her tombstone was found broken and lying on the ground. It has since been repaired and replaced but is now only partly legible.

Headquarters, Fredericton, NB, 28 August 1867:

Died at her residence in Fredericton, on 22nd August, Rachel Martin, daughter of the late Dr. Martin, for many years a respected teacher of this place. She died trusting in the merits of her Redeemer.

On Friday last might have been seen a small, serious if not sad, party, winding its way towards St. Anne’s Church, headed by its worthy rector, Rev. Mr. Lee. Next followed a hearse containing all that was mortal of Miss Rachel Martin. Half a century ago, to her was entrusted the care of educating the greater part of the present heads of the oldest families of this town. Her poetical effusions also will long be remembered "in both houses." Great age (the supposition is, for no one could find out with accuracy, over ninety) and suffering had of late years added much to her extreme eccentricity, but her wonderful reliance on herself and her Maker made up for the infirmities to which all are subject, therefore "nothing extenuate or set down ought in malice". There was more to admire than censure in this teacher of over two thousand souls. The pains of her passing away were greatly relieved by the indefatigable care of the wife of Dr. Cougle, who, ever ready to watch by the sufferer’s bedside, devoted day and night to that Christian purpose, assisted by another lady (Mrs. Vail) now on a visit to our town.

Rachael Martin’s father, the Reverend Dr. John Martin (1748-1832), was a surgeon and Presbyterian minister from Ireland who emigrated first to the United States. About 1776, he married Abigail Denison (1751-1829) who had also come from the United States. Both are buried in Sussex Corner, New Brunswick. Rachael had several siblings: Abigail, who died young, Lavinia and John, both of whom married members of the Graves family, Malka, who married a Colonel Cougal, and Mary, who married a Leggatt.

Dr. Arthur W.H. Eaton’s 1910 History of Kings County, Nova Scotia says that Rachael Martin "kept a notable school for girls in Kentville… and had much influence on the minds and manners of the Kentville young women…. She had the floor of her school room chalked, and her pupils were literally obliged to ‘toe the mark’."

In 1822 a Sunday school for black children was established that lasted for at least 2 years and was taught by Rachael Martin, who was the supervisor of the Madras school in Fredericton. In the 1850s she was a teacher in Fredericton and was reputed to be a good one.

Journals of the House of Assembly, New Brunswick, 29 January 1853:

Mr. Partelow, by leave presented a petition from Rachel Martin, an instructress of youth, setting forth her long and faithful services and the inestimable benefit she has for a period of twenty-six years, rendered to the Province in that capacity, praying compensation therefore; which he read… it was decided in the negative.

Miss Martin’s address on 25 October 1861 was a welcome to the new governor, His Excellency the Honourable Arthur Gordon — to the tune of "Auld Lang Syne": "Hail Gordon of illustrious race, The Pride of Aberdeen — With smiles we meet thy noble face and thank our gracious Queen. Hail Gordon — our hearts o’er flow with Loyalty’s high tide…" and continued for many verses.

Her Fredericton home was on Waterloo Row and it is thought that the back end is now [the carriage house behind] the Carriage House Inn, University Avenue.