Richard Pinder and family

Pinder

Pinder, Zitelia Susan July 27, 1876, 3 months

From the Old Burying Ground records, City of Fredericton:

Richard M. Pinder claims a lot 8 x 13, old part bounded south by the Charles Mills lot, east by William Anderson’s lot and on the north by A. Estey’s lot. Enclosed by four wooden stakes and marked by monuments with names Stella and Robie on same. This lot was marked for the above claimer by William Craig in the early 1870s.

“Stella” and “Robbie” were the children of John and Elizabeth Wilson.

Richard M. Pinder lived in Brunswick Street on the north corner of Church. He was a partner in Cooper’s carriage trade in the 1870s, Cooper and Pinder. The carriage factory was in King Street between York and Westmorland Streets. He married Frances C. Payne, eldest daughter of Richard Payne, in 1874. Zitelia Susan was their daughter. Several others of their children died young, including two sons of diptheria in 1881.

Census, Fredericton, NB, 1901:

Pinder, Richard, head of household, born Feb 16 1846, aged 55

Francis, wife, Aug 28 1846, 54

Annie, daughter, Mar 19 1881, 20

May, daughter, Dec 30 1882, 18

Gertrude, daughter, Apr 16 1885, 15

Jack, son, Oct 4 1889, 11

Annie, mother, widow, Apr 6 1814, 86

Richard Pinder’s mother Ann, widow of John Pinder, was a confectioner and grocer. In 1861, the census showed Ann Pinder, 46, sharing a home with Elizabeth, 24; George, 13; Mary, 9; and three grandsons: Henry Devitt, 5; Francis, 3; and George R., 1 month.

The New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66 lists Richard and James Pinder, both carpenters, at Queen near St. John Street. Lovell’s Directory 1871 shows Richard M. Pinder, Colwell Pinder Company, Queen Street, and James K. Pinder, Builder, Queen Street.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 1 April 1896:

Major Wm T. Howe of Stanley (York Co.) and Capt. R.M. Pinder of this city, two of the oldest officers in the 71st Battalion, have resigned their commissions in the militia…. Capt. Pinder has been connected with the militia for nearly 35 years. He was a member of the old Victoria Rifles and was with his corps at St. Andrews at the time of the Fenian scare. He was a crack rifle shot in his younger days and was at Wimbleton with the Canadian team in 1875.

Pinder is not a common surname in Fredericton, and others listed in the records are most likely related to Richard Pinder.

Charles Mills and Maria Saunders

Mills

In Memory of Charles Mills, died April 2nd, 1875 aged 74 years. Also his wife Maria died July 4th 1876 aged 72 years.

Maria Saunders and her second husband are buried in a lot adjoining that of her first husband, Alexander Anderson, and four of their children. Lieutenant Charles Mills was the Adjutant of the 33rd Regiment, stationed in Fredericton between 1845 and 1848.

The Fredericton census, 1871, shows Charles Mills, gardener, aged 65, living with his wife, Marie, 65, and Alexander Anderson, stepson, 24, carpenter.

Alexander Anderson and children

Anderson

In Memory of Alexander Anderson, died March 8, 1848, aged 47 years

Also Elizabeth Anderson, died November 10th, 1846, aged 4 years

Also Isabella Anderson, died March 8th, 1848, aged 9 months

Also William Anderson, died November 12th, 1850, aged 10 years.

Alexander Anderson of Fredericton, labourer, bought land in 1845 on the new Needham Street “as laid out by Mark Needham,” and evidently was strong and prosperous until residing in his new abode, where he and three of his children died within a few years.

His wife was Maria Saunders, and the family attended the Kirk. She and her only surviving child, Alexander, remained at their new address adjacent to the famous garden of William Watts. Charles Mills, her second husband, was a gardener.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 19 April 1852:

Married on the 13th inst. by the Rev. J. M. Brooke, Mr. Charles Mills to Maria, widow of the late Alexander Anderson, all of Fredericton.