Descendants of the Honourable and Reverend Jonathan Odell

Odell

Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth Ludlow, wife of George M. Odell, M.D., of Fredericton who died April 19, 1861 in the 35th year of her age. "Them that sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."

George Mountain Odell, M.D., died at Newport, Rhode Island, April 21, 1892 in the 75th year of his age. "I believe in the life everlasting."

Charles Odell, C.E., May 27, 1898. Sadie Odell, Dec. 3, 1910. Erected in loving memory of our dear father and mother.

These three tombstones are surrounded by a stone fence.

G.M. Odell at present at Newport State of Rhode Island claims a lot in the burying lot 18 x 24, situate in the north corner enclosed by a wooden fence set on stones. Purchased from Robert Wood about 1861.

The Honourable and Reverend Jonathan Odell came to New Brunswick in 1783 with the New England Loyalists. A clergyman of the Church of England, he was for many years the government Secretary of the Province. His only son, Hon. William Franklin Odell (1774-1844), also a Loyalist, had four sons: William Hunter, George Mountain, James, and Charles. The house in which they were born and brought up had been built by their grandfather, Rev. Jonathan Odell. Their father, William F. Odell, later built "Rookwood", and the original family home ultimately became a residence for the youngest son, Charles.

George Mountain Odell lived for some time in St. Mary’s on the Caleb Fowler farm, which his father subsequently bequeathed to him in 1844. In 1846 he bought a town house in Brunswick Street from Horatio Nelson Drake and married not long after.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 3 November 1847:

Married on Tuesday, the 26th ult. at St. Paul’s Church, Halifax, by the Rev. Dr. Twining, Chaplain of the Garrison, George Mountain Odell M.D., son of the late Hon. W.F. Odell of Fredericton, N.B., to Elizabeth Ludlow, daughter of D.L. Robinson, an uncle of Deputy Commissary General Robinson.

Dr. G.M. Odell married, secondly, Susan Philipse, daughter of Morris Robinson. She was a cousin of the Honourable F.P. Robinson. In 1865, Mrs. George Lee bequeathed to Susan P. Odell, her niece, wife of Dr. George M. Odell, £100, “also her work table and sofa table,” and a portrait of her father Morris Robinson. There is no inscription here in memory of Dr. Odell’s second wife.

New Brunswick Reporter, Fredericton, NB, 27 April 1892:

Intelligence of the death of Dr. Geo. M. Odell at Newport, R.I. last week was heard with sorrow by many of the old families in Fredericton whose physician and friend the deceased had been. Dr. Odell was for many years a leading physician here. His remains were brought to this city Monday and interred in the family enclosure in the old cemetery. The chief mourners were Capt. Odell, nephew of the deceased; Delancy Robinson, F.A.H. Straton and Geo. C. Hunt. Closely following these were all of the city physicians. The pall bearers were Sir John Allen, Judge Fraser, Lt. Col. Maunsell, Andrew Inches, E.H. Wilmot and J. Henry Phair. Capt. Odell was at the bedside for a couple of days before he died and accompanied the remains to the city. Rev. G.G. Roberts performed the last rites at the grave.

Charles Odell, born 16 August 1826, was twice married, first to Maynard Eliza Grange (born 1835) by whom he had two children, Florence Mary and George Grange. In 1867, Charles married, secondly, Sarah, daughter of John D. Kinnear, Judge of Probate for Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. They had five children. His eldest son, George Grange Odell, often visited his father from South America where he worked as an engineer. It is remembered that one of his parrots hid in the Cathedral and disrupted a Sunday service.

Their house, occupied for a hundred years or more by the Odell family, is now the Deanery. It is shown in the first town plat, the plan of which was made by Lieut. Dugald Campbell. Above each of the two upper rooms was a loft or sleeping quarter, entirely separate. The large iron rings bolted into the woodwork were probably placed there to chain deserters during one of the early periods of the movement of troops through Fredericton. Until 1844, this house with gardens, yards, stables, outhouses, together with land in rear, extended to Charlotte Street.

Henry, son of Rev. John Pearson

Pearson

Henry Francis Pearson, 1873 In Peace.

A handsome cruciform tomb lies in this plot, in memory of Henry Francis Pearson, died 13 February 1873, aged 11 years. He died in the scarlet fever epidemic and was the child of the Reverend John Pearson. In 1878, Rev. Pearson was buried here with his son.

The Fredericton census for 1871 lists John Pearson, 41, English, Clerk in Holy Orders, Church of England, with his wife, Fanny, 41, and three children: Frances L., 16, born in Nova Scotia; Henry F., 9; and Ellen M., 7 years. The younger two children were born in Newfoundland.

Records show that Rev. John Pearson was stationed in Newfoundland in the early 1860s. He was sub-dean of Christ Church Cathedral, Fredericton, from May 1864 to October 1875. A letter was published in a Saint John newspaper demanding to know why the sub-dean of the Cathedral was not appointed Rector of Fredericton to succeed Rev. Charles Lee who drowned in 1873. This appointment had fallen instead to the Reverend George Goodridge Roberts.

Miss Rachael Martin, teacher and eccentric

Martin

In memoriam Rachael Martin, Departed this life Aug 22nd, 1867. "She died Trusting in her Redeemer"

Rachael Martin was born in 1786 and died 22 August 1867. In 1935 her tombstone was found broken and lying on the ground. It has since been repaired and replaced but is now only partly legible.

Headquarters, Fredericton, NB, 28 August 1867:

Died at her residence in Fredericton, on 22nd August, Rachel Martin, daughter of the late Dr. Martin, for many years a respected teacher of this place. She died trusting in the merits of her Redeemer.

On Friday last might have been seen a small, serious if not sad, party, winding its way towards St. Anne’s Church, headed by its worthy rector, Rev. Mr. Lee. Next followed a hearse containing all that was mortal of Miss Rachel Martin. Half a century ago, to her was entrusted the care of educating the greater part of the present heads of the oldest families of this town. Her poetical effusions also will long be remembered "in both houses." Great age (the supposition is, for no one could find out with accuracy, over ninety) and suffering had of late years added much to her extreme eccentricity, but her wonderful reliance on herself and her Maker made up for the infirmities to which all are subject, therefore "nothing extenuate or set down ought in malice". There was more to admire than censure in this teacher of over two thousand souls. The pains of her passing away were greatly relieved by the indefatigable care of the wife of Dr. Cougle, who, ever ready to watch by the sufferer’s bedside, devoted day and night to that Christian purpose, assisted by another lady (Mrs. Vail) now on a visit to our town.

Rachael Martin’s father, the Reverend Dr. John Martin (1748-1832), was a surgeon and Presbyterian minister from Ireland who emigrated first to the United States. About 1776, he married Abigail Denison (1751-1829) who had also come from the United States. Both are buried in Sussex Corner, New Brunswick. Rachael had several siblings: Abigail, who died young, Lavinia and John, both of whom married members of the Graves family, Malka, who married a Colonel Cougal, and Mary, who married a Leggatt.

Dr. Arthur W.H. Eaton’s 1910 History of Kings County, Nova Scotia says that Rachael Martin "kept a notable school for girls in Kentville… and had much influence on the minds and manners of the Kentville young women…. She had the floor of her school room chalked, and her pupils were literally obliged to ‘toe the mark’."

In 1822 a Sunday school for black children was established that lasted for at least 2 years and was taught by Rachael Martin, who was the supervisor of the Madras school in Fredericton. In the 1850s she was a teacher in Fredericton and was reputed to be a good one.

Journals of the House of Assembly, New Brunswick, 29 January 1853:

Mr. Partelow, by leave presented a petition from Rachel Martin, an instructress of youth, setting forth her long and faithful services and the inestimable benefit she has for a period of twenty-six years, rendered to the Province in that capacity, praying compensation therefore; which he read… it was decided in the negative.

Miss Martin’s address on 25 October 1861 was a welcome to the new governor, His Excellency the Honourable Arthur Gordon — to the tune of "Auld Lang Syne": "Hail Gordon of illustrious race, The Pride of Aberdeen — With smiles we meet thy noble face and thank our gracious Queen. Hail Gordon — our hearts o’er flow with Loyalty’s high tide…" and continued for many verses.

Her Fredericton home was on Waterloo Row and it is thought that the back end is now [the carriage house behind] the Carriage House Inn, University Avenue.