The family of George Harding, Maugerville Loyalist

Harding

John Harding, born March 1st, 1774, died January 9th, 1866

Sarah Harding, born April 29th, 1776, died August 5th, 1858

John Harding in 1851 was a farmer and his three-storey house was the largest in St. Mary’s. He was very well off and acquired a great deal of property. In 1851 he and his wife, Sarah Barker, were living alone.

John Harding was brought to New Brunswick by his father, George Harding (c.1744-1808), Loyalist. In 1783 George Harding purchased Lot 74 in Maugerville from Samuel and Sarah Bridges, and he was listed in the Sunbury County Poll Book, 1795, with home and freehold in Maugerville. Mrs. Harding, "consort of George Harding," died in 1795.

George Harding deeded his slave Sippeo to his son John, "to be his property and his heirs and successors during the life of the said negro…." The indenture was dated 1784 and signed in 1802 by the Justice of the Peace at Maugerville, Elijah Miles. This interesting document was given to the Legislative Library, Fredericton and is framed. John Harding willed his slaves to his sister, Elizabeth, the second wife of the Loyalist Captain Elijah Miles. Sippeo became the verger of Christ Church, Maugerville.

The names George, John, and William appear frequently in the various branches of the Harding family, who came from Derry, Ireland by way of Newburgh, New York,. Another George Harding, 1770-1843, settled near Saint John and married Jane Spragg (or Sprague) at Belleisle, NB. He was the son of Capt. William Harding (1745-1818), who is buried at the Loyalist Cemetery, Saint John, and his wife, Leah Sarah Gillies. William Harding seems to have been the brother of the George Harding who settled in Maugerville.

Jonathan George Harding in 1846 was a cabinetmaker. Payments for work done while renovating the Assembly Room (Journals of the House of Assembly, 1846) included: J.G. Harding, for making tables for the Assembly Room; Thomas Armstrong, for making carpet; Thomas Aiken, cutting and laying down carpet repairing desks; T.C. Everett, stove and pipe; Thomas Stewart, coal scuttles; Spafford Barker, firearms; William Morgan, grates for the Assembly Room; and Justin Spahnn, repairing clock and care thereof.

Captain James John Dudgeon, 22nd Regiment

Dudgeon

Sacred to the memory of Capt. James J. Dudgeon, 1st Batt. 22nd Regiment who died at Fredericton January 3rd 1867 aged 38 years. This tablet was erected by his fellow officers.

Footstone: “M.D.”

This lot is fenced with an iron rail, looped chain and stone posts. The iron tassels have been removed. The footstone in this plot is misplaced. It might better be placed at the grave of Margaret Doak, two tiers away.

Captain James John Dudgeon was paymaster of the 22nd Regiment, stationed in Fredericton at the time of Confederation. He and Colonel F.P. Harding, C.B. 22nd Regiment, who commanded Her Majesty’s Troops in New Brunswick, were brother officers.

The burial record at the Cathedral reads "James John Dudgeon, Jan. 5, 1867. 37 years." Only six months prior to the death of Captain Dudgeon, Bishop Medley had christened Frederick Annesley (1866-1943), infant son of James John and Elizabeth Maria Dudgeon. Mr. George T. Taylor, the artist and pioneer photographer, photographed the graveside ceremony during the firing of the salute at Captain Dudgeon’s funeral.

Three men named John Lothrop Marsh

Marsh

Lot #182. This double lot was purchased by John Lothrop Marsh III, Police Magistrate, in 1859. He and his wife, Hester, are buried here with his parents, John Lothrop Marsh, Jr. and Sophia Miriam Beckwith, and his sisters, Julia and Sophia. Also here are the two children of Sophia and her husband Laughlan McLean. The grandparents of the police magistrate, John Lothrop Marsh and his wife Sarah Estabrooks, are buried in this graveyard and may be buried in this lot.

John L. Marsh, born 12 July 1758, died 3 May 1859. His wife, Sarah Estabrooks, born 10 October 1764, died 2 January 1844 aged 80.

John Lothrop Marsh, born 12 July 1796, died 1853. His wife, Sophie Miriam Beckwith, born [?], died 1851.

John Lothrop Marsh, born 22 January 1830, died 1914. His wife, Hester Frink, born 1839, died 1917 aged 78.

Only the small stone to the two children marks the Marsh lot today:

In memory of John L. Marsh, d. Dec. 13, 1856, ae 11 months, 21 days. Sophia Marion Beckwith, d. May 25, 1862, ae 2 years and 4 months.

Johnnie and Minnie, children of Lauchlan and Sophia L. McLean.

There is another little hand /To Heaven’s sweet harp and strings given /Another gentle seraph’s voice /Another star in heaven.

The first John Lothrop Marsh here was a Loyalist, born in Fairfield, Connecticut, the son of Simeon Marsh and Eunice Lothrop. His sisters were Elizabeth, who married Lt. Leonard Reed in 1793, and Sarah, who married Valentine Harding in 1795. His brothers were Solomon and Ebenezer, who went to Upper Canada in 1782 to live, and the Reverend Thomas Marsh, a missionary to Tennessee.

John Lothrop Marsh, the Loyalist, came to New Brunswick in 1783. In 1790 he married, in Canning, Sarah, daughter of Elijah Estabrooks of Cornwallis, Nova Scotia. Their children were Thomas Lothrop (born 1791), Elizabeth (born 1793), Charles William (born 1794), John Lothrop (born 1796), Elijah (born 1799), and George (born 1802).

John Lothrop Marsh, the son, in 1824 married Sophia Miriam Beckwith, a daughter of Nehemiah Beckwith and Julie-Louise Le Brun de Duplessis. Sophia was a sister of the Honourable John A. Beckwith and of the author Julia Beckwith Hart who is buried elsewhere in this burial ground. She was living in Kingston with her widowed mother, who, upon the death of Nehemiah, had taken her family there, probably to join her widowed sister, Elizabeth, Madame Antoine Ferland.

New Brunswick Royal Gazette, 23 November 1824:

Married at Quebec, on Sunday the 10th ult. by the Rev. Doctor Mountain, Mr. John Lothrop Marsh, of Wakefield, N.B. to Miss Sophia Beckwith, of Kingston, Upper Canada.

The census for 1851 lists John L. Marsh, merchant, 50, living with his children: Amelia, 23; John L., 21; Sophia, 18; Julia, 16; Arthur, 13; and Sarah, 10. His wife’s residence at the time of the census is not known.

John Lothrop Marsh [III] was admitted to the Bar of New Brunswick in 1854 and was a partner of the firm Marsh and Beckwith. He married Hester C. Frink, eldest daughter of S.P. Frink, in 1859. He and his sister Julia were the executors of their father’s will in 1871.

Julia Louise Le Brun Marsh married Edward John Russell, artist and illustrator, who was employed before his marriage as a bookkeeper at the Beckwith & Marsh lumber mill. She died in 1880, survived by her husband, five sons, and a daughter.

Sophia Le Brun Marsh, the second sister of John Lothrop Marsh, married Lauchlan McLean, a merchant, the son of a Scottish settler at Grand Lake. A few years after their marriage, the couple moved to Saint John. Besides the two buried here, their children were Hugh Havelock (born 22 March 1854), Arthur B. (born 1857), Charles Herbert, and Maud. Their eldest son, Major General Hugh Havelock McLean, was Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick 1928-1935.

Census, Fredericton, NB, 1871:

John L. MARSH, 42, b. NB, Lawyer, Wesleyan Methodist

Hester, 32, b. NB, Wesleyan Methodist

Hugh McLEAN, 17, b. NB, Student, Wesleyan Methodist

Eliza PETERS, 23, b. NB, Servant, Maid, African.

On 1 May 1871, an Act was passed "Relating to the Police Establishment in the City of Fredericton," regulating the office of the Police Magistrate. John Marsh was appointed to that position, to receive an annual salary not exceeding $400. He was empowered to appoint a police force, a staff of able men, not exceeding three. Included was a caution about the taverns of the town: a section of the Act stated that if a tavern keeper harboured or entertained any policeman on duty, he could be fined or have his license cancelled by the magistrate. Forty-two years later, on his 84th birthday, John Lothrop Marsh was still holding that office.

In 1871, John Marsh was appointed Lieutenant Colonel of the 71st York Battalion of Infantry, and was still in command in 1885. He lived at 690 George Street. He is described as very dapper, immaculately turned out. He always wore a frock coat to the Sunday services at the Cathedral. In 1881 census shows John Marsh, Police Magistrate, living with his wife, Hester, and two daughters: Florence L., 9, and Mary Sophie (born 1874), aged 6.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 2 August 1882:

PROCLAMATION

Whereas some person or persons did on the night of the thirty-first of July last make a felonious assault with firearms upon John L. Marsh, Esquire, Police Magistrate, at his residence in Fredericton: I do therefore publish this Proclamation and do hereby offer a Reward of Two Hundred Dollars for such information as will secure the conviction of the person or persons guilty of said offence.

Given under my Hand and Seal at Fredericton, the second day of August, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty-two, and in the forty-sixth year of Her Majesty’s Reign. — By Command of the Lieutenant Governor P.A. Landry

George Claxton Hunt, sea captain

Hunt

Lot #101 was jointly owned by the Hunt and Smithson families. There are six tombstones in the lot, and seven graves. Capt. George C. Hunt and his daughter Mary are buried here; also his son, George Claxton Hunt, with his wife and five of their daughters.

In memory of Mary, only daughter of George Claxton and Philena Hunt, born at St. John, N.B., March 7th, 1825, died in Fredericton August 1st, 1864, ae 39 years

George C. Hunt (1799-1878) was an English sea captain living in Saint John. When his wife Philena (Robinson) died in 1852, he and his daughter Mary moved to Fredericton where he worked as a clerk.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 26 April 1852:

Died, suddenly at Bath, Me. on Wednesday the 14th inst. Mrs. Philena Hunt, wife of Capt. George Hunt, and late of this city.

Captain Hunt’s second marriage was to Sophia Augusta Harding (c.1828- 1890), granddaughter of G. Buchanan, tinsmith, and Theodore H. Harding. This was a Baptist family. The Hunt home was on the west side of Regent Street.

His son, George Claxton Hunt was a druggist, "chemist and apothecary Queen St." for many years. He married Anna Maria Perley, a sister of Louise Perley, Mrs. W.H. Smithson. This family was Church of England.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 19 January 1857:

Married, on the evening of the 14th inst. by the Rev. S.D. Lee Street, Rector of Woodstock, at the residence of the bride’s father, Mr. George Hunt, of the firm of Chandler & Hunt, Fredericton, to Ann Maria, eldest daughter of Charles Perley, Esq. M.P.P. of Woodstock.

Telegraph-Journal, Saint John, NB, 30 June 1927:

HUNT AND MACDONALD, Fredericton. This firm has been in business as dispensing chemists since 1852 the business being founded in that year as Chandler and Hunt. Later the business was carried on by George C. Hunt, following which the name of the firm was changed to Hunt and MacDonald and is now carried on by Miss Ella P. Hunt.

One stone is inscribed "HUNT 1870" and bears the names of three of George and Ann Maria’s daughters.

Bertha (Isabella) d. Aug. 31st, 1864 ae 10 months

Maggie B d. Sept. 1860 ae 7 months

Ella Perley Hunt entered into rest July 5, 1930 ae 71

On the reverse is inscribed:

IHS Anna Maria beloved wife of George Claxton Hunt, d March 15, 1900 ae 70 years.

IHS George Claxton Hunt entered into rest Aug. 8, 1911, ae 84 years.

There is also a stone to two other daughters, Gertrude Annie (1866-1943) and Mary L. (born 1858).

The Fredericton census for 1881 lists George C. Hunt, 53, and Annie M., 52, living with four daughters: Mary L., 22; Ella P., 20; Gertrude A. 14; and Bessie L. aged 13. In 1901 the widower George Hunt was living with Ella Perley Hunt, his unmarried daughter.