Martha Braine, wife of Alexander McKilligan

McKilligan

Only the stone base for a once large tombstone remains today to mark the graves of the family of Alexander McKilligan of Fredericton. An inscription included in the graveyard notes of Dr. Hannay, which were given to Lillian Brown Maxwell, read:

Sacred to the memory of Martha wife of Alexander McKilligan, who died April 29th 1866 aged 68 years. A native of Forres, Scotland.

Martha’s age at the time of her death is uncertain. The Fredericton census 1851 gives Alexander McKilligan, aged 32; Martha, wife, 40, and Margaret, mother, 60. The census of 1861 lists Alexander McKilligan, 40, baker; Martha, wife, 40; Margaret Ritchie, niece, 19; and Margaret McKilligan, mother, 77. It is likely that both wife and mother lie buried here, and conceivably Alexander McKilligan himself.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 29 April 1842:

Alexander McKilligan — NEW BAKERY Charlotte Street – Adjoining the residence of A.W. McBeath, Esq.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 22 May 1844:

Married at Government House, on the 18th instant, by the Rev. John M. Brooke of St. Paul’s Church, Mr. Alexander McKilligan, to Miss Martha Braine, both of Fredericton.

New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66:

McKilligan, Alexander, City Marshall, Charlotte St. near Sunbury

The Fredericton Evening Capital, Fredericton, NB, 29 May 1886:

Alexander McKILLIGAN was laid to rest in the Old Burying Ground, Fredericton on Thursday. He came to Fredericton 47 years ago from Miramichi to which place he had emigrated from the north of Scotland several years previously. Engaging here in the baking business with Mr. CLARK, whose bake house and shop were in Waterloo Row, he soon branchedout for himself. About that time he married the housekeeper of Lady COLEBROOK wife of Lt. GOV. COLEBROOK. She died long ago and he was buried in the same grave that held his first love. Subsequently he became City Marshall. Marrying a second time, he left the city about twenty years ago, taking up residence on his farm near the junction of the Tay and Nashwaak. There he lived till Tuesday last, periodically coming to town. He was a member of the old St. Andrews Society. He was one of the fathers of curling in N.B. In 1854, John NEILL founded the Fredericton Curling Club and of the eight original members, he alone is left. The others, who have preceded Alex. McKilligan to the grave, were Robert FULTON, Robert THORBURN, John F. TAYLOR, Harry PHAIR, Wm A. McLEAN and James MOORE. McKilligan’s funeral was conducted by Jackson Adams, Undertaker. Rev. A.J. Mowatt performed the ceremonies. McKilligan was 68 years old and leaves a widow and one son.

The family of Major Henry A. Cropley and Mary Thorburn

Cropley

Sacred to the memory of Major H. A. Cropley, 1838-1906. May Cropley, 1844-1919. Caroline, 1866-1868. Elizabeth J. 1871-1874. Arthur, 1874-78. Alfred A., 1877-1901. Albert, 1877-1877. Mary Y. 1881-1899. Susan, 1885-1899. Children of Henry and May Cropley.

Footstones: “Father,”and “Mother.”

Lot #26, 11 x 13, was purchased about 1871 from Henry Chestnut. The large tombstone with inscriptions on its west and south face stands in a lot fenced with iron paling along George Street and along Jewett’s Lane (Sunbury Street). On the iron gate is "CROPLEY".

Henry Cropley was editor and publisher of the Fredericton Capital, a popular weekly newspaper that was begun in 1882 and continued for many years. It was published at the corner of Queen and Regent Streets, upstairs. A painted sign, "JOB PRINTING A. CROPLEY BOOK BINDING PRINTING," was visible on the brick wall facing Regent Street for almost a century. The building has been demolished.

Henry A. Cropley was a Major in the 71st York County Militia, and a very keen officer. His wife was Mary ("May") Thorburn of Stanley, New Brunswick.

Colonial Farmer, Fredericton, NB, 12 October 1863:

m. 7th inst., by Rev. Dr. Brooke, at residence of Jas. TATTERSALL, brother-in-law of the bride, Henry A. CROPLEY, Printer of Boston City / Mary second d/o Robert THORBURN of Fredericton city (York Co.)

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 9 April 1895:

The veterans of 1866 will meet at Edgar’s restaraunt tomorrow night to commemorate the anniversary of their participation in quelling the Fenian at St. Andrews in 1866. Among those who will be present are Lt. Col. MAUNSELL, Lt. Col. MARSH, Lt. Col. HEWITSON, Major LOGGIE, Major CROPLEY, Ex. Mayor BECKWITH and City Clerk BECKWITH and many others.

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 22 May 1895:

Miss Alice Cropley returned yesterday from Waltham, Mass. where she has been studying for a trained nurse in the hospital there and will spend a vacation with her parents, Major Cropley and Mrs. Cropley.

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 21 December 1896:

Miss Alice CROPLEY, who has been during the past ten months, Supt. of the Dixie Hospital and Training School for Nursers, at Hampton, Virginia, is at home spending her vacation.

Alice Cropley, Mrs. Thomas Allen, lived on University Avenue, and she took pride in her father’s uniforms and sword. Her husband, a son of Sir John Allen, the Chief Justice, was a builder and had built the house she lived in. The house at the rear of the residence was originally used as his work area. This building was later occupied by Lucy Jarvis, a well-known New Brunswick artist. Mrs. Allen died 10 March 1956 and is buried in Springhill beside her husband.

The Hovey and Hooper families

Hovey

“Hovey” – there is nothing else inscribed on this handsome stone. The lot is #116 and is in the name of Stephen Hovey.

Sept. 27th [1866] Elizabeth Hovey claims on behalf of her father and his family a lot in the B. Ground, formally known as the "Hooper lot." Size about 18 feet square, and adjoining the Robb lot. Enclosed by a wooden railing. This lot was first purchased by Mrs. Hooper from Henry Chestnut.

Stephen Hovey, born 1812, a son of Stephen and Harriet Sayre Hovey, is most likely buried here, as well as his wife, Eliza Jane Agnew, born 1816. They lived in Fredericton from 1830 to 1900. Stephen Hovey was a filer on Charlotte Street. According to the census, 1861, their children were James, aged 22; Jane, 19; Rebecca and Harriet, twins, 17; Mary Alice, 14; Stephen E., 12; Allan, 10; Robert, 8; Isabell, 6; Charles, 4; and Elizabeth, 2. In the 1871 census the children of the household were Isabell, 15; Charles, 13; Elizabeth, 11; and Clara, 9. In the 1881 census, Stephen J. Hovey, 63, carpenter, and his wife Jane, 59, are listed with three of their daughters: Isabell, 24, a dressmaker; Lizzie, 20; and Clara, 18.

The first of the name, Aaron Hovey, came to the lower St. John River in 1769. In 1770 he claimed a 200-acre lot in consequence of a lease to Edmund Price, the father of his wife Dorothy. In 1783, according to the Studholm Report, he was living in Gagetown in a log house, with about 10 acres cleared. He eventually settled in the Miramichi. The children of Aaron Hovey and Dorothy Price were Janet, Abigail, Dorothy, Stephen (born 1783), Mary, Aaron (born 1788), Susanna (born 1793), Edmund (born 1795), James, Moses, Jacob Barker (born 1801), Allen, Jane (born 1797), and Asenath Ann (born 1808). Four daughters of Aaron Hovey married into Price families.

Aaron Hovey died 1839 in Ludlow, New Brunswick.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 25 December 1839:

Died at Ludlow [Southwest Miramichi], after a short illness, This truly pious and exemplary Christian was born in Massachusetts, then a British colony, in 1761. He had been a resident of the parish of Ludlow for 28 years, during the whole of which period it had been his constant practice to assemble his neighbours upon the Sabbath day for the public worship of God. Upon these occasions he confined himself to reading the scriptures, prayer and exhortations to the holiness of life. His aim was to glorify his Creator and to benefit his destitute fellow men, not to exalt himself, hence his public devotions were marked by great simplicity and primitive brevity, and his private walk and conversation by manners plain and unassuming. To a neighbourhood devoid of regular religious instruction, as in the case with the community in which he lived, such a loss cannot easily be repaired. He closed his useful and blameless life on the 30th day of November, aged 78 years. He has left 126 descendants.

The Hoveys and Hoopers were related through marriage, and many unmarked graves of the Hooper family lie here.

In 1843, N.D. Hooper was a prominent member of the Kirk when the Reverend John M. Brooke arrived. In the 1860s, Nehemiah S. Hooper had a large business of groceries, liquors, and provisions, under the County Court House.

Isabel Agnew Hovey (born 1860) married, in 1880, W. Storey Hooper whose mother had been a Hovey. They lived at 114 George Street, which house had been owned and occupied for generations by the Hooper family. Storey Hooper, insurance agent, was manager of the Fredericton Exhibition Association and in 1912 was Mayor of Fredericton. He died in 1929, and his wife in 1940.

William Edgar and family

Edgar

In memory of Isabella, wife of William Edgar, died 26th Sept. 1861, aged 59 years.

In memory of Lizzie, wife of Joseph Edgar, died June 20th, 1880, aged 40 years. Also her infant daughter, died June 15th 1880. "Resting in hope of a glorious resurrection."

William Edgar was a millwright who came from Scotland. The Edgar family lived on Regent Street next to the Waverley Hotel.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 7 February 1853:

Married at Fredericton on the 27th ult. by the Rev. John M Brooke, Robert, son of William Cameron to Isabella Monteath daughter of William Edgar of that city.

In 1871, William Edgar, widower, was listed in the census as a farmer. His children were Thomas (born 1828), Mary (born 1829), Isabella (born 1831), George (born 1833), Elizabeth (born 1836), John (born about 1844), and James (born 1845). Mary and Elizabeth were dressmakers, and John and George were harness makers.