The Campbells of Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland, and Kingsclear, New Brunswick

Campbell

In memory of Christianna, beloved wife of James A. Campbell, died 23rd May 1865 aged 54 years.

John Campbell departed this life 22nd Dec. 1931 aged 94.

James A. Campbell died Oct. 22nd 1901 in the 97th year of his age.

Lot #87. James A. Campbell of Kingsclear and his wife are buried here, and it is thought that two of his sons and their wives are also here although there is an inscription for one son only. The tall handsome memorial to his mother is now well nigh illegible. It stands alone in this lot measuring 11 x 14 feet, enclosed by an iron railing. The lot was purchased in 1866.

James Campbell was born in Kirkcudbrightshire. He married Christianna Mitchell, daughter of Alexander Mitchell and his wife, Mary McPherson, who brought their family in 1827 from Inverskip, Renfrewshire, and settled at Scotch Lake in York County, New Brunswick.

William Mitchell, brother of Mrs. Campbell, was the father of James Mitchell, a barrister practising in St. Stephen. The Honourable James Mitchell was first elected in 1882 for the County of Charlotte and had a successful political career, being Premier of New Brunswick.

James A. Campbell and his family were supporters of the Kirk in Fredericton. Their children were Mary, James, Annie, Sarah, John Alexander, and Robert. Mary married William Cooper of Fredericton; James married Isabel Mitchell; Annie died unmarried; Sarah married William Edgar; Robert is believed to have married a Miss Kedey in Saint John; and John Alexander, born 18 February 1838 in Kingsclear, was a farmer all his life.

John Alexander Campbell did much to promote agricultural development, and for several years was a member of the Board of Agriculture, which in the old days acted in an advisory capacity to the Provincial Government. When a boy, he attended an Agricultural Exhibition held at Province Hall, and being greatly impressed with the value of such gatherings to those engaged in farming, he did all in his power to encourage their continuance. For upwards of thirty years he held the presidential office in the Fredericton Agricultural Society, which conducted many successful exhibitions at the capital. When compelled to retire because of advancing years, he became honorary president of the society and its holding company, Fredericton Exhibition Limited.

He offered as a candidate for the Legislative Assembly (York) on a Liberal ticket in 1899, and was elected by a large majority. He was re-elected in 1903 and retired in 1908.

For a number of years prior to his death, the Directors of Fredericton Exhibition Limited made his birthday the occasion for a sleigh drive and visit to his hospitable home. In 1903, when Mr. Frank Cooper was first made a Director of this company, John Campbell, his uncle, was President and presided at the meeting. When he died in 1931, John Campbell held the office of Honorary President. Mr. Cooper continued as a Director for more than fifty years.

John Alexander Campbell was married to Evelina Dunphy. He was survived by one son, John, and four daughters: Ida married Elias Wetmore Henry of Magaguadavic, who was a veterinary surgeon; Christina married Albert Everett; Eliza remained unmarried; and Annie married Dr. J. W. MacNeill who removed from Fredericton to Saskatoon where he became administrator of the Provincial Hospital and received an honorary degree from the University of Saskatchewan.

Nelson Campbell: the shoe store that temperance built

Campbell

Lot #78. There are no tombstones in the Nelson Campbell lot, which was purchased from Moses Hall in 1871. Nelson Campbell, born 1836, is buried here in an unmarked grave.

In 1865 Nelson Campbell was a hotel keeper in Wilmot Alley, but ten years later his establishment was solely a tavern. He prospered, and continued until the Scott Act (Canada Temperance Act, 1878) was enforced, then promptly changed his business to selling custom shoes. Campbell’s Shoe Store was on Queen Street. His assistant there was H. S. Campbell, not a relation. When Nelson Campbell died, H. S. Campbell purchased the business, and for many years it was a leading shoe store in Fredericton.

Nelson Campbell, his wife Margaret, and their children, Clara and Frederick, were members of the Church of Scotland.

Rev. John B. Brownell, missionary

Brownell

Rev. John B. Brownell for 37 years an esteemed Wesleyan minister died March 27th 1864, aged 61 years. Having served his generation by the will of God he fell asleep.

Also his wife Mary, who entered into rest December 15th 1870, aged 66 years. "I shall be satisfied when I awake with Thy likeness."

And their granddaughter, Mary E. MacGibbon died May 14th 1866, aged 6 years.

Footstones: “Mary Brownell,” “Mary E. McGibbon,” and “Rev. J.B. Brownell ‘Of such is the kingdom of heaven’.”

This plot was enclosed by a wrought iron fence, and on the plan of the graveyard is marked "W. McGibbon". The New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66 shows a lumber merchant named William McGibbon on Brunswick Street near Northumberland.

Lieut. David MacGibbon, Loyalist, in 1784 obtained a land grant for 550 acres at Douglas on the north side of the St. John River. In 1785 he married Anne Drummond, a sister of Jacobina, Mrs. Dugald Campbell. Their children were Anne, Susanne, John (1793-1863), and Alexander (1795-1841). There may be a family connection.

Rev. John B. Brownell was never established in Fredericton. He was a missionary from England and administered chiefly in the West Indies.

New Brunswick Reporter and Fredericton Advertiser, Fredericton, NB, 1 April 1864:

d. Fredericton city (York Co.) 27th ult., age 62, residence of his son-in-law, Wm McGibbon, the Rev. B. Brownell, Wesleyan Minister, left widow, one daughter, having buried in different parts of the world all his other children, to the number of 12.

Daily Telegraph, Saint John, NB, 17 December 1870:

d. Thursday 15th inst., Mary Brownell age 66, relict of Rev. J.B. Brownell. Funeral by express train to Fredericton from residence of her son-in-law, Wm McGibbon, Esq., corner King and Pitt Sts. (St. John) Monday 8:30 a.m.

Descendants of the Honourable and Reverend Jonathan Odell

Odell

Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth Ludlow, wife of George M. Odell, M.D., of Fredericton who died April 19, 1861 in the 35th year of her age. "Them that sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."

George Mountain Odell, M.D., died at Newport, Rhode Island, April 21, 1892 in the 75th year of his age. "I believe in the life everlasting."

Charles Odell, C.E., May 27, 1898. Sadie Odell, Dec. 3, 1910. Erected in loving memory of our dear father and mother.

These three tombstones are surrounded by a stone fence.

G.M. Odell at present at Newport State of Rhode Island claims a lot in the burying lot 18 x 24, situate in the north corner enclosed by a wooden fence set on stones. Purchased from Robert Wood about 1861.

The Honourable and Reverend Jonathan Odell came to New Brunswick in 1783 with the New England Loyalists. A clergyman of the Church of England, he was for many years the government Secretary of the Province. His only son, Hon. William Franklin Odell (1774-1844), also a Loyalist, had four sons: William Hunter, George Mountain, James, and Charles. The house in which they were born and brought up had been built by their grandfather, Rev. Jonathan Odell. Their father, William F. Odell, later built "Rookwood", and the original family home ultimately became a residence for the youngest son, Charles.

George Mountain Odell lived for some time in St. Mary’s on the Caleb Fowler farm, which his father subsequently bequeathed to him in 1844. In 1846 he bought a town house in Brunswick Street from Horatio Nelson Drake and married not long after.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 3 November 1847:

Married on Tuesday, the 26th ult. at St. Paul’s Church, Halifax, by the Rev. Dr. Twining, Chaplain of the Garrison, George Mountain Odell M.D., son of the late Hon. W.F. Odell of Fredericton, N.B., to Elizabeth Ludlow, daughter of D.L. Robinson, an uncle of Deputy Commissary General Robinson.

Dr. G.M. Odell married, secondly, Susan Philipse, daughter of Morris Robinson. She was a cousin of the Honourable F.P. Robinson. In 1865, Mrs. George Lee bequeathed to Susan P. Odell, her niece, wife of Dr. George M. Odell, £100, “also her work table and sofa table,” and a portrait of her father Morris Robinson. There is no inscription here in memory of Dr. Odell’s second wife.

New Brunswick Reporter, Fredericton, NB, 27 April 1892:

Intelligence of the death of Dr. Geo. M. Odell at Newport, R.I. last week was heard with sorrow by many of the old families in Fredericton whose physician and friend the deceased had been. Dr. Odell was for many years a leading physician here. His remains were brought to this city Monday and interred in the family enclosure in the old cemetery. The chief mourners were Capt. Odell, nephew of the deceased; Delancy Robinson, F.A.H. Straton and Geo. C. Hunt. Closely following these were all of the city physicians. The pall bearers were Sir John Allen, Judge Fraser, Lt. Col. Maunsell, Andrew Inches, E.H. Wilmot and J. Henry Phair. Capt. Odell was at the bedside for a couple of days before he died and accompanied the remains to the city. Rev. G.G. Roberts performed the last rites at the grave.

Charles Odell, born 16 August 1826, was twice married, first to Maynard Eliza Grange (born 1835) by whom he had two children, Florence Mary and George Grange. In 1867, Charles married, secondly, Sarah, daughter of John D. Kinnear, Judge of Probate for Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. They had five children. His eldest son, George Grange Odell, often visited his father from South America where he worked as an engineer. It is remembered that one of his parrots hid in the Cathedral and disrupted a Sunday service.

Their house, occupied for a hundred years or more by the Odell family, is now the Deanery. It is shown in the first town plat, the plan of which was made by Lieut. Dugald Campbell. Above each of the two upper rooms was a loft or sleeping quarter, entirely separate. The large iron rings bolted into the woodwork were probably placed there to chain deserters during one of the early periods of the movement of troops through Fredericton. Until 1844, this house with gardens, yards, stables, outhouses, together with land in rear, extended to Charlotte Street.