Frederick A. Adams, lumberman

Adams

Erected to the memory of Hannah M., the beloved wife of Frederick A. Adams, died July 28th, 1865 age 21 years. "Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord."

In Memory of Frederick A. Adams, died October 6th, 1886, aged 57 years. A small token of affection by a bereaved wife to a tender and affectionate husband.

Lot #90.  In this lot, 6 x 14 feet, is buried Frederick A. Adams, lumberer, who lived for a time in King Street near Northumberland Street. His second wife may be buried beside him in an unmarked grave.

Colonial Farmer, Fredericton, NB, 14 December 1863:

m. New Maryland (York Co.) 9th inst, at residence of bride’s father, by Rev. Dr. Hurd, Frederick A. ADAMS / Hannah Maria third d/o P. NASON.

The Fredericton Evening Capital, Fredericton, NB, 9 October 1886:

Frederick ADAMS of New Maryland (York Co.), was sitting between Myers SMITH and William PHILLIPS in the house of the latter at New Maryland on Wednesday eve. when Mr. Adams got up apparently to go towards the door. Mr. Phillips, noticing him stagger went to his assistance, when he fell and died in Mr. Phillip’s arms. It is supposed that the deceased, aged about 50 years, was a victim of heart disease.

The 1881 census for New Maryland, York County near Fredericton, shows Frederick Adams, aged 50, his wife Amanda J., and two children: Ella M., 15; and Alberta V., aged nine.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 7 April 1888:

m. Methodist Parsonage, Fredericton, by Rev. W. Dobson, 24th Jan., Azor S. NASON, New Maryland (York Co.) / Miss Ella M. ADAMS, same place.

At the time of the 1891 census, Ella Maria and Asor Nason had two children, two-year-old Frederick and the infant Gertude, and the widow Amanda lived with the family in New Maryland.

F.A. Adams now deceased claimed a lot 6 feet of ground in the NEW TIER NEAR ALLEN ST marked by a monument to claimers wife Anne Marie [sic] Adams, also marked by granite post at each corner. This lot was purchased by Mr. Adams from Henry Chestnut in 1865.

William Davidson and William Watts

Davidson

To the Memory of William Davidson who died May 19th, 1818, ae 25 years. Also, his wife, Mary, died May 23rd, 1858, ae 74 years.

In Memory of Lydia Ann, wife of Dr. J.C. Hurd, died 2nd February, 1864 in the 32nd year of her age.

Footstone: "L.A.H."

Lydia was a niece of William Davidson and Mary Watts, who were Methodists. Her husband, Dr. James C. Hurd, was a medical doctor as well as a Baptist preacher.

William Davidson was buried in 1818 in what was then a far corner of the park. The plots, then, were consecrated individually. The monument, inscribed to the memory of William and his wife, was erected after her death. There were only two monuments in this plot in 1856 but several graves. The plot is shared by Davidson and Watts.

The Christ Church Baptismal Record shows a daughter, Lavinia Jean, born 15 March 1817, to William and Mary Davidson. The census of 1851 indicates that Mary Davidson, 60, and her daughter Lavinia, 31, were lodgers in the home of Martin Lemont. In 1871, Lavinia, milliner, was a lodger in the home of John Barrett.

William Watts 1793-1865

William Watts was the son of William Watts, Loyalist. He was a cabinet maker like his father, a city assessor, and a gardener. Ann (1794-1840) was his first wife, by whom he had six children: Elizabeth (born 1814), William Watts, Jr. (1816-1854), Jane (born 1818), Reuben (born 1823), Samuel (born 1837), and James (born 1831).

Catherine Davidson (born 1808) was the second wife of William Watts, and the aunt of Lavinia Jean Davidson [sister to Lavinia’s father, William Davidson]. The 1861 census lists the household of William Watts, 68, gardener; Catherine, 53; Anna, 17; twins Mary and Herbert, 12; and Lavinia Davidson, niece.

When Hon. George Sproule, the first Surveyor General of New Brunswick, died in 1817, pasture lands leased from the College were redeemed and sold as lots. They began at George Street and extended southwest along the westerly side of the Maryland Road. Twenty acres, running twenty-two chains along the Maryland Road, became for some thirty years the noted market garden of Mr. William Watts, "florist." It was entirely under cultivation. He was the Vice President of the York Agricultural Society and won many prizes, as did his wife, Catherine, for her pickles and preserves. In May 1845, he was granted a patent on the "Watts Potato Digger."

"The Rookery" at 751 Brunswick Street was the home of his son, William Watts, Jr., barrister.

See also The Old Burying Ground, Vol. I, p. 179.