Mary, wife of William Ryan

Ryan

Mary, wife of William Ryan, died Oct. 2nd, 1876 aged 29 years. "Parted below united above"

Footstone: “M.D.”

Lot #73. The tombstone in memory of Mary Ryan stood deep in the earth, the inscription partly obliterated, until in 1955 it was broken off. It now lies flat next to its base. The footstone "M.D." is misplaced here. It was erected over the grave of Mary Davidson, Moses Denton, or Margaret Doak and should be replaced.

James Ryan claims a lot in the B. Ground, size 10 or 12 feet by 17 feet, Situate about the centre of the New Part, near Allen Street. This lot is marked by a marble slab to the memory of Mary Ryan. This lot was purchased by the above claimer from H. Chestnut about twenty years ago for the sum of $10 or 12.00. Sept 2[?] 1886.

Lovell’s Directory 1871 lists William Ryan, mason, on King Street. William and Mary shared a home with John Ryan, his father.

According to the census of 1881, a brick maker by the name of James Ryan, 43, Irish and Roman Catholic, was living in Fredericton with his wife, Mary Ann, 40, and their six children.

The family of Major Henry A. Cropley and Mary Thorburn

Cropley

Sacred to the memory of Major H. A. Cropley, 1838-1906. May Cropley, 1844-1919. Caroline, 1866-1868. Elizabeth J. 1871-1874. Arthur, 1874-78. Alfred A., 1877-1901. Albert, 1877-1877. Mary Y. 1881-1899. Susan, 1885-1899. Children of Henry and May Cropley.

Footstones: “Father,”and “Mother.”

Lot #26, 11 x 13, was purchased about 1871 from Henry Chestnut. The large tombstone with inscriptions on its west and south face stands in a lot fenced with iron paling along George Street and along Jewett’s Lane (Sunbury Street). On the iron gate is "CROPLEY".

Henry Cropley was editor and publisher of the Fredericton Capital, a popular weekly newspaper that was begun in 1882 and continued for many years. It was published at the corner of Queen and Regent Streets, upstairs. A painted sign, "JOB PRINTING A. CROPLEY BOOK BINDING PRINTING," was visible on the brick wall facing Regent Street for almost a century. The building has been demolished.

Henry A. Cropley was a Major in the 71st York County Militia, and a very keen officer. His wife was Mary ("May") Thorburn of Stanley, New Brunswick.

Colonial Farmer, Fredericton, NB, 12 October 1863:

m. 7th inst., by Rev. Dr. Brooke, at residence of Jas. TATTERSALL, brother-in-law of the bride, Henry A. CROPLEY, Printer of Boston City / Mary second d/o Robert THORBURN of Fredericton city (York Co.)

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 9 April 1895:

The veterans of 1866 will meet at Edgar’s restaraunt tomorrow night to commemorate the anniversary of their participation in quelling the Fenian at St. Andrews in 1866. Among those who will be present are Lt. Col. MAUNSELL, Lt. Col. MARSH, Lt. Col. HEWITSON, Major LOGGIE, Major CROPLEY, Ex. Mayor BECKWITH and City Clerk BECKWITH and many others.

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 22 May 1895:

Miss Alice Cropley returned yesterday from Waltham, Mass. where she has been studying for a trained nurse in the hospital there and will spend a vacation with her parents, Major Cropley and Mrs. Cropley.

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 21 December 1896:

Miss Alice CROPLEY, who has been during the past ten months, Supt. of the Dixie Hospital and Training School for Nursers, at Hampton, Virginia, is at home spending her vacation.

Alice Cropley, Mrs. Thomas Allen, lived on University Avenue, and she took pride in her father’s uniforms and sword. Her husband, a son of Sir John Allen, the Chief Justice, was a builder and had built the house she lived in. The house at the rear of the residence was originally used as his work area. This building was later occupied by Lucy Jarvis, a well-known New Brunswick artist. Mrs. Allen died 10 March 1956 and is buried in Springhill beside her husband.

John Collins, tailor

Collins

Lot #98 has no monuments.

JOHN COLLINS claims a lot NEW PART of the Burial Ground size 8 x 14. Situate in the 1st section West. Not Enclosed. Bounded North by the F. Adams lot East by the S.R. Miller lot South by the Wm Ryan lot and West by a walk. Mr. Collins purchased this lot from Henry Chestnut some 20 years ago.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 26 July 1850:

m. 12th June, by Rev. Wm Temple, John COLLINS / Miss Margaret KEITH

John Collins, tailor, and his wife, Margaret Keith (or Keefe), had seven children living in 1871. Their eldest son, born 1851, was baptised in the Kirk but the family seem to have been Methodist. A daughter, Alice M., married Charles Elbridge Esty in 1877 and died the following year, aged twenty-two years.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 13 July 1887:

John COLLINS, tailor, died at his residence yesterday after many weeks of failing health. He will probably be buried with Oddfellows ceremony.

Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 23 April 1891:

…died in Fredericton city, at her residence, corner of George and Westmorland streets, a well known lady, Margaret COLLINS relict of John COLLINS. She had been a sufferer for many years from liver complaint which terminated her life at 7 o’clock this morn., 23rd inst. Deceased has been a member of the Methodist Church for many years. Of her family of six, three are residents of Boston. She will be interred in the Methodist Cemetery, Sunday afternoon 2 o’clock.

William T. Atherton, Lizzie Chestnut, and Little Jentie

Atherton

Lizzie Chestnut, wife of William T. Atherton, died January 29, 1868 in her 27th year. "Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God."

William T. Atherton, 1839-1911

Little Jentie "Too lovely a flower for earth. She is gone to dwell in Heaven."

William Treadwell Atherton was the son of George Atherton, hotel keeper, and his wife Rebecca. Elizabeth Janet ("Lizzie") Chestnut, the wife of William, was a daughter of Robert Chestnut. Their son, William H. Atherton, was born 3 October 1863; his middle name is variously recorded as Herved and Hewell.

William T. Atherton was the proprietor of the Brayley House, a hotel opposite the People’s Bank. He purchased his hotel in 1862 from William Segee. His advertisement in the Saint John Morning News, July 1862, described a "first class hotel, good stabling, careful Hosteler, a coach in attendance on the arrival of all steamers… George R. Atherton, William T. Atherton, Livery Stable."

The advertisement of William Segee in the Saint John and Fredericton Business Directory for 1862 had been similar:

BRAYLEY HOUSE, Queen Street, Fredericton, N.B. This house having been built on a modern and convenient plan, the Proprietor is able to offer to the Travelling Public and to PERMANENT and TRANSIENT BOARDERS, superior accommodations, and a table affording all the luxuries of the season. This House is very convenient for CONCERT OR OTHER TROUPES, being opposite the Exhibition Hall, and the CHEAPEST HOUSE IN THE CITY.

The Fredericton Evening Capital, Fredericton, NB, 8 January 1887

George R. ATHERTON breathed his last. He was in his 77th year and had been for some days been prostrated by an attack of apoplexy so that his death was not unexpected. He died at the residence of his son-in-law, W.G. GAUNCE and was buried Sunday in the Methodist cemetery. Rev. Dr. McLeod, of whose church the deceased had been a member, conducted the ceremonies at the house and grave. Mr. Atherton was a descendant, in the third generation, of one of the United Empire Loyalists who after the Revolutionary war preferred the wilderness of New Brunswick. His name was Benjamin ATHERTON, an officer in the British Commissariat. He came to Fredericton and received a grant of a lot of land on which the Government House now stands. Here he continued for some time, engaging in the fur trade with the Indians who made St. Anne’s (Fredericton) their periodical rendezvous. After a residence of some years he was offered his choice of lots between Fredericton and Woodstock in exchange for his grant. He chose Bear Island whither he removed to engage in farming and trading. He had five sons, one of whom, Stephen ATHERTON was the father of the man laid to rest last Sunday. Stephen also had five sons, three of whom are still alive, namely, Israel ATHERTON and John ATHERTON of Fredericton and Stephen now in Nebraska. Benjamin, the other brother, died a few years ago, shortly after establishing the Royal Hotel. George R. Atherton had 12 children by his wife Rebecca Anne McKEEN d/o John McKEEN of Mactaquack. Four of these are still living – Robert ATHERTON in the civil service in St. John; William ATHERTON in British Columbia; Eliza ATHERTON wife of William Grant GAUNCE and George L. ATHERTON, Fredericton druggist. In early life the subject of our sketch was engaged in the lumber business up the river Saint John. When chopping near St. Francis (Madawaska) the head of his comrade’s axe flew off and inflicted a severe gash on his knee. Blood flowed freely. Four miles from camp, the case seemed desperate, but nothing daunted, he dispatched his mate for assistance. Tired of waiting, after some time he tried to crawl toward camp on hands and one knee, but was soon met by a party of rescue and carried on the back of a stalwart friend to shelter. A surgeon was procured with difficulty and the gaping wound stitched up. Israel Atherton, his brother, went up from Fredericton and brought him here where, during an interval of six years, he has since remained. These things happened 44 years ago. He then rented the Commercial Hotel on York St. which he afterwards gave up to his brother and commenced the livery stable business by which he is best known to the general public. The Atherton Stables on York St. were for many years noted headquarters for horseflesh. He contracted to carry the mails from Fredericton to Woodstock and had often more than one hundred horses engaged in that business alone. During the stirring times of the Trent affair, when British troops were being sent to Quebec through Fredericton, he rendered the military authorities valuable assistance in horses and sleds. A few years after this warlike period he went to Halifax where he remained for six years. Returning to Fredericton he has spent the happy eve. of his life in the society of his own kith and kin. The descendants of Benjamin Atherton are now very numerous. In Dr. ATHERTON, now of Toronto, the medical profession has a distinguished member.