Andrew Lipsett, coachman

Lipsett

The lot east of the Beckwith lot, two graves in length, was owned by A. Lipsett. Claimer purchased this lot from Henry Chestnut in July 1872 for the sum of $6.00.

The first of the Lipsett family was brought from Ireland to his home in Lincoln by Lieutenant James Glenn, Royal Engineers, who helped to lay out Fredericton. The census records of 1851 and 1861 show an Andrew Lipsett, coachman, with his wife Elizabeth and five children. Andrew Lipsett is believed to be buried here.

Petitions, Journals of the House of Assembly, New Brunswick, 1854:

Andrew Lipsett of the City of Fredericton in the County of York praying legislative aid to enable him to establish and maintain a House of Entertainment on the Great Road leading from Fredericton to Richibucto.

Andrew Lipsett in 1863 served in the Militia with Major A. F. Street, Major H. A. Cropley, Mr. G. Barrett, and Mr. W. Lockhart. In the late 1870s and 1880s, Andrew Lipsett was the chief engineer of the fire department.