The family of Major Henry A. Cropley and Mary Thorburn

Cropley

Sacred to the memory of Major H. A. Cropley, 1838-1906. May Cropley, 1844-1919. Caroline, 1866-1868. Elizabeth J. 1871-1874. Arthur, 1874-78. Alfred A., 1877-1901. Albert, 1877-1877. Mary Y. 1881-1899. Susan, 1885-1899. Children of Henry and May Cropley.

Footstones: “Father,”and “Mother.”

Lot #26, 11 x 13, was purchased about 1871 from Henry Chestnut. The large tombstone with inscriptions on its west and south face stands in a lot fenced with iron paling along George Street and along Jewett’s Lane (Sunbury Street). On the iron gate is "CROPLEY".

Henry Cropley was editor and publisher of the Fredericton Capital, a popular weekly newspaper that was begun in 1882 and continued for many years. It was published at the corner of Queen and Regent Streets, upstairs. A painted sign, "JOB PRINTING A. CROPLEY BOOK BINDING PRINTING," was visible on the brick wall facing Regent Street for almost a century. The building has been demolished.

Henry A. Cropley was a Major in the 71st York County Militia, and a very keen officer. His wife was Mary ("May") Thorburn of Stanley, New Brunswick.

Colonial Farmer, Fredericton, NB, 12 October 1863:

m. 7th inst., by Rev. Dr. Brooke, at residence of Jas. TATTERSALL, brother-in-law of the bride, Henry A. CROPLEY, Printer of Boston City / Mary second d/o Robert THORBURN of Fredericton city (York Co.)

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 9 April 1895:

The veterans of 1866 will meet at Edgar’s restaraunt tomorrow night to commemorate the anniversary of their participation in quelling the Fenian at St. Andrews in 1866. Among those who will be present are Lt. Col. MAUNSELL, Lt. Col. MARSH, Lt. Col. HEWITSON, Major LOGGIE, Major CROPLEY, Ex. Mayor BECKWITH and City Clerk BECKWITH and many others.

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 22 May 1895:

Miss Alice Cropley returned yesterday from Waltham, Mass. where she has been studying for a trained nurse in the hospital there and will spend a vacation with her parents, Major Cropley and Mrs. Cropley.

The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB, 21 December 1896:

Miss Alice CROPLEY, who has been during the past ten months, Supt. of the Dixie Hospital and Training School for Nursers, at Hampton, Virginia, is at home spending her vacation.

Alice Cropley, Mrs. Thomas Allen, lived on University Avenue, and she took pride in her father’s uniforms and sword. Her husband, a son of Sir John Allen, the Chief Justice, was a builder and had built the house she lived in. The house at the rear of the residence was originally used as his work area. This building was later occupied by Lucy Jarvis, a well-known New Brunswick artist. Mrs. Allen died 10 March 1956 and is buried in Springhill beside her husband.

Descendants of the Honourable and Reverend Jonathan Odell

Odell

Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth Ludlow, wife of George M. Odell, M.D., of Fredericton who died April 19, 1861 in the 35th year of her age. "Them that sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."

George Mountain Odell, M.D., died at Newport, Rhode Island, April 21, 1892 in the 75th year of his age. "I believe in the life everlasting."

Charles Odell, C.E., May 27, 1898. Sadie Odell, Dec. 3, 1910. Erected in loving memory of our dear father and mother.

These three tombstones are surrounded by a stone fence.

G.M. Odell at present at Newport State of Rhode Island claims a lot in the burying lot 18 x 24, situate in the north corner enclosed by a wooden fence set on stones. Purchased from Robert Wood about 1861.

The Honourable and Reverend Jonathan Odell came to New Brunswick in 1783 with the New England Loyalists. A clergyman of the Church of England, he was for many years the government Secretary of the Province. His only son, Hon. William Franklin Odell (1774-1844), also a Loyalist, had four sons: William Hunter, George Mountain, James, and Charles. The house in which they were born and brought up had been built by their grandfather, Rev. Jonathan Odell. Their father, William F. Odell, later built "Rookwood", and the original family home ultimately became a residence for the youngest son, Charles.

George Mountain Odell lived for some time in St. Mary’s on the Caleb Fowler farm, which his father subsequently bequeathed to him in 1844. In 1846 he bought a town house in Brunswick Street from Horatio Nelson Drake and married not long after.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 3 November 1847:

Married on Tuesday, the 26th ult. at St. Paul’s Church, Halifax, by the Rev. Dr. Twining, Chaplain of the Garrison, George Mountain Odell M.D., son of the late Hon. W.F. Odell of Fredericton, N.B., to Elizabeth Ludlow, daughter of D.L. Robinson, an uncle of Deputy Commissary General Robinson.

Dr. G.M. Odell married, secondly, Susan Philipse, daughter of Morris Robinson. She was a cousin of the Honourable F.P. Robinson. In 1865, Mrs. George Lee bequeathed to Susan P. Odell, her niece, wife of Dr. George M. Odell, £100, “also her work table and sofa table,” and a portrait of her father Morris Robinson. There is no inscription here in memory of Dr. Odell’s second wife.

New Brunswick Reporter, Fredericton, NB, 27 April 1892:

Intelligence of the death of Dr. Geo. M. Odell at Newport, R.I. last week was heard with sorrow by many of the old families in Fredericton whose physician and friend the deceased had been. Dr. Odell was for many years a leading physician here. His remains were brought to this city Monday and interred in the family enclosure in the old cemetery. The chief mourners were Capt. Odell, nephew of the deceased; Delancy Robinson, F.A.H. Straton and Geo. C. Hunt. Closely following these were all of the city physicians. The pall bearers were Sir John Allen, Judge Fraser, Lt. Col. Maunsell, Andrew Inches, E.H. Wilmot and J. Henry Phair. Capt. Odell was at the bedside for a couple of days before he died and accompanied the remains to the city. Rev. G.G. Roberts performed the last rites at the grave.

Charles Odell, born 16 August 1826, was twice married, first to Maynard Eliza Grange (born 1835) by whom he had two children, Florence Mary and George Grange. In 1867, Charles married, secondly, Sarah, daughter of John D. Kinnear, Judge of Probate for Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. They had five children. His eldest son, George Grange Odell, often visited his father from South America where he worked as an engineer. It is remembered that one of his parrots hid in the Cathedral and disrupted a Sunday service.

Their house, occupied for a hundred years or more by the Odell family, is now the Deanery. It is shown in the first town plat, the plan of which was made by Lieut. Dugald Campbell. Above each of the two upper rooms was a loft or sleeping quarter, entirely separate. The large iron rings bolted into the woodwork were probably placed there to chain deserters during one of the early periods of the movement of troops through Fredericton. Until 1844, this house with gardens, yards, stables, outhouses, together with land in rear, extended to Charlotte Street.

Descendants of John Gregory

Gregory

Sacred to the memory of John Gregory, born in Edinburgh, Scotland, Oct. 13, 1806, died in Fredericton Oct. 29, 1861. Also his wife, Mary Grosvenor, born in Fredericton July 18, 1814, died Nov. 20, 1877.

In loving memory of Lydia Jane, third daughter of John Gregory born June 8, 1851, died Nov. 2, 1928.

Sacred to the memory of Mary Eloise, wife of George Goodrich Fraser and eldest daughter of John and Mary Gregory, born Jan. 30, 1836, died Oct. 21, 1916.

Thomas Archer Gregory, M.D., born Aug. 11, 1834, died June 8, 1881, son of John Gregory.

S. Georgina Archer Gregory, 1856-1940.

IHS Frederick Philipse Robinson, 1855-1931.

Harry Woodforde Gregory, M.D. 1864-1901.

Mildred Kingdon Gregory, died April 5, 1892 aged one year and ten months, daughter of Albert James Gregory, son of John Gregory.

John Simeon Armstrong

Lot #191 was claimed in 1886.

George F. Gregory claims for his brothers and sisters, Mary E. Fraser, W.O. Gregory, Charles C. Gregory, Edward F. Gregory, John Brunswick Gregory, Sarah Ann Dunham, Lydia Jane Gregory, Georgina A. Gregory, Albert J. Gregory, John Gregory, Harry Gregory and Harry Allen a lot 18 x 29 feet. New Part, near Allen Street. Adjoins the Estey lot and is enclosed by an iron railing and marked by a monument to John Gregory.

John Gregory, the head of this family, came from Edinburgh to New Brunswick in 1820. He married Mary A. Grosvenor, fifth daughter of the late Samuel Grosvenor, in September 1833. Her brother, William Grosvenor, sold dry goods and wine on Queen Street.

John and Mary had twelve children: Thomas Archer, Mary Eloise, William Odell, George Frederick, Charles Currie, Sarah Anne, Edward Fulton, John Brunswick, Lydia Jane, Samuel Grosvenor, Georgina Archer, and Albert James. John Gregory bought the home of Dr. Charles Earle, a log cabin, the first building the Loyalists erected. In its modernised form, it was "Acacia Grove," the home of John Gregory’s son, Albert Gregory, Q.C.

John Gregory was fifty-five when he died. He had been a Clerk in the Provincial Secretary’s office since 1825 and for many years clerk assistant in the Legislative Council, "in which capacities he discharged his duties in a most able and efficient manner. Funeral tomorrow, Thursday the 31st instant at 3 o’clock" (Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 30 October 1861).

Thomas Archer Gregory, M.D., was forty-seven when he was thrown from his wagon at City Hall Ferry Landing and killed, the cause a runaway horse. The eldest child of John and Mary, he was married to Lucy Woodforde Smith, who died after 1910 and is buried here with him. They lived on the north side of King Street, about halfway between York and Westmorland. Their son, Dr. Harry Woodforde Gregory, practised at Stanley.

A small stone "IHS" marks the grave of Mary Eloise.

Frederick Philipse Robinson was a son-in-law of John Gregory, having married Georgina ("Georgie"), and lies buried here beside her.

"J.S.A." marks the grave of John Simeon Armstrong, prominent engineer, who married Lydia Jane, third daughter of John and Mary Gregory. He was the son of Rev. George M. Armstrong and his wife Octavia Bowman. He was a member of the contracting firm that built Dorchester Penitentiary, Trinity Church, and City Hall in Saint John after that city’s Great Fire. He was the first engineer to urge the feasibility of dredging and using Courtney Bay, Saint John.

Lydia Jane ("Jeannie") graduated with M.A. Honours from the University of New Brunswick. She was the first teacher appointed under the new school law in New Brunswick and for many years was on the staff of the Collegiate Institute, Fredericton, under the principalship of Dr. George R. Parkin. She established Netherwood, a school for girls at Rothesay of which she was principal and which she successfully conducted for ten years. She retired in 1905, on which occasion she was presented with a handsome testimonial by her pupils.

In memory of Marion Birkmyre, wife of Geo F. Gregory, died 7th Jan., 1871, aged 28 years. Also their daughter, Alice Myrtle, died 22 Dec., 1863, aged 3 months.

Judge George Frederick Gregory was born in Fredericton on 31 August 1839, the son of John and Mary Gregory. He married Marion Birkmyre Beverly (born 1843), a daughter of Francis Beverly, and joined the Presbyterian Church. His parents, brothers, sisters, and children were all members of the Church of England.

Speaking of the 1860 marriage of George F. Gregory, his descendants say, "He was twenty-one, and she was eighteen, and he was a thousand dollars in debt." There were five children of this marriage: Alice Myrtle; Fraser; Mabel, who married Hedley V.B. Bridges; Edith, died 1950; and Gertrude, Mrs. William Alexander MacRae.

George Gregory was admitted an attorney in 1863 and called to the bar in 1865. He was for twenty-two years a partner of A.G. Blair and became a Justice of the Supreme Court of New Brunswick. His home, corner of Church and George Street, stood opposite that of Mr. Blair and was bought by the Cathedral to be a residence for Bishop J.A. Richardson. The Gregory property extended to Charlotte Street.

In 1871, while George F. Gregory was Mayor of Fredericton, his wife Marion died. He was Mayor again (1878-1880) when he married, secondly, Isabella Louisa, widow of Charles J. Davis.

Richard Estey

Estey

In memory of Ann, wife of Richard Estey, born April 13, 1815, died May 22, 1866.

Martha Ann, daughter of Richard and Ann Estey, who died April 16, 1862 in the 25th year of her age.

Richard Estey, mill owner and lumber dealer of the Post Road, Fredericton, married Ann Pickard. His mill was near Mill Creek below Fredericton. His wife and daughter are buried here. Another daughter was the second wife of John Allen, only son of Hon. Isaac Allen. His son, Richard A. Estey, had a mill on the bank of the river above Westmorland Street, at the top of Campbell Street.

The first Estey family, Isaac and Mary, settled in Maugerville in 1764.