Robert Baxter and family

Baxter

Lot #75. There are eight graves in this lot, 6 x 8 feet, situated between that of Robert Weeks and the monument in memory of the Reverend John Brownell. The lot was purchased in 1808 from Henry Chestnut. There is one fairly new stone, complete with engravings.

Robert Baxter.

Louisa D. Baxter,

Nancy Baxter,

Harriet L. Baxter,

Hedley V. Baxter.

Robert Baxter kept a candy store. Harriet Louisa, daughter of Robert Baxter, was born 20 January 1867[?] and baptised in the Methodist Church in Fredericton on 1 February 1873. Louisa D. Hovey, Mrs. Baxter, died 15 December 1919 at Nashua, New Hampshire. Her last surviving daughter, Laura, died 18 May 1937 and is buried there.

Lovell’s Directory 1871:

Baxter, Mrs. Louise, Queen, Fredericton, widow of Robert/Storekeeper

The 1881 census for Fredericton lists Louisa Baxter, Methodist, English, dress maker, aged 40 years, widow. In her household were John Baxter, 20, tanner; Robert, 19, store clerk; Hedley, 17; Laura, 15; Charles, 13; and Hattie, 11.

Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 4 July 1890:

News was received in the city last night of the death of Hedley Baxter at Haverhill, Mass. to which place he moved from here some 4 or 5 years ago. Deceased was employed for a number of years at Neill’s hardware store. The remains will be brought here for interment.

Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 7 July 1890:

The funeral of Hedley BAXTER, the particulars of whose sad death at Haverhill, Mass., were given in Saturday’s ‘Gleaner’, took place from N.B.R. station upon the arrival of the train Saturday afternoon. The remains were accompanied by the deceased’s two brothers, Charles Baxter and Robert Baxter and Mr. Blake, a companion of Hedley’s, who walked together behind the hearse. The interment took place in the old burial ground, Rev. Payson conducting an impressive service.

Stevenson and MacPherson

Stevenson

William Stevenson, b. June 15, 1800, d. Mar. 21, 1872. Mary, his wife, b. June 17, 1797, d. Jan. 7, 1860.

James D. MacPherson, born Oct. 15, 1824, died Jan. 29, 1888.

These inscriptions are on either side of a substantial stone.

William Stevenson was a grocer, Queen and Phoenix Square, according to the New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66.

James MacPherson was a harness maker. Samuel D. McPherson advertised in the New Brunswick Directory his Saddle and Harness manufactory in Queen Street which had been established for thirty-four years. James was a son of Samuel and a member of that important business. He was a brother of Mary Stevenson, and also of Jane, Mrs. John Neill, and Elizabeth, Mrs. Justin Spahnn.

John MacPherson, son of James, was born in 1842. At the age of 11, he was a lodger in the home of his aunt, Mrs. Stevenson. In 1871, when William Stevenson retired, he was living with his nephew John and his wife Anne. John MacPherson continued the business of Stevenson’s grocery store.

John MacPherson claims a lot in the Burial ground. Size about 13 x 8 feet, situate in the New Part 3rd Sec. West. Bounded north by William Needham’s lot, south by the Agnew lot, East and West by walks Said lot extending between them. Not enclosed but marked by a monument to claimer’s Aunt, Mary Stevenson. This lot was first purchased by the late William Stevenson, who at his death willed it to the above claimant.

John Neill, founder of Fredericton Curling Club

Neill

John Neill died Feb. 19, 1893, in the 73rd year of his age. His wife Jane died May 3rd 1912, in the 83rd year of her age.

John E. died May 29th, 1873, ae 21 years. Charlie W. died July 16th, 1870 ae 8 years. Sons of John and Jane Neill.

Thomas A., born July 1859, ae 3 months.

Robert Neill died June 19, 1892, ae 32 years.

Lot #120 was once enclosed with strong posts, rod and chains. The stone is engraved on four sides, with John Neill’s inscription facing west.

John Neill came from Scotland and began a hardware business, Fredericton’s Big Hardware Store, that continued for many years into the third generation. He was the secretary of the Fredericton Society of St. Andrews from 1847 to 1852, and it was he who introduced curling into Fredericton. He founded the Fredericton Curling Club in 1854, and the curling stones were bought at his store. The club originally consisted of eight members: John Neill, Alexander McKilligan, Robert Fulton, Robert Thorburn, John F. Taylor, Barry Phair, William A. McLean, and Thomas Moore. John Neill was the last survivor.

His wife, Jane, was a daughter of Samuel D. MacPherson. The Neills had a large family, which in 1871 consisted of James S., 21; Annie, 19; Frances, 17; Mary, 15; John, 14; Robert, 10; Alice, 5; and Albert and Albertina, twins, 3 years old. James and Albert continued to operate the family business after the death of their father.

John Neill claims a lot in the New Part of the Burial Ground, size about 12 x 16 feet. Bounded south by the late Archdeacon Coster’s lot and on the North by the late James Agnew’s lot. Enclosed by stone posts and chains and is marked by a monument to the claimer’s son John E. Neill. Claimer purchased this lot from Geo Botsford in 1859.