The Holden Turner family

Turner

In Memory of John, son of John and Agnes Turner, who died May 12, 1860, aged 9 years and 7 mo’s

Agnes, the first child of John and Agnes Turner died in infancy. She also is buried here, her grave unmarked.

John Turner was a son of George Hutchinson Turner and his wife, Catherine Russell. He was a grandson of Holden Turner and Jennet Hutchinson, and of Jacob and Elizabeth Russell, Loyalists who settled in Kingsclear.

Holden Turner was born about 1761 in Ayr, Scotland, and came to New Brunswick in 1784. He was a member of St. Paul’s Church in 1843. Holden and Jennet had ten children. Uncles of John Turner operated the Turner American Express out of Saint John and were prosperous. John Turner drove the stage coach from Fredericton to St. Andrews and later the Woodstock stage.

Agnes was a daughter of Ebenezer Nicholson, who came to New Brunswick with his wife and children from Dumfries and settled in the parish of Douglas. The family attended the old Kirk. Another daughter, Sarah, married Robert Irwin, whose sister Margaret married Robert Colwell. Hugh Irwin, brother of Robert, married Matilda, the sister of William Grieves. This explains the proximity of the graves of the Turner, Irwin, Colwell, and Grieves families.

Buried here are Agnes and John, the first two children of John and Agnes Turner. The eldest six of John’s ten children were born in Fredericton. After 1860, the family apparently moved about and in 1865 were in Rivière-du-Loup. Agnes Turner died there in 1896, and John died in Winnipeg in 1911.

Margery Elizabeth, 1851-1854, child of J.S. and Susan Turner.

This inscription is on the reverse of the large Sampson stone.

Joshua S. Turner, a grandson of Holden Turner, had married Susan Johnson in 1851. She was a daughter of Margery Elizabeth Johnson, as was Jane, wife of Thomas Sampson, whose son Charles was the Fredericton agent for the Turner Express. Margery Johnson’s will in 1873 mentions a widowed Jane Sampson. She kept a grocery store in Fredericton, as did Joshua Turner in Saint John. He was also listed as a Commission Merchant and a ship owner/broker. The Saint John Directory lists him living at 130 Charlotte Street.

Wilmot Church records, Fredericton, NB:

Turner, Henry, son of Susan and Joshua Turner, merchant of Fredericton, b. 27 Oct. 1851, bapt. 14 March 1852.

Turner, Margery Elizabeth b. July 13, 1853, bapt. 16 Aug. 1854. Daughter of Joshua and Susan.

Joshua Sylvester, b. 14 May 1867 bapt. 15 Sept 1867, son of Joshua and Susan, green grocer of St. John.

Richard Pinder and family

Pinder

Pinder, Zitelia Susan July 27, 1876, 3 months

From the Old Burying Ground records, City of Fredericton:

Richard M. Pinder claims a lot 8 x 13, old part bounded south by the Charles Mills lot, east by William Anderson’s lot and on the north by A. Estey’s lot. Enclosed by four wooden stakes and marked by monuments with names Stella and Robie on same. This lot was marked for the above claimer by William Craig in the early 1870s.

“Stella” and “Robbie” were the children of John and Elizabeth Wilson.

Richard M. Pinder lived in Brunswick Street on the north corner of Church. He was a partner in Cooper’s carriage trade in the 1870s, Cooper and Pinder. The carriage factory was in King Street between York and Westmorland Streets. He married Frances C. Payne, eldest daughter of Richard Payne, in 1874. Zitelia Susan was their daughter. Several others of their children died young, including two sons of diptheria in 1881.

Census, Fredericton, NB, 1901:

Pinder, Richard, head of household, born Feb 16 1846, aged 55

Francis, wife, Aug 28 1846, 54

Annie, daughter, Mar 19 1881, 20

May, daughter, Dec 30 1882, 18

Gertrude, daughter, Apr 16 1885, 15

Jack, son, Oct 4 1889, 11

Annie, mother, widow, Apr 6 1814, 86

Richard Pinder’s mother Ann, widow of John Pinder, was a confectioner and grocer. In 1861, the census showed Ann Pinder, 46, sharing a home with Elizabeth, 24; George, 13; Mary, 9; and three grandsons: Henry Devitt, 5; Francis, 3; and George R., 1 month.

The New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66 lists Richard and James Pinder, both carpenters, at Queen near St. John Street. Lovell’s Directory 1871 shows Richard M. Pinder, Colwell Pinder Company, Queen Street, and James K. Pinder, Builder, Queen Street.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 1 April 1896:

Major Wm T. Howe of Stanley (York Co.) and Capt. R.M. Pinder of this city, two of the oldest officers in the 71st Battalion, have resigned their commissions in the militia…. Capt. Pinder has been connected with the militia for nearly 35 years. He was a member of the old Victoria Rifles and was with his corps at St. Andrews at the time of the Fenian scare. He was a crack rifle shot in his younger days and was at Wimbleton with the Canadian team in 1875.

Pinder is not a common surname in Fredericton, and others listed in the records are most likely related to Richard Pinder.

Robert Irwin, tavern keeper

Irwin

Robert Irwin 1817-1873

Hugh Irwin 1818-1844

In memory of Mills Edwin, infant son of Robert and Sarah Irwin who died January 21st 1844, aged 10 months.

Footstone:

M.I.

There are no marked graves in this large Irwin lot (unclaimed in 1886) other than that of the infant Mills.

Robert and Hugh Irwin, brothers, came from Scotland via Cork in 1831 with two sisters, Margaret and Mary Ann, and a cousin, Robert. They came with John Moore and his wife, an aunt of the young Irwins. John Moore and his wife settled at Beaver Dam.

Robert Irwin worked in the tavern of Ebenezer Nicholson, and in 1841 married Sarah Nicholson and became the proprietor. The children of Robert and Sarah Irwin, all baptised by the Reverend Dr. Brooke, were Mills, Robert, Lucy Mills, and Sarah Ann.

Robert’s sister Margaret married Robert Colwell in 1838, and Mary Ann married John Arbuckle of the City of New York in 1840. His brother Hugh became a stone mason in St. Mary’s and married Matilda, a daughter of William Grieves. After the death of his wife, Hugh Irwin lived with Benjamin Hanson and his family. His daughter Elizabeth lived with her maternal grandparents, and later was the first wife of J. R. Howie.

The tavern of Robert Irwin was popular. In 1846 he advertised his hotel, and on the 30th of November of that same year the Fredericton St. Andrew Society celebrated there. A stage from Fredericton to Newcastle run by George McBeath commenced in January 1847, taking passengers at Robert Irwin’s hotel on Regent Street. William Grieves, a brother of the deceased Mrs. Hugh Irwin, succeeded Robert Irwin as proprietor after many years’ connection with the hotel. The name of the hotel became the Waverley and later on the Colonial. William Grieves was succeeded in turn by his son, John Brooks Grieves.

The administrators of the estate of Robert Irwin were John Moore, David Fisher, who was a son-in-law of John Moore, and George H. Hart of the Crown Land office, who, like Robert Irwin, had arrived in Fredericton in 1831. George Hart was older when he came to the city and already married to a sister of the Honourable John A. Beckwith.

Robert Colwell, carriage maker

Colwell

Robert Colwell 1809-1871

Margaret Colwell 1818-1884

David Colwell died 1850

Elizabeth Colwell 1831-1884

The Colwells came to New Brunswick from the north of Ireland. Robert Colwell married Margaret Irwin in November 1838, a sister of Robert and Hugh Irwin. He was a successful carriage manufacturer in Fredericton.

Their home was in George Street near Regent, and his place of business in King Street near Westmorland on the site of the later Horsnell’s Machine and Iron Works.

Five of their eight sons lived with them and were in business with their father: David, blacksmith; George, wagon maker; John, carpenter; Robert, carriage maker; and Samuel, harness maker.

Robert Jr. claimed the lot for his father by possession of over forty years.