John Richards and family

Richards

John Richards claims a lot 10 x 20 NEW PART adjoining the Odell lot. Enclosed by granite posts with iron rods and chains. Mr. Richards purchases this lot from George Botsford.

Only the markers are left: “H.A.R.,” “J.R.,” “E.R.,” “T.R.,” “G.L.R.,” “J.O.W.R.,” and “J.T.R.”

John Richards was born in 1823 and married Helen Ann Long, born 1826. Their children were Helen M., James F., Charles L., Fanny F., Minnie B., and Annie. In the 1851 census, John Richards, 28, is listed with his wife, Helen A., 25, and an infant daughter, Sarah. In 1862 he was a commission merchant, furniture dealer, insurance agent, city auditor, ticket agent, and a prominent Mason. He was a sitting magistrate of York County in the 1870s. He also was secretary-treasurer of the Fredericton Railway Company of which Thomas Temple was President, 1876. When he died in 1897, John Richards was assistant Clerk of the Legislative Assembly.

The marker "E.R." probably refers to John Richards’s Welsh mother, Eleanor, who lived in Fredericton with A.P. Miller and family in 1871.

James White, watchmaker and engineer

White

In memory of Elizabeth wife of James White died July 23, 1873 aged 46 years "Gone but not forgotten"

Elizabeth, wife of James White, and her sister Euphremia (born 1826), were daughters of Alward and Mary Harned, all of whom are believed to be buried in this lot. Elizabeth White lived in the same house at 24 Waterloo Row all her life. It was built by her father. When she and James White married they lived there with her widowed mother, Mary.

James White was inventive. He was a watchmaker and exhibited an astronomical clock at the York County Agricultural Society Exhibition in 1852 and served on a committee for the promotion of manufactures in metal. He was the chief engineer of the Fredericton Fire Department in the 1870s.

In 1871, James was listed in the census as aged 45, Irish, Wesleyan Methodist, and a watchmaker. His wife Elizabeth was 44, and they had three children at that time: Emily Jane, 10; Henry, 6; and Frances, 3 years. Henry ("Harry") White, born 1865, became the manager of the gas works on Shore Street and a keen student of electrical devices. The telescope which stood in his garden was of great interest to young people. His brother, James Junior, was a dry goods merchant.

Lot #53. James White claims a lot in the Old P. B. Ground situate in the Old Part, This is a double lot and bounded as follows, on the north by Jus L Marsh’s lot, and on the south by the late John Anderson’s lot. Mr. White purchased the above lot from Geo Botsford in the year 1860.

Reverend William Smithson and family

Smithson

George C. Hunt and William Smithson claim as joint owners a lot, 18 1/2 x 20 1/3 feet. Situate between the lots of the late Asa Coy and Albert McCausland in the 3rd section north. Surrounded by an iron fence with two gates, one marked W.H. Smithson and the other George C. Hunt. This lot was purchased by the above gentlemen about 1860 from George Botsford, the then Secretary.

Lot #101. In 1886, this lot was claimed by Sophia A. Hunt, the second wife of George C. Hunt, a trader and sea captain.

In memory of Rev. William Smithson, b. 1796, d. May 15, 1860. Also his wife, Elizabeth, b. 1801, d. Jan. 28, 1887. "The memory of the just is blessed."

In memory of Georgianna A.H. Gill, b. Dec. 18, 1842, d. Jan. 25, 1913. "She hath done what she could." Also Julia E. Smithson, b. April 12, 1830, d. Mar. 19, 1908. "At rest." Daughters of Rev. William Smithson.

A footstone inscribed "A.M.S." could be misplaced and may properly belong in the Saunders plot.

The Reverend William Smithson was born in Yorkshire, England, and was for over forty years a Wesleyan Methodist minister. He was resident Methodist minister in Fredericton in 1829, and a Wesleyan minister in Sheffield, 1836-37, subsequently living in St. Stephen and Sackville. His wife was Elizabeth, youngest daughter of Lieut. James Harrison of the New Jersey Volunteers who had settled in Sheffield where Elizabeth was born.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 27 March 1833:

d. 11th inst. Sackville, N.B., Sarah Jane Smithson 2nd d/o Rev. W. Smithson, Wesleyan Missionary, age 3 weeks, 4 days.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 3 February 1841:

Died on the 18th inst. of croup at Milltown, St. Stephen, aged 3 years and 6 month, Thomas Harrison, second son of Rev. Smithson, Wesleyan Missionary.

New Brunswick Reporter, Fredericton, NB, 4 June 1858:

At Woodstock, on Tuesday 1st of June, by the Rev. S.D. Lee Street, rector, Mr. W.H. Smithson, Druggist of Fredericton, to Miss Louise J. youngest daughter of Charles Perley, Esq. M.P.A.

Daily Telegraph, Saint John, NB, 1 February 1887:

The death is announced at Fredericton, of Mrs. Smithson, relict of the late Rev. William Smithson, and mother of Mr. W.H. Smithson, of the General Post Office, Ottawa, Jan. 31, 1887.

The oldest of the three stones marking the Smithson lot is now illegible. When Elizabeth Smithson died in 1887, the inscription read "Husband and Wife." A stone in memory of the son, William H. Smithson (died 1850) has disappeared. The third and tallest stone commemorates the death of two Smithson daughters, Julia and Georgianna.

The census of 1881 suggests that the husband of Georgianna Smithson was most likely Joseph Gaynor Gill, born 1834. According to Wesleyan Methodist Church christening records, Joseph was the son of Thomas and Catherine Gill. He is not buried here. The stone house of Ensign Thomas Gill, Maryland Loyalist, still stands in Lower St. Mary’s.

John Neill, founder of Fredericton Curling Club

Neill

John Neill died Feb. 19, 1893, in the 73rd year of his age. His wife Jane died May 3rd 1912, in the 83rd year of her age.

John E. died May 29th, 1873, ae 21 years. Charlie W. died July 16th, 1870 ae 8 years. Sons of John and Jane Neill.

Thomas A., born July 1859, ae 3 months.

Robert Neill died June 19, 1892, ae 32 years.

Lot #120 was once enclosed with strong posts, rod and chains. The stone is engraved on four sides, with John Neill’s inscription facing west.

John Neill came from Scotland and began a hardware business, Fredericton’s Big Hardware Store, that continued for many years into the third generation. He was the secretary of the Fredericton Society of St. Andrews from 1847 to 1852, and it was he who introduced curling into Fredericton. He founded the Fredericton Curling Club in 1854, and the curling stones were bought at his store. The club originally consisted of eight members: John Neill, Alexander McKilligan, Robert Fulton, Robert Thorburn, John F. Taylor, Barry Phair, William A. McLean, and Thomas Moore. John Neill was the last survivor.

His wife, Jane, was a daughter of Samuel D. MacPherson. The Neills had a large family, which in 1871 consisted of James S., 21; Annie, 19; Frances, 17; Mary, 15; John, 14; Robert, 10; Alice, 5; and Albert and Albertina, twins, 3 years old. James and Albert continued to operate the family business after the death of their father.

John Neill claims a lot in the New Part of the Burial Ground, size about 12 x 16 feet. Bounded south by the late Archdeacon Coster’s lot and on the North by the late James Agnew’s lot. Enclosed by stone posts and chains and is marked by a monument to the claimer’s son John E. Neill. Claimer purchased this lot from Geo Botsford in 1859.