John Collins, tailor

Collins

Lot #98 has no monuments.

JOHN COLLINS claims a lot NEW PART of the Burial Ground size 8 x 14. Situate in the 1st section West. Not Enclosed. Bounded North by the F. Adams lot East by the S.R. Miller lot South by the Wm Ryan lot and West by a walk. Mr. Collins purchased this lot from Henry Chestnut some 20 years ago.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 26 July 1850:

m. 12th June, by Rev. Wm Temple, John COLLINS / Miss Margaret KEITH

John Collins, tailor, and his wife, Margaret Keith (or Keefe), had seven children living in 1871. Their eldest son, born 1851, was baptised in the Kirk but the family seem to have been Methodist. A daughter, Alice M., married Charles Elbridge Esty in 1877 and died the following year, aged twenty-two years.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 13 July 1887:

John COLLINS, tailor, died at his residence yesterday after many weeks of failing health. He will probably be buried with Oddfellows ceremony.

Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 23 April 1891:

…died in Fredericton city, at her residence, corner of George and Westmorland streets, a well known lady, Margaret COLLINS relict of John COLLINS. She had been a sufferer for many years from liver complaint which terminated her life at 7 o’clock this morn., 23rd inst. Deceased has been a member of the Methodist Church for many years. Of her family of six, three are residents of Boston. She will be interred in the Methodist Cemetery, Sunday afternoon 2 o’clock.

Archdeacon George Coster and family

Coster

In memory of George Coster, A.M. Rector of Fredericton and Archdeacon of New Brunswick, born November 29th, 1794, died January 9, 1859. Eleanor, his wife, and Maria, his sister.

A handsome stone, engraved on both sides, marks the deaths of the Archdeacon and his wife. A crypt at Christ Church Cathedral contains their mortal remains. Maria Coster (born 1787, died 3 February 1862) is buried here.

Born at Newbury, Berkshire, England, Archdeacon Coster came to Fredericton in 1829. His wife was Eleanor Hansard (born 1797, died 11 March 1863). They lived in the rectory on George Street, which later became the Limerick home.

Behind the rectory on Charlotte Street lived their only son, the Reverend Charles George Coster, who taught at the old Academy (Fredericton Collegiate School), which was first on Brunswick Street and then on George Street. He married Grace C. Holbrook, a daughter of the former headmaster. Rev. Charles Coster boarded some of the out-of-town boys in his home, the western ell of the house having been built to accommodate them.

Archdeacon Coster had eleven daughters, seven of whom married. Volume III of this work mistakenly named Gertrude Coster as the wife of Joseph Edmund Collins; Collins’ wife was Gertrude Anna, a daughter of Dr. Murphy.