John Elliot Woolford, artist and architect

Woolford

In memory of J. E. Woolford, Esq., late Barrack Master, Fredericton, died 12th Jan. 1866, aged 88 years.

In memory of Margaret, wife of J. E. Woolford, Esq.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 6 February 1833:

Died on Wednesday morning last, the 30th ult., Mrs. Margaret Fullerton, wife of J. E. Woolford, Esquire, Barrack Master of this place, deeply and deservedly regretted.

John Elliot Woolford of the Barracks Department was appointed Assistant Barrack Master at Saint John in 1823. He bore the title until 1839 or 1840 when he was described in the New Brunswick Almanack as Deputy Barrack Master, and in 1842 as Barrack Master. He had charge of the army buildings in Fredericton.

J. E. Woolford was in charge of the building of Government House, and the very fine plans of the same are now in the Archives, Ottawa. The contract for building Government House was awarded to Jedediah Slason, and it was built in 1827.

New Brunswick Royal Gazette, 14 March 1826:

Contracts will be received by William F. Odell, Thomas Wetmore and Samuel D. Street… building a college… rough stone, hewn stone for the corners, boards, planks and scantling.

William F. Odell and the Reverend George Best advertised contracts in the New Brunswick Royal Gazette, April 1826, for a building for King’s College. The contract was awarded to James Taylor and also to Cross and Murray of Saint John. J.E. Woolford was the architect, and a model of the college building which he designed stood in his home.

Had there been a public library at that time, Mr. Woolford probably would have designed it, as the following notice suggests:

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 19 July 1839:

Fredericton Library — A General Meeting of the Proprietors is requested at the residence of Mr. Woolford on Friday afternoon next at 21st instance at 4 o’clock to decide upon the selection of a Library Room and such others matters as may be brought before the meeting. By order of the President. R. Gowan, Secretary.

J.E. Woolford resided in Regent Street opposite the Park Barracks until 1841.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 10 July 1839:

Notice "The Subscriber" respectfully intimates to his friends and the Public that he has taken that commodious and pleasantly situated House in Regent Street owned by Captain James Segee next door to J. E. Woolford, Esq. and nearly opposite to Mr. Donald McLeod where he intends keeping a Genteel Boarding House for the reception of permanent and Transient Boarders. Good staffing is required. Joseph Estabrooks.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 1 November 1841:

Welner-Baile Tailoring Shop in the House lately occupied by Barrack Master Woolford, Regent Street.

He was one of the artists who exhibited at the Grand Exhibition in Saint John in August 1842, and was President of the Floral and Horticultural Society of New Brunswick in 1843. He retired in 1859 from the Barracks Department, but remained in Fredericton until his death.

The Head Quarters, Fredericton, NB, 17 January 1866:

John E. WOOLFORD, Esq., late Barrack Master in this garrison was a native of England, born in London; served under Duke of York in Holland, afterwards under Sir Ralph ABERCROMBIE in Egypt where he was present at all the principal engagements. It was there that his merit as a sketcher of landscapes attracted the attention of Lord Dalhousie, under whose patronage he settled in Scotland on his return as an artist. On Lord DALHOUSIE’s appointment to the Government of Nova Scotia, he accompanied him to that country. In 1821 when his Lordship made a tour through Upper and Lower to Lake Superior, he attended him as an artist, and took views of all the principal residences on their route. In 1823 on a change being made in the Barrack Dept., he received his late appointment to this garrison and held it until 1858. It was the plans of Mr. WOOLFORD that both the College and Government House were built. He was married to a lady of the ERSKINE family, related to Lord BUCHAN and the late Lady DOUGLAS wife of Sir Howard DOUGLAS.

Asa Coy and son, druggists: “Leeches, Leeches, Leeches”

Coy

In Memory of

Mary Ann Coy

Asa Coy

Sarah Coy

Holly Coy

This stone is engraved with "Dear Father and Mother 1885" on the face and one name on each side of its base. The lot was once enclosed by an iron fence with stone posts.

Mollie died July 16, 1876, ae 5 months.

Mollie was a granddaughter of Asa Coy, a child of his daughter Sarah who married J. Henry Phair.

Asa Coy was born in Gagetown in 1799, son of Amasa Coy (1757-1838) and his first wife Elizabeth Holly. He came to Fredericton from Maugerville with his father and was brought up in Fredericton, where he lived out his days. He had two sisters, Sarah Smith and Rebecca Bunnell Simpson, and two stepbrothers, John S. Coy (born 1812) and Amasa P. Coy (born 1815).

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 3 August 1824:

Married by the Rev. George Best, Thomas B. Smith, of Burton, to Sarah, eldest daughter of Mr. Amasa Coy.

Asa married Mary Ann (1805 – 1884) in Fredericton on 29 March 1825, the daughter of Jarvis Ring (born 1781) and his wife, Sarah Hartt of Canning. Asa Coy was a licensed auctioneer and prosperous. The Coy block, where the family lived above the shop, is on the southeast corner of Queen and Regent Streets. The family was Calvinist Baptist, like all early Maugerville settlers. A portrait of Asa and Mary Ann Coy is in the York-Sunbury Historical Society Museum.

In 1836, Asa Coy was Vice President of the Union Fire Club. In 1837 he was treasurer of the New Brunswick Baptist Education Society. In 1838, he founded the Bank of Fredericton, of which he was President. In the general election of 1843, Asa Coy was a candidate in York County but was defeated. In 1847, he set up his son, Asa Holly, as a druggist. "LEECHES LEECHES LEECHES — Asa Coy and Son Druggists," read the sign. Asa Coy was the paymaster of the New Brunswick Yeomanry Cavalry for many years, appointed in 1849. In 1850 he was appointed Receiver of Crown Debts and later Secretary of the Board of Works.

The children of Asa and Mary Ann Coy were Asa Holly (born 25 May 1827), Caroline Ring (born 6 May 1829), Sarah Elizabeth (b. 22 March 1831), Mary Ann (born 1 November 1832), Fanny Rebecca (born 29 April 1835), Harriet Amelia (born 12 September 1837), Fanny Rebecca Simpson (born 14 January 1840), George Frederick (born 9 January 1844), and Amasa Simpson (born 19 April 1846).

Three daughters of Asa Coy died in infancy. It is not known where these children are buried.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 16 March 1836:

Died on Monday morning last, Frances Rebecca, infant daughter of Mr. Asa Coy, aged 10 months.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 25 October 1848:

Died on the 12th instant, 1848, Harriet Amelia, fourth daughter of Asa Coy, Esq. aged 11 years and 1 month. Remarkable from her earliest childhood for her gentleness, amiability and thoughtfulness of disposition, she exhibited in the severe and protracted illness that preceded her death. Also, on the 25th instant Fanny Rebecca, fifth daughter of Asa Coy, ae 8 years and nine months.

Asa Coy’s eldest daughter, Caroline Ring, married Levi Waterhouse, Saint John, and they had one child, Ann. Mary Ann married William Watts, florist, Fredericton, who very comfortably provided for her.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 29 October 1851:

Married at Saint John, on Thursday Morning last, in Trinity Church, by the Reverend Alexander Stewart, Mr. A.H. Coy, Druggist of Fredericton, to Mary Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Stephen K. Foster, Esquire of that City.

Morning News, Saint John, NB, 13 March 1850:

Married, at the Cathedral Church, Fredericton, on Wednesday, the 6th inst. by the Venerable the Archdeacon [Coster], J. Henry Phair, Esq. to Sarah Elizabeth, second daughter of Asa Coy, Esq., of the City.

This marriage proved not to be a happy one.

In 1861, Asa and Mary Ann Coy had their daughter Sarah Phair living with them and their grandson, Edwin, age 10. Asa Coy was then Secretary of the Board of Works, Queen and Regent Streets., and his son, Asa Holly Coy, was clerk of the Board of Works.

Asa Coy died in 1874.

J. Henry Phair as agent for his wife and Mrs. Caroline Waterhouse claims this lot enclosed with iron and post chains, marked by a monument to the late Asa Coy. This lot was formerly purchased from Henry Chestnut.

J. Henry Phair was a barrister and Fishery Commissioner. He was a keen sportsman, of an artistic nature, very personable. He several times went on fishing trips in New Brunswick with Teddy Roosevelt, President of the United States, of whom he was a great admirer. In 1891, J. Henry Phair was appointed Clerk of the Legislative Council. This Council met for the last time in 1892 but the salary of the Clerk continued for his lifetime.

Asa Coy, 31 March 1846 — “My Grandfather’s Family on my Father’s Side":

Sarah — Mrs. Plummer, first child. Died several years ago at the Nashwaak leaving several children and a numerous progeny of grandchildren.

Amasa — Born in Connecticut then a British colony, 24 July 1757. Married at Gagetown, 1797 or 1798 to Elizabeth Holly. Three children Asa, Sarah Smith and Rebecca Simpson. Married the Widow Smith in Burton in ? Two children, Johnny and Amasa, who died in Burton. Amasa and Elizabeth Holly were my parents. He died at Fredericton July 18, 1838.

Asa — Third child. Died before marriage, smallpox.

Edward — Still alive, lives in Canning, Queen’s County. Several children

Hannah — Mrs. Cromwell, died four or five years ago at Burton. Four children. She was the first English girl born on the St. John River

John — died many years ago at the Nashwaak. Several children

Rebecca — Mrs. Bunnell. Died in Fredericton 1846. Left no issue.

Levine — Mrs. Turney. Died several years ago at Swan Creek. Left several children

Mary — Mrs. Morris now Mrs. Bradley. Never had any children.

David — lives at Gagetown. Several children

Benjamin — Also lives at Gagetown. Several Children. Is an ordained minister in connection with the Baptist Association of this Province.

Eliza Ann Booth, wife of John Cole

Booth

Eliza Ann, wife of John Cole and daughter of John and Jane Booth. Died in this city 6 Oct., 1876, age 67.

Her husband, John Cole, who died in 1873, is not buried here. Other graves may be in this lot.

New Brunswick Royal Gazette, 4 August 1827:

Married, Fredericton, on the 26th ult. by the Venerable Archdeacon Best, John Cole, Gagetown, to Miss Eliza, youngest daughter of the late John Booth of St. John.

Jane, wife of John Booth, died 12 October 1812, in the 38th year of her age, and John Booth, clock and watchmaker, died in 1813. They had been prominent in Saint John and were buried there. Loyalists of New Brunswick, by Esther Clark Wright, lists John Booth, Loyalist, watchmaker.

John Cole and his wife Eliza Ann mortgaged their farm in St. Mary’s in 1858 to John Harding. Their farm was next to that of Benjamin Yerxa and had 36 rods frontage with cottage. In Fredericton, John Cole was a tanner and a collector of taxes. He had a son, Samuel, born in 1852, who was a shoemaker.