John Richards and family

Richards

John Richards claims a lot 10 x 20 NEW PART adjoining the Odell lot. Enclosed by granite posts with iron rods and chains. Mr. Richards purchases this lot from George Botsford.

Only the markers are left: “H.A.R.,” “J.R.,” “E.R.,” “T.R.,” “G.L.R.,” “J.O.W.R.,” and “J.T.R.”

John Richards was born in 1823 and married Helen Ann Long, born 1826. Their children were Helen M., James F., Charles L., Fanny F., Minnie B., and Annie. In the 1851 census, John Richards, 28, is listed with his wife, Helen A., 25, and an infant daughter, Sarah. In 1862 he was a commission merchant, furniture dealer, insurance agent, city auditor, ticket agent, and a prominent Mason. He was a sitting magistrate of York County in the 1870s. He also was secretary-treasurer of the Fredericton Railway Company of which Thomas Temple was President, 1876. When he died in 1897, John Richards was assistant Clerk of the Legislative Assembly.

The marker "E.R." probably refers to John Richards’s Welsh mother, Eleanor, who lived in Fredericton with A.P. Miller and family in 1871.

Charles Long of Long’s Hotel, Fredericton

Long

Lot #34. This apparently vacant lot, 9 x 18 feet, situated between that of Richard Estey and John Gregory, is in the name of W.W. Long and was claimed by him in 1866. It is thought that Charles Long is buried here, possibly with his wife Catherine.

The Longs, like the Hovey family, came from Ludlow. Charles Long was the owner of Long’s Hotel, which was the large brick building on the corner of King and York Streets. He built a home at 369 George Street for himself and his family, which included Alfred E., a school teacher; George, a clerk; Isaac, a harness maker; and John, an ostler. William W. Long, who claimed this lot, was also a son of Charles.

The Old Kirk Baptismal Records list, 16 November 1854, a son, Andrew, born to William Long and his wife Jane Kelly.

In the Fredericton census of 1871, Charles Long, aged 64, and his wife Catherine, 63, are listed as living up the Nashwaak with their sons Isaac, 29, and Alfred, 20. In the same year William Long, 35, with his second wife, Louisa, 29, and a 1-year-old son, Harrison, were living in the home of Susanna Pickard, aged 76.

William W. Long was a charter member of the Fredericton Orange Lodge which was formed in 1844. He was described in the Fredericton Directory, 1865-66, as a farmer living at the corner of King and York Streets, and in the 1877 Directory as deputy sheriff and gaoler, living on Brunswick Street in the gaol.