The Campbells of Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland, and Kingsclear, New Brunswick

Campbell

In memory of Christianna, beloved wife of James A. Campbell, died 23rd May 1865 aged 54 years.

John Campbell departed this life 22nd Dec. 1931 aged 94.

James A. Campbell died Oct. 22nd 1901 in the 97th year of his age.

Lot #87. James A. Campbell of Kingsclear and his wife are buried here, and it is thought that two of his sons and their wives are also here although there is an inscription for one son only. The tall handsome memorial to his mother is now well nigh illegible. It stands alone in this lot measuring 11 x 14 feet, enclosed by an iron railing. The lot was purchased in 1866.

James Campbell was born in Kirkcudbrightshire. He married Christianna Mitchell, daughter of Alexander Mitchell and his wife, Mary McPherson, who brought their family in 1827 from Inverskip, Renfrewshire, and settled at Scotch Lake in York County, New Brunswick.

William Mitchell, brother of Mrs. Campbell, was the father of James Mitchell, a barrister practising in St. Stephen. The Honourable James Mitchell was first elected in 1882 for the County of Charlotte and had a successful political career, being Premier of New Brunswick.

James A. Campbell and his family were supporters of the Kirk in Fredericton. Their children were Mary, James, Annie, Sarah, John Alexander, and Robert. Mary married William Cooper of Fredericton; James married Isabel Mitchell; Annie died unmarried; Sarah married William Edgar; Robert is believed to have married a Miss Kedey in Saint John; and John Alexander, born 18 February 1838 in Kingsclear, was a farmer all his life.

John Alexander Campbell did much to promote agricultural development, and for several years was a member of the Board of Agriculture, which in the old days acted in an advisory capacity to the Provincial Government. When a boy, he attended an Agricultural Exhibition held at Province Hall, and being greatly impressed with the value of such gatherings to those engaged in farming, he did all in his power to encourage their continuance. For upwards of thirty years he held the presidential office in the Fredericton Agricultural Society, which conducted many successful exhibitions at the capital. When compelled to retire because of advancing years, he became honorary president of the society and its holding company, Fredericton Exhibition Limited.

He offered as a candidate for the Legislative Assembly (York) on a Liberal ticket in 1899, and was elected by a large majority. He was re-elected in 1903 and retired in 1908.

For a number of years prior to his death, the Directors of Fredericton Exhibition Limited made his birthday the occasion for a sleigh drive and visit to his hospitable home. In 1903, when Mr. Frank Cooper was first made a Director of this company, John Campbell, his uncle, was President and presided at the meeting. When he died in 1931, John Campbell held the office of Honorary President. Mr. Cooper continued as a Director for more than fifty years.

John Alexander Campbell was married to Evelina Dunphy. He was survived by one son, John, and four daughters: Ida married Elias Wetmore Henry of Magaguadavic, who was a veterinary surgeon; Christina married Albert Everett; Eliza remained unmarried; and Annie married Dr. J. W. MacNeill who removed from Fredericton to Saskatoon where he became administrator of the Provincial Hospital and received an honorary degree from the University of Saskatchewan.

Richard Pinder and family

Pinder

Pinder, Zitelia Susan July 27, 1876, 3 months

From the Old Burying Ground records, City of Fredericton:

Richard M. Pinder claims a lot 8 x 13, old part bounded south by the Charles Mills lot, east by William Anderson’s lot and on the north by A. Estey’s lot. Enclosed by four wooden stakes and marked by monuments with names Stella and Robie on same. This lot was marked for the above claimer by William Craig in the early 1870s.

“Stella” and “Robbie” were the children of John and Elizabeth Wilson.

Richard M. Pinder lived in Brunswick Street on the north corner of Church. He was a partner in Cooper’s carriage trade in the 1870s, Cooper and Pinder. The carriage factory was in King Street between York and Westmorland Streets. He married Frances C. Payne, eldest daughter of Richard Payne, in 1874. Zitelia Susan was their daughter. Several others of their children died young, including two sons of diptheria in 1881.

Census, Fredericton, NB, 1901:

Pinder, Richard, head of household, born Feb 16 1846, aged 55

Francis, wife, Aug 28 1846, 54

Annie, daughter, Mar 19 1881, 20

May, daughter, Dec 30 1882, 18

Gertrude, daughter, Apr 16 1885, 15

Jack, son, Oct 4 1889, 11

Annie, mother, widow, Apr 6 1814, 86

Richard Pinder’s mother Ann, widow of John Pinder, was a confectioner and grocer. In 1861, the census showed Ann Pinder, 46, sharing a home with Elizabeth, 24; George, 13; Mary, 9; and three grandsons: Henry Devitt, 5; Francis, 3; and George R., 1 month.

The New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66 lists Richard and James Pinder, both carpenters, at Queen near St. John Street. Lovell’s Directory 1871 shows Richard M. Pinder, Colwell Pinder Company, Queen Street, and James K. Pinder, Builder, Queen Street.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 1 April 1896:

Major Wm T. Howe of Stanley (York Co.) and Capt. R.M. Pinder of this city, two of the oldest officers in the 71st Battalion, have resigned their commissions in the militia…. Capt. Pinder has been connected with the militia for nearly 35 years. He was a member of the old Victoria Rifles and was with his corps at St. Andrews at the time of the Fenian scare. He was a crack rifle shot in his younger days and was at Wimbleton with the Canadian team in 1875.

Pinder is not a common surname in Fredericton, and others listed in the records are most likely related to Richard Pinder.