Martha Braine, wife of Alexander McKilligan

McKilligan

Only the stone base for a once large tombstone remains today to mark the graves of the family of Alexander McKilligan of Fredericton. An inscription included in the graveyard notes of Dr. Hannay, which were given to Lillian Brown Maxwell, read:

Sacred to the memory of Martha wife of Alexander McKilligan, who died April 29th 1866 aged 68 years. A native of Forres, Scotland.

Martha’s age at the time of her death is uncertain. The Fredericton census 1851 gives Alexander McKilligan, aged 32; Martha, wife, 40, and Margaret, mother, 60. The census of 1861 lists Alexander McKilligan, 40, baker; Martha, wife, 40; Margaret Ritchie, niece, 19; and Margaret McKilligan, mother, 77. It is likely that both wife and mother lie buried here, and conceivably Alexander McKilligan himself.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 29 April 1842:

Alexander McKilligan — NEW BAKERY Charlotte Street – Adjoining the residence of A.W. McBeath, Esq.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 22 May 1844:

Married at Government House, on the 18th instant, by the Rev. John M. Brooke of St. Paul’s Church, Mr. Alexander McKilligan, to Miss Martha Braine, both of Fredericton.

New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66:

McKilligan, Alexander, City Marshall, Charlotte St. near Sunbury

The Fredericton Evening Capital, Fredericton, NB, 29 May 1886:

Alexander McKILLIGAN was laid to rest in the Old Burying Ground, Fredericton on Thursday. He came to Fredericton 47 years ago from Miramichi to which place he had emigrated from the north of Scotland several years previously. Engaging here in the baking business with Mr. CLARK, whose bake house and shop were in Waterloo Row, he soon branchedout for himself. About that time he married the housekeeper of Lady COLEBROOK wife of Lt. GOV. COLEBROOK. She died long ago and he was buried in the same grave that held his first love. Subsequently he became City Marshall. Marrying a second time, he left the city about twenty years ago, taking up residence on his farm near the junction of the Tay and Nashwaak. There he lived till Tuesday last, periodically coming to town. He was a member of the old St. Andrews Society. He was one of the fathers of curling in N.B. In 1854, John NEILL founded the Fredericton Curling Club and of the eight original members, he alone is left. The others, who have preceded Alex. McKilligan to the grave, were Robert FULTON, Robert THORBURN, John F. TAYLOR, Harry PHAIR, Wm A. McLEAN and James MOORE. McKilligan’s funeral was conducted by Jackson Adams, Undertaker. Rev. A.J. Mowatt performed the ceremonies. McKilligan was 68 years old and leaves a widow and one son.

McInnes and McBeath

McInnes

Miss R.M. McInnes claims a lot on the 3rd path from Allen Street in the new part. Bounded on the north by the Joseph Fleming lot, on the other three sides by walks, it being a corner, enclosed by granite posts, iron rods and chains. Marked by monuments to William McBeath, Sarah Moffat and others.

Two stones are enclosed by iron railings and chains with joining posts.

Sacred to the memory of Henry McPherson McBeath who departed this life 15 January, 1841, aged 19 months. Also Mary Allison McBeath who died 26th August, 1841, aged 25 days. Jesus said, "Suffer little children to come unto me and forbid them not for such is the Kingdom of God."

William McBeath born April 30, 1800, died June 30, 1882, and Sarah Moffat, wife of William McBeath died November 26th, 1875.

Footstones: "H.McP.B." and "M.A.MCB."

William McBeath was a prominent member of the Kirk, and the first insurance agent in Fredericton.

In memory of John McInnes, born in Argylshire, Scotland, June 1st, 1819, died Jan. 15, 1880, and his wife Jane, died 1833. Also John Campbell — John Archd. — Clara L. Alice — Jesse Campbell. Children of John and Jane McInnes.

Jane was the daughter of William and Sarah McBeath. Her husband, John McInnes, lived with the McBeaths when he came to Fredericton to take charge of the gas works. One son, Frank McInnes, was the Boston city engineer. Another son, Archibald, married Caroline, a daughter of George Babbit of Fredericton, and became a prominent engineer in New York.

Daily Telegraph, Saint John, NB, 20 January 1880:

Fredericton, Jan. 19 – The funeral of John McInnes which took place yesterday afternoon at 2 o’clock was largely attended. The pall bearers were John A. Morrison, Wm Anderson, F.A.H. Straton, Geo. F. Whelpley, Arthur Limerick and John Edwards. The remains were interred in the old burial ground.

Robert Irwin, tavern keeper

Irwin

Robert Irwin 1817-1873

Hugh Irwin 1818-1844

In memory of Mills Edwin, infant son of Robert and Sarah Irwin who died January 21st 1844, aged 10 months.

Footstone:

M.I.

There are no marked graves in this large Irwin lot (unclaimed in 1886) other than that of the infant Mills.

Robert and Hugh Irwin, brothers, came from Scotland via Cork in 1831 with two sisters, Margaret and Mary Ann, and a cousin, Robert. They came with John Moore and his wife, an aunt of the young Irwins. John Moore and his wife settled at Beaver Dam.

Robert Irwin worked in the tavern of Ebenezer Nicholson, and in 1841 married Sarah Nicholson and became the proprietor. The children of Robert and Sarah Irwin, all baptised by the Reverend Dr. Brooke, were Mills, Robert, Lucy Mills, and Sarah Ann.

Robert’s sister Margaret married Robert Colwell in 1838, and Mary Ann married John Arbuckle of the City of New York in 1840. His brother Hugh became a stone mason in St. Mary’s and married Matilda, a daughter of William Grieves. After the death of his wife, Hugh Irwin lived with Benjamin Hanson and his family. His daughter Elizabeth lived with her maternal grandparents, and later was the first wife of J. R. Howie.

The tavern of Robert Irwin was popular. In 1846 he advertised his hotel, and on the 30th of November of that same year the Fredericton St. Andrew Society celebrated there. A stage from Fredericton to Newcastle run by George McBeath commenced in January 1847, taking passengers at Robert Irwin’s hotel on Regent Street. William Grieves, a brother of the deceased Mrs. Hugh Irwin, succeeded Robert Irwin as proprietor after many years’ connection with the hotel. The name of the hotel became the Waverley and later on the Colonial. William Grieves was succeeded in turn by his son, John Brooks Grieves.

The administrators of the estate of Robert Irwin were John Moore, David Fisher, who was a son-in-law of John Moore, and George H. Hart of the Crown Land office, who, like Robert Irwin, had arrived in Fredericton in 1831. George Hart was older when he came to the city and already married to a sister of the Honourable John A. Beckwith.