Abraham Henry Clark, builder

Clark

In memory of A. Henry Clark, died in Fredericton, July 11th, 1865 aged 56 years and his wife Christianna, died Feb. 5th, 1887 age 79 years.

Also their son Edwin B. who died at Jacksonville, Florida, April 4, 1871 in the 27th year of his age.

Footstones: “Mother” and “Father.”

Lot #44, 10 x 12 feet, was purchased in 1866 and contains one large stone inscribed on two sides. The engraved symbol on the top of Edwin Clark’s epitaph is an anchor and rope. There were five graves here enclosed by wooden paling painted black. Besides the graves of A. Henry Clark and his wife and son, there are two unmarked graves: Louisa Augusta, born 1 December 1837, died 22 August 1918; and George Samuel Clark, born 7 May 1846, died 12 December 1922.

Abraham Henry Clark, born 19 May 1807, was the eldest son of Samuel Clark and his wife Abigail Jewett. He was born on the farm at Keswick Ridge and became a house builder in Fredericton and was one of the best.

He married, on 7 May 1835, Christianna ("Ann") Bain, born 6 August 1808. This marriage was one of the first performed under the new law which permitted dissenting clergymen in New Brunswick to perform the marriage ceremony. Christianna Bain was of Scottish descent and a devout Christian. Prior to her death she was an invalid for some years.

Henry Clark brought his bride to a large house which he bought and improved — the King Street property of Thomas Everett. He subsequently built two houses in George Street.

The children of Henry and Christianna were Henry Bradford (1836-1921), Louisa Augusta (1837-1918), Charles Frederick (1841-1927), Edwin B. (1845-1871), and George Samuel (1846-1922).

Henry Bradford, the eldest son, a builder like his father, married Hannah Barker, daughter of Andrew Ritchie, also a noted builder of houses. She was a granddaughter of William Anderson, High Sheriff of York County (1801-1811), a noted Loyalist and a trader. His father, John Anderson, long connected with Nova Scotia as a trader and once a rival of Hazen, Simonds & White, bequeathed to his son William Anderson the 10,000-acre Monckton Grant and a tremendous debt. Henry Bradford Clark built the house in George Street, now numbered 759, in which he and his wife first resided and reared a family.

Miss Louisa Augusta and her youngest brother, George, remained unmarried and resided together for many years in one of the houses built by their father on George Street opposite the Old Burying Ground. George was employed by the Fred Edgecombe company for years as manager of one of the departments in the store.

Robert Anderson and Maria Lockhart

Anderson

In memory of Robert Anderson, who died April 20, 1870, aged 35 years. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord".

In memory of Maria, wife of Robert Anderson, died in Boston, Oct. 10, 1883, aged 47 years. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord."

Footstone: “R.A. “

According to the New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66, Robert Anderson was a baker on Queen Street near Regent Street. His home was on Charlotte Street near St. John Street. His wife was Maria, daughter of William and Rebecca Lockhart who came to New Brunswick in 1845, according to the 1851 census. His son, William Lockhart Anderson, was three years old when Robert Anderson died. Maria, a dress maker in 1881, died when her son was fifteen. He married Ella Sophie Pallen in 1893 and was the father of Ethel (born 1894) and Marion (born 1896) Anderson.

James White, watchmaker and engineer

White

In memory of Elizabeth wife of James White died July 23, 1873 aged 46 years "Gone but not forgotten"

Elizabeth, wife of James White, and her sister Euphremia (born 1826), were daughters of Alward and Mary Harned, all of whom are believed to be buried in this lot. Elizabeth White lived in the same house at 24 Waterloo Row all her life. It was built by her father. When she and James White married they lived there with her widowed mother, Mary.

James White was inventive. He was a watchmaker and exhibited an astronomical clock at the York County Agricultural Society Exhibition in 1852 and served on a committee for the promotion of manufactures in metal. He was the chief engineer of the Fredericton Fire Department in the 1870s.

In 1871, James was listed in the census as aged 45, Irish, Wesleyan Methodist, and a watchmaker. His wife Elizabeth was 44, and they had three children at that time: Emily Jane, 10; Henry, 6; and Frances, 3 years. Henry ("Harry") White, born 1865, became the manager of the gas works on Shore Street and a keen student of electrical devices. The telescope which stood in his garden was of great interest to young people. His brother, James Junior, was a dry goods merchant.

Lot #53. James White claims a lot in the Old P. B. Ground situate in the Old Part, This is a double lot and bounded as follows, on the north by Jus L Marsh’s lot, and on the south by the late John Anderson’s lot. Mr. White purchased the above lot from Geo Botsford in the year 1860.

John Anderson and Family

Anderson

John Anderson died Feb. 3, 1886 aged 66 years. Also Mary, his wife, died Jan. 3, 1895 aged 77 years.

Rachel I., wife of Samuel Owen, died May 4, 1886, aged 42 years. Also Mary Anderson, died May 3, 1864 aged 2 years & 6 months.

John A. Jewett, 1886-1951

Arch. H. Jewett, 1841-1922, Eliza J., 1852-1928

Footstones: "Mother" and "Father."

John Anderson, liquor dealer and grocer, owned property on George Street extending from Regent Street halfway down the block to St. John Street. He was born in Ireland and his wife in Wales. They attended the Kirk. One daughter, Rachel Isabelle, married Samuel Owen who had a dry goods store in Fredericton for many years. Another daughter, Eliza Jane, married Archibald Henry Jewett, a son of David Jewett and grandson of the Loyalist Daniel Jewett. John Anderson Jewett was their son.

This lot, #84, was originally fenced with tall cement posts and an iron rail. Samuel Owen’s little daughter, Mary, was the first to be buried in this lot.