Cameron and Rutter

Cameron

Sacred to the memory of Mother and Father. Nathaniel Cameron died Sept. 19th 1879 aged 81 years; his wife Martha H. died March 27th 1869 aged 60 years.

John Cameron, born Feb. 17th 1831, died March 15th 1892.

William Cameron born July 26th 1834, died July 1, 1906.

James N. Cameron, born Oct. 10th 1839, died July 26th 1893.

In memory of Martha Cameron who departed this life March 27th 1869 aged 60 years.

Sacred to the memory Thomas Rutter who departed this life May 22nd 1865 aged 44 years.

Lots #67 and #68. Both lots are the same size, and marked "Cameron" on the plan of the burial ground.

In Lot #67, measuring 13 x 14 feet, surrounded by a cast iron ornamental fence, are five graves of the Cameron family. There are three tombstones in this lot, but that to the memory of Thomas Rutter applies to his grave in the lot next adjoining, #68. Six footstones are inscribed "W.C.," "J.C.," "N.C.," "M.C.," "T.R.," and "J.N.C." The footstone marked "T.R." is also misplaced.

Nathaniel Cameron married Martha Agnew on 27 April 1828, at which time the bride’s father, William Agnew, and his family were living in St. Mary’s. Nathaniel Cameron and his three sons, John, William, and James N., were butchers and prosperous. They had a butcher shop in King Street on the corner of St. John Street, and another most successful business in York Street near Queen Street. McCarthy, another butcher, was a partner to this last establishment.

Lot #68 contains the graves of Thomas Rutter, cabinetmaker, and his wife, Martha, daughter of Nathaniel and Martha Cameron. Only the base for one post remains of a cast iron fence which surrounded this lot, similar to that around the Cameron graves. Thomas Rutter built and occupied the house on St. John Street that was later occupied by Mrs. A. E. Hanson.

Lot #68. Mr. John Cameron claims for Mrs. M. Rutter a lot in the Burial Ground. Size about 12 x 14 feet. Situate in the New part, Bounded on the North by Hon. Chas. McPhersons [sic] Lot, On the South by the Cameron Lot, On the East by S.L. Tilleys Lot, and on the West by Allen Street. Enclosed with an iron paling, and marked by a Monument to the late Thomas Rutter. This lot was purchased from the Sec. of the Citizens Comt by the late Thomas Rutter.

The Hovey and Hooper families

Hovey

“Hovey” – there is nothing else inscribed on this handsome stone. The lot is #116 and is in the name of Stephen Hovey.

Sept. 27th [1866] Elizabeth Hovey claims on behalf of her father and his family a lot in the B. Ground, formally known as the "Hooper lot." Size about 18 feet square, and adjoining the Robb lot. Enclosed by a wooden railing. This lot was first purchased by Mrs. Hooper from Henry Chestnut.

Stephen Hovey, born 1812, a son of Stephen and Harriet Sayre Hovey, is most likely buried here, as well as his wife, Eliza Jane Agnew, born 1816. They lived in Fredericton from 1830 to 1900. Stephen Hovey was a filer on Charlotte Street. According to the census, 1861, their children were James, aged 22; Jane, 19; Rebecca and Harriet, twins, 17; Mary Alice, 14; Stephen E., 12; Allan, 10; Robert, 8; Isabell, 6; Charles, 4; and Elizabeth, 2. In the 1871 census the children of the household were Isabell, 15; Charles, 13; Elizabeth, 11; and Clara, 9. In the 1881 census, Stephen J. Hovey, 63, carpenter, and his wife Jane, 59, are listed with three of their daughters: Isabell, 24, a dressmaker; Lizzie, 20; and Clara, 18.

The first of the name, Aaron Hovey, came to the lower St. John River in 1769. In 1770 he claimed a 200-acre lot in consequence of a lease to Edmund Price, the father of his wife Dorothy. In 1783, according to the Studholm Report, he was living in Gagetown in a log house, with about 10 acres cleared. He eventually settled in the Miramichi. The children of Aaron Hovey and Dorothy Price were Janet, Abigail, Dorothy, Stephen (born 1783), Mary, Aaron (born 1788), Susanna (born 1793), Edmund (born 1795), James, Moses, Jacob Barker (born 1801), Allen, Jane (born 1797), and Asenath Ann (born 1808). Four daughters of Aaron Hovey married into Price families.

Aaron Hovey died 1839 in Ludlow, New Brunswick.

Royal Gazette, Fredericton, NB, 25 December 1839:

Died at Ludlow [Southwest Miramichi], after a short illness, This truly pious and exemplary Christian was born in Massachusetts, then a British colony, in 1761. He had been a resident of the parish of Ludlow for 28 years, during the whole of which period it had been his constant practice to assemble his neighbours upon the Sabbath day for the public worship of God. Upon these occasions he confined himself to reading the scriptures, prayer and exhortations to the holiness of life. His aim was to glorify his Creator and to benefit his destitute fellow men, not to exalt himself, hence his public devotions were marked by great simplicity and primitive brevity, and his private walk and conversation by manners plain and unassuming. To a neighbourhood devoid of regular religious instruction, as in the case with the community in which he lived, such a loss cannot easily be repaired. He closed his useful and blameless life on the 30th day of November, aged 78 years. He has left 126 descendants.

The Hoveys and Hoopers were related through marriage, and many unmarked graves of the Hooper family lie here.

In 1843, N.D. Hooper was a prominent member of the Kirk when the Reverend John M. Brooke arrived. In the 1860s, Nehemiah S. Hooper had a large business of groceries, liquors, and provisions, under the County Court House.

Isabel Agnew Hovey (born 1860) married, in 1880, W. Storey Hooper whose mother had been a Hovey. They lived at 114 George Street, which house had been owned and occupied for generations by the Hooper family. Storey Hooper, insurance agent, was manager of the Fredericton Exhibition Association and in 1912 was Mayor of Fredericton. He died in 1929, and his wife in 1940.

Stevenson and MacPherson

Stevenson

William Stevenson, b. June 15, 1800, d. Mar. 21, 1872. Mary, his wife, b. June 17, 1797, d. Jan. 7, 1860.

James D. MacPherson, born Oct. 15, 1824, died Jan. 29, 1888.

These inscriptions are on either side of a substantial stone.

William Stevenson was a grocer, Queen and Phoenix Square, according to the New Brunswick Directory for 1865-66.

James MacPherson was a harness maker. Samuel D. McPherson advertised in the New Brunswick Directory his Saddle and Harness manufactory in Queen Street which had been established for thirty-four years. James was a son of Samuel and a member of that important business. He was a brother of Mary Stevenson, and also of Jane, Mrs. John Neill, and Elizabeth, Mrs. Justin Spahnn.

John MacPherson, son of James, was born in 1842. At the age of 11, he was a lodger in the home of his aunt, Mrs. Stevenson. In 1871, when William Stevenson retired, he was living with his nephew John and his wife Anne. John MacPherson continued the business of Stevenson’s grocery store.

John MacPherson claims a lot in the Burial ground. Size about 13 x 8 feet, situate in the New Part 3rd Sec. West. Bounded north by William Needham’s lot, south by the Agnew lot, East and West by walks Said lot extending between them. Not enclosed but marked by a monument to claimer’s Aunt, Mary Stevenson. This lot was first purchased by the late William Stevenson, who at his death willed it to the above claimant.

John Neill, founder of Fredericton Curling Club

Neill

John Neill died Feb. 19, 1893, in the 73rd year of his age. His wife Jane died May 3rd 1912, in the 83rd year of her age.

John E. died May 29th, 1873, ae 21 years. Charlie W. died July 16th, 1870 ae 8 years. Sons of John and Jane Neill.

Thomas A., born July 1859, ae 3 months.

Robert Neill died June 19, 1892, ae 32 years.

Lot #120 was once enclosed with strong posts, rod and chains. The stone is engraved on four sides, with John Neill’s inscription facing west.

John Neill came from Scotland and began a hardware business, Fredericton’s Big Hardware Store, that continued for many years into the third generation. He was the secretary of the Fredericton Society of St. Andrews from 1847 to 1852, and it was he who introduced curling into Fredericton. He founded the Fredericton Curling Club in 1854, and the curling stones were bought at his store. The club originally consisted of eight members: John Neill, Alexander McKilligan, Robert Fulton, Robert Thorburn, John F. Taylor, Barry Phair, William A. McLean, and Thomas Moore. John Neill was the last survivor.

His wife, Jane, was a daughter of Samuel D. MacPherson. The Neills had a large family, which in 1871 consisted of James S., 21; Annie, 19; Frances, 17; Mary, 15; John, 14; Robert, 10; Alice, 5; and Albert and Albertina, twins, 3 years old. James and Albert continued to operate the family business after the death of their father.

John Neill claims a lot in the New Part of the Burial Ground, size about 12 x 16 feet. Bounded south by the late Archdeacon Coster’s lot and on the North by the late James Agnew’s lot. Enclosed by stone posts and chains and is marked by a monument to the claimer’s son John E. Neill. Claimer purchased this lot from Geo Botsford in 1859.