James White, watchmaker and engineer

White

In memory of Elizabeth wife of James White died July 23, 1873 aged 46 years "Gone but not forgotten"

Elizabeth, wife of James White, and her sister Euphremia (born 1826), were daughters of Alward and Mary Harned, all of whom are believed to be buried in this lot. Elizabeth White lived in the same house at 24 Waterloo Row all her life. It was built by her father. When she and James White married they lived there with her widowed mother, Mary.

James White was inventive. He was a watchmaker and exhibited an astronomical clock at the York County Agricultural Society Exhibition in 1852 and served on a committee for the promotion of manufactures in metal. He was the chief engineer of the Fredericton Fire Department in the 1870s.

In 1871, James was listed in the census as aged 45, Irish, Wesleyan Methodist, and a watchmaker. His wife Elizabeth was 44, and they had three children at that time: Emily Jane, 10; Henry, 6; and Frances, 3 years. Henry ("Harry") White, born 1865, became the manager of the gas works on Shore Street and a keen student of electrical devices. The telescope which stood in his garden was of great interest to young people. His brother, James Junior, was a dry goods merchant.

Lot #53. James White claims a lot in the Old P. B. Ground situate in the Old Part, This is a double lot and bounded as follows, on the north by Jus L Marsh’s lot, and on the south by the late John Anderson’s lot. Mr. White purchased the above lot from Geo Botsford in the year 1860.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *