Hodge and Haines

Hodge

In memory of William Hodge, died 22nd April 1849 ae 65 years. Also his wife Sarah, died 18th Jan. 1861, ae 72 years.

IHS HAINES William Haines died July 10, 1876, ae 49 years.

This lot was originally fenced with stone posts and iron rail.

John Hodge claims an interest on behalf of his sisters Jane Haines and Esther Hodge and his brothers, Samuel and William Hodge in a lot in the B. Ground, situate on George St. side. Size about 16 feet square. Marked by a stone monument to the memory of his father the late William Hodge. This lot was purchased or procured from Joseph Hill about the year 1861.

William Hodge was a carpenter, and both he and his wife were of Irish descent. Their children were James (born 1825), Thomas (born 1830), John (born 1831), William, (born 1833), Jane (born 1835), and Esther (born 1837). William Haines, a nephew, also lived with the family.

James, the eldest son, was a general agent whose son, George W., was a well-known wholesale grocer and staunch Presbyterian. Jane married William Haines, who was a trader or seaman. Esther remained unmarried and lived with her bachelor brother, John.

In 1871, John and Esther shared their home with their sister Jane, Mrs. William Haines, and her six children while her husband was in China. The Haines children were William, 18, a carpenter with his uncle, John Hodge, at that time; Louisa, 16; Anna, 14; Sarah, 11; George, 8; and John, 6. Sarah Haines was named after her grandmother Hodge. In later years, her talents as a storyteller were in great demand at entertainments and concerts.

William Haines is buried in the Hodge family plot. It is thought that his wife Jane may also be buried here.

John L. Haines and family

Haines

This burial lot is shared by the Haines and Nason families and contains two stones.

In memory of Marianne, only daughter of John L. and Phoebe Haines, died 13th Sept. 1868, aged 15 years. Also their only son, James, died 24th March, 1856, aged 4 years.

In memory of William Haines, died July l0th, 1876, aged 49 years.

The Haines stone is four-sided but inscribed on the east side only.

Joseph and Peter Haines of the New York Volunteers had land grants in the Upper Keswick area.

The Saint John Morning News of 7 January 1852 notes that John L. Haines and Miss Phoebe Nason were married "on the 18th ult." by Rev. S. Elder, all residents of Fredericton. According to the New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66, John L. Haines, carpenter and builder, lived on St. John Street near George. He was the contractor who built the Free Baptist Church, dedicated on 29 December 1861. At the time of his daughter’s death, John L. Haines was an alderman in Queen’s Ward, Fredericton.

The relationship of William Haines to John L. Haines is not certain. The census of 1871 shows a William Haines, farm labourer, lodging with William Day and his wife Elizabeth.

In memory of Florence B. Nason, died Oct. 14, 1876, aged 17 years.

The present stone, of coral marble, retains the old base and the top inscribed with the name Nason.

John and Lemuel Nason were the original grantees of Nasonworth, York County. The Morning News of 25 June 1851 announced the marriage of Mr. Lemuel Nason on 14 June 1851 to Martha, second daughter of Mr. James Bailey of Sheffield. According to the census of 1861, Lemuel Nason was born in 1826. He was a joiner, George St. near Church Street. Lemuel Nason and his wife had three sons, Pembroke, Frederick and Herbert, and one daughter, Florence. His sister Ann married Israel Phillips of Blissville in December 1851. He was 58 when he died on 22 April 1885. He was a Methodist.  John and Lemuel Nason are not known to be buried in the Old Burying Ground.