Lillie Bell daughter of Joseph and Annie E. Phillips died 25th Oct. 1866 aged 5 months and 20 days.
The inscription was copied in 1953, but by the time the small stone was to be checked for location and epitaph, it had been removed by vandals. It is thought to have been in the large square lot surrounded by a handsome iron fence claimed in 1886 by J. Edgecombe.
Joseph Phillips (1828-1905) was a son of Zophar Phillips and his wife Mehitable Dunphy. The Phillips family and the Sinclairs, whose burial plot is adjoining, settled on the Rusagonis River. Joseph Phillips, of all his family, eventually settled in Fredericton. He and Elizabeth [Ann] Edgecombe married in 1859, and they had three children of whom Lillie Bell was the youngest. In 1901, Joseph and Annie E. Phillips had living with them a son, R. Bedford H. Phillips, 38, and a daughter, Ida E., 34. It is thought that Joseph and his wife are buried in this lot.
According to records, Joseph Phillips was a school teacher in 1851, 1865, and 1871. The 1851 census listed him as the proprietor of a hotel, the Brayley House in Queen Street, a brick building near the People’s Bank opposite Gibson’s Store. Also, he was proprietor of the stage between Fredericton and Woodstock. The New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66 lists his hotel at the steamboat landing.