Lillie Bell Phillips, aged 5 months

Phillips

Lillie Bell daughter of Joseph and Annie E. Phillips died 25th Oct. 1866 aged 5 months and 20 days.

The inscription was copied in 1953, but by the time the small stone was to be checked for location and epitaph, it had been removed by vandals. It is thought to have been in the large square lot surrounded by a handsome iron fence claimed in 1886 by J. Edgecombe.

Joseph Phillips (1828-1905) was a son of Zophar Phillips and his wife Mehitable Dunphy. The Phillips family and the Sinclairs, whose burial plot is adjoining, settled on the Rusagonis River. Joseph Phillips, of all his family, eventually settled in Fredericton. He and Elizabeth [Ann] Edgecombe married in 1859, and they had three children of whom Lillie Bell was the youngest. In 1901, Joseph and Annie E. Phillips had living with them a son, R. Bedford H. Phillips, 38, and a daughter, Ida E., 34. It is thought that Joseph and his wife are buried in this lot.

According to records, Joseph Phillips was a school teacher in 1851, 1865, and 1871. The 1851 census listed him as the proprietor of a hotel, the Brayley House in Queen Street, a brick building near the People’s Bank opposite Gibson’s Store. Also, he was proprietor of the stage between Fredericton and Woodstock. The New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66 lists his hotel at the steamboat landing.

Abraham Henry Clark, builder

Clark

In memory of A. Henry Clark, died in Fredericton, July 11th, 1865 aged 56 years and his wife Christianna, died Feb. 5th, 1887 age 79 years.

Also their son Edwin B. who died at Jacksonville, Florida, April 4, 1871 in the 27th year of his age.

Footstones: “Mother” and “Father.”

Lot #44, 10 x 12 feet, was purchased in 1866 and contains one large stone inscribed on two sides. The engraved symbol on the top of Edwin Clark’s epitaph is an anchor and rope. There were five graves here enclosed by wooden paling painted black. Besides the graves of A. Henry Clark and his wife and son, there are two unmarked graves: Louisa Augusta, born 1 December 1837, died 22 August 1918; and George Samuel Clark, born 7 May 1846, died 12 December 1922.

Abraham Henry Clark, born 19 May 1807, was the eldest son of Samuel Clark and his wife Abigail Jewett. He was born on the farm at Keswick Ridge and became a house builder in Fredericton and was one of the best.

He married, on 7 May 1835, Christianna ("Ann") Bain, born 6 August 1808. This marriage was one of the first performed under the new law which permitted dissenting clergymen in New Brunswick to perform the marriage ceremony. Christianna Bain was of Scottish descent and a devout Christian. Prior to her death she was an invalid for some years.

Henry Clark brought his bride to a large house which he bought and improved — the King Street property of Thomas Everett. He subsequently built two houses in George Street.

The children of Henry and Christianna were Henry Bradford (1836-1921), Louisa Augusta (1837-1918), Charles Frederick (1841-1927), Edwin B. (1845-1871), and George Samuel (1846-1922).

Henry Bradford, the eldest son, a builder like his father, married Hannah Barker, daughter of Andrew Ritchie, also a noted builder of houses. She was a granddaughter of William Anderson, High Sheriff of York County (1801-1811), a noted Loyalist and a trader. His father, John Anderson, long connected with Nova Scotia as a trader and once a rival of Hazen, Simonds & White, bequeathed to his son William Anderson the 10,000-acre Monckton Grant and a tremendous debt. Henry Bradford Clark built the house in George Street, now numbered 759, in which he and his wife first resided and reared a family.

Miss Louisa Augusta and her youngest brother, George, remained unmarried and resided together for many years in one of the houses built by their father on George Street opposite the Old Burying Ground. George was employed by the Fred Edgecombe company for years as manager of one of the departments in the store.

George Cox Todd, blacksmith

Todd

A large Masonic emblem marks the graves of the Todd family.

In Memoriam. George Todd, born Dec. 25, 1812, died June 12, 1898. "From labour to refreshment".

Sarah A. Todd, b. Nov. 19, 1815, died Jan. 2nd, 1883. "Her children rose up and called her blessed."

Charles Murray Todd, b. July 28, 1838, d. April 17, 1883.

John Franklin Todd, b. Oct. 1, 1853, d. Jan. 23, 1861.

In memory of Robert Wiley, son of George and Sarah Todd, d. 19th July, 1849, ae 19 months.

Footstones: "G.T., S.A.T." and "R.W.T."

It was reported in 1938 by the York-Sunbury Historical Society that George Cox Todd was a grandson of the Loyalist Reuben Todd, who was a son of Mix Todd, a soldier of the Revolutionary War. The name Cox relates back to the wife of Justus Todd, Sarah Cox, who in December 1812, carrying a heavy load of vegetables, sugar, and beans, perished when she went through the ice. In 1837, a Lieut. William Todd, born in 1813, was serving with the 85th Regiment.

Journals of the House of Assembly, New Brunswick, 11 February 1847:

Mr. Fisher by leave presents a petition from Adams Crane of Douglas in the County of York praying that the pension due to the late Ruth Todd, at the time of her death as the widow of an old soldier of the Revolutionary war may be granted to him.

Journals of the House of Assembly, New Brunswick, 20 February 1847:

To Adam Crane, the sum of 11 pounds being the amount due to his late mother-in-law, Ruth Todd, the widow of the late Mix Todd, an old soldier of the Revolutionary War for the year ending 1846.

George Todd’s place of business for over sixty years was a foundry on King Street, which occupied the former site of the Reformed Baptist Church. He was a blacksmith. He was the grandfather of Emma Todd who died in 1954. She lived all her life in her grandfather’s house, east of the gaol on Brunswick Street. The lovely old house was demolished in 1974, for parking purposes.

New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66:

CITY FOUNDRY King St. Fredericton, N.B. George Todd, manufacturer of cook, close and parlour stoves. Ploughs.

In 1871 Jane Todd, Irish, aged 84, was living with her daughter Jane, Mrs. John Edgecombe. She is thought to be the mother of George Todd. Murray Todd was the eldest son of George and Sarah Todd. George S. Todd, his brother, was the father of Emma Todd.

George Harry, son of W.H. and Elizabeth Bradley, died January 2, 1870, aged 8 years and 9 months. "Of such is the Kingdom of Heaven."

It is thought that Elizabeth, the child’s mother, was a daughter of George and Sarah Todd. Harry Bradley lived in the home of George Todd. In 1864, "Bradley’s Wharf" was opposite the Grammar School near the Cathedral.

George Todd claims a lot in the B. Ground, size 15 x 20 feet. Situate in the New Part of the burial ground. Bounded by the John Anderson lot. On the South by George Street fence. This lot is enclosed by an iron fence with the name ‘George Todd’ on the Gate and is marked by a Monument to the memory of Mr. Todd’s son Robert Wiley. This lot was purchased by Mr. Todd over twenty years ago for the sum of twelve dollars.

The John Edgecombe family

Edgecombe

In memory of Elizabeth Edgecombe the wife of John Edgecombe who departed this life 17th July, 1840 aged 28 years.

Why do we mourn departing friends / Or shake at death’s acclaim? / Tis but the voice, Jesus sends / To call them to his arms.

There is only one stone in this plot enclosed with wrought-iron railings. It marks the grave of John Edgecombe’s first wife, Elizabeth Cater. She did not live to enjoy the successes of her husband.

She and her husband with their two young daughters, Mary Jane and Sophia, were English immigrants arriving in the late 1830s. John Edgecombe was a large carriage manufacturer on the east side of York Street near King Street. In 1883 his factory won first prize at the Dominion Exhibition "for fine and durable workmanship." The Edgecombe family was one of the most prominent in the city.

In 1841, the Royal Gazette reported John Edgecombe’s second marriage, to Ann Jane Wilman, with whom he had nine sons. One of the sons, F.B. Edgecombe (1851-1931), became Fredericton’s most successful dry goods merchant, its largest real estate owner, and an outstanding citizen. He was in business for more than sixty years and at his death was described by the Daily Mail as "the dean of Fredericton merchants."