Adams, Beckwith, Grigor, and Hart

Hart / Hartt

George Henry Hart born 1796 – 1877

Julia Catherine Hart born 10 March 1796 – 20 Nov. 1867

Marvin F. Hart born 1823 – 1902

Jane Hart born 1826 – 25 May 1865

Mary Grigor born [?] – Feb. 12, 1903

John Burnside Beckwith infant 1872

Harriet Augusta Beckwith born 1868 – April, 1872

William Adams [?] – 1851

Jane Adams [?] – 1861

Anne [?] – 1861

Charles [?] – 1868

James born 1849 – 1891

Beginning at George Street the first lot, 14 x 16 feet, was originally enclosed within an ornamental iron fence, with two gates, beautifully intact in 1955. Upon one gate was impressed “F. Marvin Hart, 1865.” This lot was owned by both the Hart and Adams families. It is quite likely that at least twelve bodies lie buried here. There were several monuments, some of each family.

Jackson Adams was a prosperous undertaker with a furniture business in Court House Square. Jackson Adams claimed one half of this lot in 1886, and his relatives are buried in that half on George Street. His wife was Elizabeth.

John, the father of Jackson Adams, born in Paisley, Scotland, had run away from home as a young man. John Adams came from a fine family, related to John Quincy Adams, a President of the United States. He was employed at Limavady, Northern Ireland, by a Mr. Jackson as gardener and groom. He drove the dog cart, the passenger and driver sitting back to back. Margaret Jackson, the daughter, fell in love with him and they eloped in 1822. Their eldest child, Jackson, was born 18 April 1824, at sea.

The remainder of the lot belonged to the Honourable J.A. Beckwith, the lot having been purchased by him in 1866.

It is puzzling that an official certificate of ownership was issued to F. Marvin Hart in August 1866. It was “purchased from Henry Chestnut by the Claimer. A receipt is held for payment.” In 1865, Marvin Hart buried his young wife, Jane Elizabeth Grigor, here. She was a granddaughter of Dr. Charles Earle who is buried elsewhere in the graveyard.

The two Beckwith children buried here are the grandchildren of the Hon. John A. Beckwith.

The Honourable John A. Beckwith descended paternally from the family of Beckwith, Norwich, England, and maternally from C.L. Le Brun de du Plessis, a relative of Armand du Plessis, Cardinal duc de Richelieu.

Born at Fredericton on 1 December 1800, John A. Beckwith was educated there and at Toronto, Montreal, and Windsor, Nova Scotia. He married, first, Annie L. Jouett, and secondly Maria A. Berton, both of Fredericton. He was a Mayor of Fredericton, Deputy Commissioner of Crown Lands and Surveyor General, Chairman of the Provincial Board of Agriculture, Director of the Quebec and New Brunswick Railway, and Major, 1st Battalion York County Militia. He was a member of the Executive Council and Provincial Secretary and Registrar (1867-1871). He sat for York County in the New Brunswick Assembly (1866-1874), when called to the Legislative Council.

F. Marvin Hart was a nephew of John A. Beckwith. He was a son of George Henry Hart and his wife Julia Catherine Beckwith Hart, Canada’s first published novelist.

Julia C. Beckwith was a daughter of Nehemiah Beckwith, a trader of Maugerville, who was drowned near Sheffield in 1818. Her mother was Julie-Louise Le Brun de Duplessis, daughter of Jean Baptiste Le Brun de Duplessis, one of Montcalm’s staff. She was brought to Fredericton as governess to Governor Carleton’s children. Julia was born in Fredericton in 1796 and spent much of her early life visiting her father’s relatives in Cornwallis Valley, Nova Scotia, and travelling by canoe along the St. John River to her mother’s relatives in Quebec. It was on one of these trips that she began her literary career with St. Ursula’s Convent, a story based on the experiences of a relative with the nuns. Following the death of her husband, Nehemiah, Julie-Louise took her family to Montreal and Kingston where they visited her relatives, returning after five or six years.

In Kingston, on 3 January 1822, Julia Catherine Beckwith married George Henry Hart, a bookbinder, and they resided there for a time. She completed her first novel. St. Ursula’s Convent; or, the Nun of Canada, Containing Scenes from Real Life (Kingston, Upper Canada, printed by Hugh C. Thomson, 1824, Boards, 2 Vols.) was published in Toronto. Four copies are known to exist: one in the Toronto Public Library, one in the Congressional Library, and two in the library of the University of New Brunswick. A second novel, Tonnawanda; or The Adopted Son of America, An Indian Story (Rochester, New York), was published sometime between 1826 and 1831. About 1826 the Harts moved to Rochester, New York, and in 1831 to Fredericton where Julia resided the rest of her life. George Henry Hart, her husband, was employed in the Crown Land Department. For many years she contributed to The Reporter.

George and Julia Hart had a family of seven children: Adolphus; Nehemiah Beckwith; James; F. Marvin, buried here; Charles L.; Julia, born in Fredericton 1838; and Theodore, born 1840.

F. Marvin Hart married Jane Elizabeth Grigor. The couple had two children: a son, Grigor Jonff, and a daughter, Marianne. They lived in the James Grigor “cottage,” the second house east of St. Dunstan’s Church, which survived a terrible fire in 1850. It was estimated that three hundred buildings were burned. Owing to the frantic exertions of the parishioners, the Church and this small cottage were saved. In 1862, F. Marvin Hart opened a clothing store, The Bee Hive, and operated it for half a century. According to Cathedral records, Jane Grigor Hart died in May 1865 aged 39. Late in the century, Marvin, then an old man, moved to Saint John where he lived out the rest of his life with his wife’s sister, Mary Grigor.

Herald, Fredericton, NB, 13 February 1903:

Miss Mary Grigor, a sister of the late Mrs. Hart (Jane) died in St. John yesterday at the home of her niece Mrs. Frank H. White. The remains will arrive here tomorrow morning, and will be interred in the old burying ground.

Asa Coy and son, druggists: “Leeches, Leeches, Leeches”

Coy

In Memory of

Mary Ann Coy

Asa Coy

Sarah Coy

Holly Coy

This stone is engraved with "Dear Father and Mother 1885" on the face and one name on each side of its base. The lot was once enclosed by an iron fence with stone posts.

Mollie died July 16, 1876, ae 5 months.

Mollie was a granddaughter of Asa Coy, a child of his daughter Sarah who married J. Henry Phair.

Asa Coy was born in Gagetown in 1799, son of Amasa Coy (1757-1838) and his first wife Elizabeth Holly. He came to Fredericton from Maugerville with his father and was brought up in Fredericton, where he lived out his days. He had two sisters, Sarah Smith and Rebecca Bunnell Simpson, and two stepbrothers, John S. Coy (born 1812) and Amasa P. Coy (born 1815).

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 3 August 1824:

Married by the Rev. George Best, Thomas B. Smith, of Burton, to Sarah, eldest daughter of Mr. Amasa Coy.

Asa married Mary Ann (1805 – 1884) in Fredericton on 29 March 1825, the daughter of Jarvis Ring (born 1781) and his wife, Sarah Hartt of Canning. Asa Coy was a licensed auctioneer and prosperous. The Coy block, where the family lived above the shop, is on the southeast corner of Queen and Regent Streets. The family was Calvinist Baptist, like all early Maugerville settlers. A portrait of Asa and Mary Ann Coy is in the York-Sunbury Historical Society Museum.

In 1836, Asa Coy was Vice President of the Union Fire Club. In 1837 he was treasurer of the New Brunswick Baptist Education Society. In 1838, he founded the Bank of Fredericton, of which he was President. In the general election of 1843, Asa Coy was a candidate in York County but was defeated. In 1847, he set up his son, Asa Holly, as a druggist. "LEECHES LEECHES LEECHES — Asa Coy and Son Druggists," read the sign. Asa Coy was the paymaster of the New Brunswick Yeomanry Cavalry for many years, appointed in 1849. In 1850 he was appointed Receiver of Crown Debts and later Secretary of the Board of Works.

The children of Asa and Mary Ann Coy were Asa Holly (born 25 May 1827), Caroline Ring (born 6 May 1829), Sarah Elizabeth (b. 22 March 1831), Mary Ann (born 1 November 1832), Fanny Rebecca (born 29 April 1835), Harriet Amelia (born 12 September 1837), Fanny Rebecca Simpson (born 14 January 1840), George Frederick (born 9 January 1844), and Amasa Simpson (born 19 April 1846).

Three daughters of Asa Coy died in infancy. It is not known where these children are buried.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 16 March 1836:

Died on Monday morning last, Frances Rebecca, infant daughter of Mr. Asa Coy, aged 10 months.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 25 October 1848:

Died on the 12th instant, 1848, Harriet Amelia, fourth daughter of Asa Coy, Esq. aged 11 years and 1 month. Remarkable from her earliest childhood for her gentleness, amiability and thoughtfulness of disposition, she exhibited in the severe and protracted illness that preceded her death. Also, on the 25th instant Fanny Rebecca, fifth daughter of Asa Coy, ae 8 years and nine months.

Asa Coy’s eldest daughter, Caroline Ring, married Levi Waterhouse, Saint John, and they had one child, Ann. Mary Ann married William Watts, florist, Fredericton, who very comfortably provided for her.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 29 October 1851:

Married at Saint John, on Thursday Morning last, in Trinity Church, by the Reverend Alexander Stewart, Mr. A.H. Coy, Druggist of Fredericton, to Mary Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Stephen K. Foster, Esquire of that City.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 13 March 1850:

Married, at the Cathedral Church, Fredericton, on Wednesday, the 6th inst. by the Venerable the Archdeacon [Coster], J. Henry Phair, Esq. to Sarah Elizabeth, second daughter of Asa Coy, Esq., of the City.

This marriage proved not to be a happy one.

In 1861, Asa and Mary Ann Coy had their daughter Sarah Phair living with them and their grandson, Edwin, age 10. Asa Coy was then Secretary of the Board of Works, Queen and Regent Streets., and his son, Asa Holly Coy, was clerk of the Board of Works.

Asa Coy died in 1874.

J. Henry Phair as agent for his wife and Mrs. Caroline Waterhouse claims this lot enclosed with iron and post chains, marked by a monument to the late Asa Coy. This lot was formerly purchased from Henry Chestnut.

J. Henry Phair was a barrister and Fishery Commissioner. He was a keen sportsman, of an artistic nature, very personable. He several times went on fishing trips in New Brunswick with Teddy Roosevelt, President of the United States, of whom he was a great admirer. In 1891, J. Henry Phair was appointed Clerk of the Legislative Council. This Council met for the last time in 1892 but the salary of the Clerk continued for his lifetime.

Asa Coy, 31 March 1846 — “My Grandfather’s Family on my Father’s Side":

Sarah — Mrs. Plummer, first child. Died several years ago at the Nashwaak leaving several children and a numerous progeny of grandchildren.

Amasa — Born in Connecticut then a British colony, 24 July 1757. Married at Gagetown, 1797 or 1798 to Elizabeth Holly. Three children Asa, Sarah Smith and Rebecca Simpson. Married the Widow Smith in Burton in ? Two children, Johnny and Amasa, who died in Burton. Amasa and Elizabeth Holly were my parents. He died at Fredericton July 18, 1838.

Asa — Third child. Died before marriage, smallpox.

Edward — Still alive, lives in Canning, Queen’s County. Several children

Hannah — Mrs. Cromwell, died four or five years ago at Burton. Four children. She was the first English girl born on the St. John River

John — died many years ago at the Nashwaak. Several children

Rebecca — Mrs. Bunnell. Died in Fredericton 1846. Left no issue.

Levine — Mrs. Turney. Died several years ago at Swan Creek. Left several children

Mary — Mrs. Morris now Mrs. Bradley. Never had any children.

David — lives at Gagetown. Several children

Benjamin — Also lives at Gagetown. Several Children. Is an ordained minister in connection with the Baptist Association of this Province.

Anna Marie Gordon, infant

Gordon

Anna Marie, infant daughter of Edward F. Gordon and Albenia (nee Hart) died Oct. 15th 1851, aged one month and 15 days.

Edward Francis Gordon was born 2 December 1826 in Fort Lawrence, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. He married Albina Maria, daughter of George W. Hartt of Fredericton, on 12 April 1853. Edward Gordon died of consumption on 24 November 1857 in Chicago, and is believed to be buried here. His widow married Daniel McNally in Fredericton on 27 November 1878.

From the Old Burying Ground records, City of Fredericton:

Mrs. D. McNally as heir of her former husband claims a lot near G. F. Anderson, #31 and George Mitchell, #28 lots. Claimed by possession of over twenty years.

Mrs. D. McNally, on behalf of her sister Mrs. John Wiley and brothers Charles S. and George Whitfield Hart claims a lot situate in old part below the Minchin lot [Section E]. Enclosed with stone posts and mark by monuments to claimers’ father and his two wives. Claimed by possession of over thirty years.

See also The Old Burying Ground, Vol. III, p. 67.