John Elliot Woolford, artist and architect

Woolford

In memory of J. E. Woolford, Esq., late Barrack Master, Fredericton, died 12th Jan. 1866, aged 88 years.

In memory of Margaret, wife of J. E. Woolford, Esq.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 6 February 1833:

Died on Wednesday morning last, the 30th ult., Mrs. Margaret Fullerton, wife of J. E. Woolford, Esquire, Barrack Master of this place, deeply and deservedly regretted.

John Elliot Woolford of the Barracks Department was appointed Assistant Barrack Master at Saint John in 1823. He bore the title until 1839 or 1840 when he was described in the New Brunswick Almanack as Deputy Barrack Master, and in 1842 as Barrack Master. He had charge of the army buildings in Fredericton.

J. E. Woolford was in charge of the building of Government House, and the very fine plans of the same are now in the Archives, Ottawa. The contract for building Government House was awarded to Jedediah Slason, and it was built in 1827.

New Brunswick Royal Gazette, 14 March 1826:

Contracts will be received by William F. Odell, Thomas Wetmore and Samuel D. Street… building a college… rough stone, hewn stone for the corners, boards, planks and scantling.

William F. Odell and the Reverend George Best advertised contracts in the New Brunswick Royal Gazette, April 1826, for a building for King’s College. The contract was awarded to James Taylor and also to Cross and Murray of Saint John. J.E. Woolford was the architect, and a model of the college building which he designed stood in his home.

Had there been a public library at that time, Mr. Woolford probably would have designed it, as the following notice suggests:

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 19 July 1839:

Fredericton Library — A General Meeting of the Proprietors is requested at the residence of Mr. Woolford on Friday afternoon next at 21st instance at 4 o’clock to decide upon the selection of a Library Room and such others matters as may be brought before the meeting. By order of the President. R. Gowan, Secretary.

J.E. Woolford resided in Regent Street opposite the Park Barracks until 1841.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 10 July 1839:

Notice "The Subscriber" respectfully intimates to his friends and the Public that he has taken that commodious and pleasantly situated House in Regent Street owned by Captain James Segee next door to J. E. Woolford, Esq. and nearly opposite to Mr. Donald McLeod where he intends keeping a Genteel Boarding House for the reception of permanent and Transient Boarders. Good staffing is required. Joseph Estabrooks.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 1 November 1841:

Welner-Baile Tailoring Shop in the House lately occupied by Barrack Master Woolford, Regent Street.

He was one of the artists who exhibited at the Grand Exhibition in Saint John in August 1842, and was President of the Floral and Horticultural Society of New Brunswick in 1843. He retired in 1859 from the Barracks Department, but remained in Fredericton until his death.

The Head Quarters, Fredericton, NB, 17 January 1866:

John E. WOOLFORD, Esq., late Barrack Master in this garrison was a native of England, born in London; served under Duke of York in Holland, afterwards under Sir Ralph ABERCROMBIE in Egypt where he was present at all the principal engagements. It was there that his merit as a sketcher of landscapes attracted the attention of Lord Dalhousie, under whose patronage he settled in Scotland on his return as an artist. On Lord DALHOUSIE’s appointment to the Government of Nova Scotia, he accompanied him to that country. In 1821 when his Lordship made a tour through Upper and Lower to Lake Superior, he attended him as an artist, and took views of all the principal residences on their route. In 1823 on a change being made in the Barrack Dept., he received his late appointment to this garrison and held it until 1858. It was the plans of Mr. WOOLFORD that both the College and Government House were built. He was married to a lady of the ERSKINE family, related to Lord BUCHAN and the late Lady DOUGLAS wife of Sir Howard DOUGLAS.

Three men named John Lothrop Marsh

Marsh

Lot #182. This double lot was purchased by John Lothrop Marsh III, Police Magistrate, in 1859. He and his wife, Hester, are buried here with his parents, John Lothrop Marsh, Jr. and Sophia Miriam Beckwith, and his sisters, Julia and Sophia. Also here are the two children of Sophia and her husband Laughlan McLean. The grandparents of the police magistrate, John Lothrop Marsh and his wife Sarah Estabrooks, are buried in this graveyard and may be buried in this lot.

John L. Marsh, born 12 July 1758, died 3 May 1859. His wife, Sarah Estabrooks, born 10 October 1764, died 2 January 1844 aged 80.

John Lothrop Marsh, born 12 July 1796, died 1853. His wife, Sophie Miriam Beckwith, born [?], died 1851.

John Lothrop Marsh, born 22 January 1830, died 1914. His wife, Hester Frink, born 1839, died 1917 aged 78.

Only the small stone to the two children marks the Marsh lot today:

In memory of John L. Marsh, d. Dec. 13, 1856, ae 11 months, 21 days. Sophia Marion Beckwith, d. May 25, 1862, ae 2 years and 4 months.

Johnnie and Minnie, children of Lauchlan and Sophia L. McLean.

There is another little hand /To Heaven’s sweet harp and strings given /Another gentle seraph’s voice /Another star in heaven.

The first John Lothrop Marsh here was a Loyalist, born in Fairfield, Connecticut, the son of Simeon Marsh and Eunice Lothrop. His sisters were Elizabeth, who married Lt. Leonard Reed in 1793, and Sarah, who married Valentine Harding in 1795. His brothers were Solomon and Ebenezer, who went to Upper Canada in 1782 to live, and the Reverend Thomas Marsh, a missionary to Tennessee.

John Lothrop Marsh, the Loyalist, came to New Brunswick in 1783. In 1790 he married, in Canning, Sarah, daughter of Elijah Estabrooks of Cornwallis, Nova Scotia. Their children were Thomas Lothrop (born 1791), Elizabeth (born 1793), Charles William (born 1794), John Lothrop (born 1796), Elijah (born 1799), and George (born 1802).

John Lothrop Marsh, the son, in 1824 married Sophia Miriam Beckwith, a daughter of Nehemiah Beckwith and Julie-Louise Le Brun de Duplessis. Sophia was a sister of the Honourable John A. Beckwith and of the author Julia Beckwith Hart who is buried elsewhere in this burial ground. She was living in Kingston with her widowed mother, who, upon the death of Nehemiah, had taken her family there, probably to join her widowed sister, Elizabeth, Madame Antoine Ferland.

New Brunswick Royal Gazette, 23 November 1824:

Married at Quebec, on Sunday the 10th ult. by the Rev. Doctor Mountain, Mr. John Lothrop Marsh, of Wakefield, N.B. to Miss Sophia Beckwith, of Kingston, Upper Canada.

The census for 1851 lists John L. Marsh, merchant, 50, living with his children: Amelia, 23; John L., 21; Sophia, 18; Julia, 16; Arthur, 13; and Sarah, 10. His wife’s residence at the time of the census is not known.

John Lothrop Marsh [III] was admitted to the Bar of New Brunswick in 1854 and was a partner of the firm Marsh and Beckwith. He married Hester C. Frink, eldest daughter of S.P. Frink, in 1859. He and his sister Julia were the executors of their father’s will in 1871.

Julia Louise Le Brun Marsh married Edward John Russell, artist and illustrator, who was employed before his marriage as a bookkeeper at the Beckwith & Marsh lumber mill. She died in 1880, survived by her husband, five sons, and a daughter.

Sophia Le Brun Marsh, the second sister of John Lothrop Marsh, married Lauchlan McLean, a merchant, the son of a Scottish settler at Grand Lake. A few years after their marriage, the couple moved to Saint John. Besides the two buried here, their children were Hugh Havelock (born 22 March 1854), Arthur B. (born 1857), Charles Herbert, and Maud. Their eldest son, Major General Hugh Havelock McLean, was Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick 1928-1935.

Census, Fredericton, NB, 1871:

John L. MARSH, 42, b. NB, Lawyer, Wesleyan Methodist

Hester, 32, b. NB, Wesleyan Methodist

Hugh McLEAN, 17, b. NB, Student, Wesleyan Methodist

Eliza PETERS, 23, b. NB, Servant, Maid, African.

On 1 May 1871, an Act was passed "Relating to the Police Establishment in the City of Fredericton," regulating the office of the Police Magistrate. John Marsh was appointed to that position, to receive an annual salary not exceeding $400. He was empowered to appoint a police force, a staff of able men, not exceeding three. Included was a caution about the taverns of the town: a section of the Act stated that if a tavern keeper harboured or entertained any policeman on duty, he could be fined or have his license cancelled by the magistrate. Forty-two years later, on his 84th birthday, John Lothrop Marsh was still holding that office.

In 1871, John Marsh was appointed Lieutenant Colonel of the 71st York Battalion of Infantry, and was still in command in 1885. He lived at 690 George Street. He is described as very dapper, immaculately turned out. He always wore a frock coat to the Sunday services at the Cathedral. In 1881 census shows John Marsh, Police Magistrate, living with his wife, Hester, and two daughters: Florence L., 9, and Mary Sophie (born 1874), aged 6.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 2 August 1882:

PROCLAMATION

Whereas some person or persons did on the night of the thirty-first of July last make a felonious assault with firearms upon John L. Marsh, Esquire, Police Magistrate, at his residence in Fredericton: I do therefore publish this Proclamation and do hereby offer a Reward of Two Hundred Dollars for such information as will secure the conviction of the person or persons guilty of said offence.

Given under my Hand and Seal at Fredericton, the second day of August, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty-two, and in the forty-sixth year of Her Majesty’s Reign. — By Command of the Lieutenant Governor P.A. Landry

The family of William Shepherd Estey

Estey

This lot contains three tombstones and four footstones, enclosed by a low rail with chain and tassels supported by stone posts.

William Shepherd Estey b. Oct. 4, 1797, d July 20, 1881 and his wife Lucretia Estabrooks b. Nov. 21, 1796 d Feb. 26, 1870.

Footstones: "W.S.E." and "L.E."

William Shepherd Estey was born at Queensbury. Eastey, Easty, and Esty are other spellings of this name.

William S. Estey was a blacksmith when young, and was later described as a general dealer, census enumerator, and lumber surveyor. He was a prominent member of the New Brunswick Baptist Education Society. On 29 October 1819 he was married in Fredericton to Lucretia Estabrooks, a daughter of Joseph Estabrooks and Lucretia Handy, and a granddaughter of Elijah Estabrooks. The family lived on the southwest corner of Northumberland and Charlotte Streets.

In 1836, William Estey and his brother Theophilus Ring Estey entered into a partnership as general dealers. William continued in business after the death of Theophilus, who is buried here in another plot.

Advertisement, 1836:

NOTICE: The subscribers, having entered into partnership, will constantly keep on hand, broad and narrow axes and all other kinds of blacksmith work, horse shoeing done with neatness and dispatch, and orders from the country will be punctually attended to in the shop, Queen St., formerly occupied by William S. Estey. — William S. Estey, Theophilus R. Estey, Fredericton, July 4th 1836.

The children of William and Lucretia Estey were Mary Jane, Harris Shepherd, Elizabeth Ann, Caroline Lucretia, Luantia, Joseph Nehemiah, Isabel Maria, Julie Sophia, William Ludlow, and Frederick William Estey. Most of them seem to have been born in Lincoln, downriver of Fredericton.

Mary Jane (1819-1897) married George William Turner (1816-1857) in 1839, and they had four sons. Nathaniel L. Price, a lodger in the home, married Caroline Lucretia in 1846. She died at the age of 26 years and is buried in the Price lot.

In 1871, William and two of his daughters, Isabel Maria and Elizabeth Ann, were living with his son, Harris S. Estey.

In memory of Harris S. Estey, died Dec. 16, 1882, ae 61 years. Also his wife Ellen A., died April 19, 1867, ae 41 years. "Make them to be numbered with Thy Saints in glory everlasting."

Footstones: "H.S.E." and "E.A.E."

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 17 September 1848:

Married, at Wakefield, on Sept. 3, 1848, by the Rev. Samuel Elder of Fredericton, Mr. Harris Spencer [Shepherd] Estey of the same city to Miss Ellen Amanda, second daughter of Mr. Thomas Sutherland, of Wakefield.

Harris Shepherd Estey was born on 23 February 1821. He and his wife Eleanor Amanda Sutherland, had seven children: Ida Caroline (born 1851), Helen M., Henry G., Frank A., William J., G. Frederick, and Bella L.M. Estey.

Harris S. Estey was first a grocer, his shop on the corner of Queen and Westmorland Streets, and then for years was Secretary of the Fredericton Boom Company, a very responsible position.

In memory of Joseph N. Estey born 22nd Dec., 1828, died 28th Jan., 1861. Also Mary M. Huestis, daughter of Joseph and Jane T. Estey, Nov. 1, 1860, ae 16 days.

Jane T. Huestis, wife of J. Alfred Smith, died at Boston, Mass., May 16, 1885, ae 50 years. She made home happy.

Joseph Nehemiah Estey, the younger son of William Shepherd Estey, married Jane T. Huestis. They had a son and a daughter, and within weeks of the birth of the second child, the father and child were dead. The widow, only 27 years of age, took her two-year-old son, Spencer J. Estey, to live in the United States with her widowed mother, Deborah D. Huestis. Like the rest of this connection, Deborah was a Baptist. Jane later married J. Alfred Smith, a brother of John Thomas Smith, grocer, who lived on Waterloo Row in Fredericton. She is buried here with her first husband and her daughter.

Caroline Estey Price

Price

In Memory of Caroline, wife of Nathaniel L. Price, third daughter of William S. Estey, died 12th June 1851, aged 26 years

Caroline was a daughter of William Shepherd Estey and his wife Lucretia Estabrooks. She was married to Nathaniel Price in Fredericton on 2 September 1846 by the Reverend Samuel Elder. Nathaniel Price is shown in the 1851 census as 32 years old and a lodger, with H.S. Price, aged 4, at the home of his father-in-law.

The Estabrooks, Price, and Estey families were early settlers in New Brunswick. Benjamin Price and family were on the lower St. John River in 1765. A man named Nathaniel Price lived in Maugerville in 1776 and was a known sympathiser of the Americans.