Mrs. Margaret Doak claims lot #10, 8 x 10 NEW PART bounded NORTH by Thomas Stewart’s lot, WEST by a wooden paling — This lot enclosed by a wooden fence and is marked by a monument to MRS. WILLIAM TUFTS. This lot purchased from Henry Chestnut in 1861, he then being secretary of the citizens committee.
In 1886 there were seven graves in this lot, marked "W. Tufts" on the plan. A high square stone marks the graves.
In memory of Andrew Doak, 1836-1871, also his wife Margaret, 1837-1906.
Joseph S. 1867-1873, Rebecca, 1861-1880, Margaret J., 1863-1882, children of A. and M. Doak.
In memory of Isabella, wife of William Tufts, died March 26, 1865 aged 26 years. Also their daughter Isabella J. died May 21, 1865.
Andrew Doak was a millman. He lived at the eastern end of Fredericton on the Doak Road. John Doak, his father, was a farmer. All members of John Doak’s family were born in Ireland, except his youngest son, John.
Two unmarried sisters of Andrew Doak, Sarah Jane, aged 32, milliner, and Mary Ann, 23, were living together in Fredericton in 1861. They are thought to be buried here, as well as Margaret Doak’s older sister, Ann Hood, who was one of Andrew’s household. In 1871, Margaret was widowed leaving her with a family of four daughters: Rebecca, 10; Margaret, 8; Isabella, 6; and Alice, one year.
Isabella, buried here with her child, was the first wife of William Tufts and sister to Andrew Doak. William Tufts was a shoemaker on Queen Street. He lived in Westmorland Street. In 1878 he is described as a Boot and Shoe Manufacturer. In 1867, William Tufts married, secondly, Mary, a daughter of Robert Wallace and his wife Mary Strachan. They lived in Marysville where he died and was buried. His widow is buried with her parents in an unmarked grave elsewhere in this burial ground.