Archdeacon George Coster and family

Coster

In memory of George Coster, A.M. Rector of Fredericton and Archdeacon of New Brunswick, born November 29th, 1794, died January 9, 1859. Eleanor, his wife, and Maria, his sister.

A handsome stone, engraved on both sides, marks the deaths of the Archdeacon and his wife. A crypt at Christ Church Cathedral contains their mortal remains. Maria Coster (born 1787, died 3 February 1862) is buried here.

Born at Newbury, Berkshire, England, Archdeacon Coster came to Fredericton in 1829. His wife was Eleanor Hansard (born 1797, died 11 March 1863). They lived in the rectory on George Street, which later became the Limerick home.

Behind the rectory on Charlotte Street lived their only son, the Reverend Charles George Coster, who taught at the old Academy (Fredericton Collegiate School), which was first on Brunswick Street and then on George Street. He married Grace C. Holbrook, a daughter of the former headmaster. Rev. Charles Coster boarded some of the out-of-town boys in his home, the western ell of the house having been built to accommodate them.

Archdeacon Coster had eleven daughters, seven of whom married. Volume III of this work mistakenly named Gertrude Coster as the wife of Joseph Edmund Collins; Collins’ wife was Gertrude Anna, a daughter of Dr. Murphy.

McInnes and McBeath

McInnes

Miss R.M. McInnes claims a lot on the 3rd path from Allen Street in the new part. Bounded on the north by the Joseph Fleming lot, on the other three sides by walks, it being a corner, enclosed by granite posts, iron rods and chains. Marked by monuments to William McBeath, Sarah Moffat and others.

Two stones are enclosed by iron railings and chains with joining posts.

Sacred to the memory of Henry McPherson McBeath who departed this life 15 January, 1841, aged 19 months. Also Mary Allison McBeath who died 26th August, 1841, aged 25 days. Jesus said, "Suffer little children to come unto me and forbid them not for such is the Kingdom of God."

William McBeath born April 30, 1800, died June 30, 1882, and Sarah Moffat, wife of William McBeath died November 26th, 1875.

Footstones: "H.McP.B." and "M.A.MCB."

William McBeath was a prominent member of the Kirk, and the first insurance agent in Fredericton.

In memory of John McInnes, born in Argylshire, Scotland, June 1st, 1819, died Jan. 15, 1880, and his wife Jane, died 1833. Also John Campbell — John Archd. — Clara L. Alice — Jesse Campbell. Children of John and Jane McInnes.

Jane was the daughter of William and Sarah McBeath. Her husband, John McInnes, lived with the McBeaths when he came to Fredericton to take charge of the gas works. One son, Frank McInnes, was the Boston city engineer. Another son, Archibald, married Caroline, a daughter of George Babbit of Fredericton, and became a prominent engineer in New York.

Daily Telegraph, Saint John, NB, 20 January 1880:

Fredericton, Jan. 19 – The funeral of John McInnes which took place yesterday afternoon at 2 o’clock was largely attended. The pall bearers were John A. Morrison, Wm Anderson, F.A.H. Straton, Geo. F. Whelpley, Arthur Limerick and John Edwards. The remains were interred in the old burial ground.