Crane

Tabor

Memorial to the Honourable John R. Partelow who died on the 13th Jan. 1865, aged 69 years.

Also his wife, Jane Hamlin, who departed this life 20th Feb. 1866, aged 69 years. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord."

In Memory of Charles Clifton Tabor, late Lieut. 15th Regt., died March 21st, 1888 aged 47 years. "Simply to Thy cross I cling"

In memory of Ada, wife of Charles Clifton Tabor, died March 23rd 1919, aged 80 years. "At rest in the Lord".

Percy Clifton, died Nov. 8th, 1886 aged 2 years, son of Charles and Ada Tabor.

John Clifton Tabor

Lot #156. There are six graves in this enclosed lot: Hon. John R. Partelow, his wife, and his daughter Ada, Mrs. Tabor, with her husband and two of their children.

Chas. C. Tabor claims a lot in the Burial ground. Size about 16 feet square. Situate towards the North West corner of Ground. Enclosed by heavy granite coping. Marked by marble [illegible]. Engraved "Partelow" Claimer purchased this lot from Henry Chestnut Feb 21st 1866

John R. Partelow was the son of a shoemaker, Jehiel Partelow of Saint John. He married Jane Hamlin Matthews in 1819.

From 1828 until 1856, except for an interlude of three years, John R. Partelow was a member of the Legislature for the County of St. John. He was Chamberlain of Saint John from 1827 until 1865, and was also Mayor of that city, appointed 10 April 1846 and holding office until 5 July 1848 when he was appointed Provincial Secretary. Mr. Partelow was appointed Auditor General of New Brunswick on 7 May 1855, which office he held until his death in January 1865.

When Mr. Partelow was appointed Provincial Secretary, he brought his wife and family to Fredericton. His eldest daughter, Mary, married James R. Crane. Jane, the second daughter, married John MacKay. Elizabeth married Thomas Otty Crookshank. Agnes married Henry Jeffrey Robinson, Captain, 76th Regiment, in 1857 and is buried nearby in the H.J. Robinson plot. Emma, the fourth daughter of Mr. Partelow, was the third wife of James Scott Beek, who succeeded Mr. Partelow as Auditor General and, like his father-in-law, was one of New Brunswick’s most distinguished civil servants. The Canadian Parliamentary Guide, 1908, lists Mr. James S. Beek, Auditor General of New Brunswick as a Companion of the Imperial Service Order. The order was instituted by King Edward, 8 August 1902, for faithful and meritorious service in the Civil Service.

Ada, the youngest daughter, in 1862 married Charles Clifton Tabor of the 15th Regiment of Foot stationed in Fredericton from 1862 to 1868. Captain Tabor and his wife were well known in Fredericton. When Captain Clifton Tabor retired from the army, they resided at "Woodlands," the former home of Major Hansard of the 69th Regiment (Ret’d) who died in 1853. Mrs. Hansard sold the house in 1866.

The Tabors had a large family: besides the two young sons buried here, they had seven sons and three daughters. Their daughter Agnes, when young, wrote a prize essay on the 104th Regiment. She married, as his first wife, J.H.A.L. Fairweather, Judge of the Supreme Court of New Brunswick. Lilla married the Rev. G. Edward R. MacDonald, a nephew and foster son of Rev. Canon George Goodridge Roberts. The MacDonalds lived in California. After the death of Mrs. Clifton Tabor in 1919, her eldest daughter, Ada, married Dr. William Tyng Raymond, Professor of Classics at the University of New Brunswick. Some years after he retired (1929), they moved from their home at 770 George Street in Fredericton to Saint John where they died.

{ 0 comments }

Todd

A large Masonic emblem marks the graves of the Todd family.

In Memoriam. George Todd, born Dec. 25, 1812, died June 12, 1898. "From labour to refreshment".

Sarah A. Todd, b. Nov. 19, 1815, died Jan. 2nd, 1883. "Her children rose up and called her blessed."

Charles Murray Todd, b. July 28, 1838, d. April 17, 1883.

John Franklin Todd, b. Oct. 1, 1853, d. Jan. 23, 1861.

In memory of Robert Wiley, son of George and Sarah Todd, d. 19th July, 1849, ae 19 months.

Footstones: "G.T., S.A.T." and "R.W.T."

It was reported in 1938 by the York-Sunbury Historical Society that George Cox Todd was a grandson of the Loyalist Reuben Todd, who was a son of Mix Todd, a soldier of the Revolutionary War. The name Cox relates back to the wife of Justus Todd, Sarah Cox, who in December 1812, carrying a heavy load of vegetables, sugar, and beans, perished when she went through the ice. In 1837, a Lieut. William Todd, born in 1813, was serving with the 85th Regiment.

Journals of the House of Assembly, New Brunswick, 11 February 1847:

Mr. Fisher by leave presents a petition from Adams Crane of Douglas in the County of York praying that the pension due to the late Ruth Todd, at the time of her death as the widow of an old soldier of the Revolutionary war may be granted to him.

Journals of the House of Assembly, New Brunswick, 20 February 1847:

To Adam Crane, the sum of 11 pounds being the amount due to his late mother-in-law, Ruth Todd, the widow of the late Mix Todd, an old soldier of the Revolutionary War for the year ending 1846.

George Todd’s place of business for over sixty years was a foundry on King Street, which occupied the former site of the Reformed Baptist Church. He was a blacksmith. He was the grandfather of Emma Todd who died in 1954. She lived all her life in her grandfather’s house, east of the gaol on Brunswick Street. The lovely old house was demolished in 1974, for parking purposes.

New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66:

CITY FOUNDRY King St. Fredericton, N.B. George Todd, manufacturer of cook, close and parlour stoves. Ploughs.

In 1871 Jane Todd, Irish, aged 84, was living with her daughter Jane, Mrs. John Edgecombe. She is thought to be the mother of George Todd. Murray Todd was the eldest son of George and Sarah Todd. George S. Todd, his brother, was the father of Emma Todd.

George Harry, son of W.H. and Elizabeth Bradley, died January 2, 1870, aged 8 years and 9 months. "Of such is the Kingdom of Heaven."

It is thought that Elizabeth, the child’s mother, was a daughter of George and Sarah Todd. Harry Bradley lived in the home of George Todd. In 1864, "Bradley’s Wharf" was opposite the Grammar School near the Cathedral.

George Todd claims a lot in the B. Ground, size 15 x 20 feet. Situate in the New Part of the burial ground. Bounded by the John Anderson lot. On the South by George Street fence. This lot is enclosed by an iron fence with the name ‘George Todd’ on the Gate and is marked by a Monument to the memory of Mr. Todd’s son Robert Wiley. This lot was purchased by Mr. Todd over twenty years ago for the sum of twelve dollars.

{ 1 comment }